Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 258 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 27.02.2009, 08:21 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeNeil View Post
making our second class backs (Kevin Jones, Wolfe, Peterson) look even worse.
which isnt hard to do...

yeah are line is BAD..but good RB's can always find the holes...We need to help Forte and getting another back along with help on the line will work IMO.

I like Peterson and Wolfe,but we need a one/two punch and we are not going to get it from them two IMO.
Old 27.02.2009, 08:31 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiBear View Post
which isnt hard to do...

yeah are line is BAD..but good RB's can always find the holes...We need to help Forte and getting another back along with help on the line will work IMO.

I like Peterson and Wolfe,but we need a one/two punch and we are not going to get it from them two IMO.
You don't go out and fill your skill positions before you've solidified your offensive line, just ask David Carr.

Matt Forte struggled all year long despite his heaps of talents to find holes in our offensive line.

If we were to spend our money on fixing this line instead of throwing it at another running back because it's the flavour of the month perhaps we'd have a little more success running the ball.
Old 27.02.2009, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Our O-line is not good I think everyone sees that. However, it is highly debatable as to how much of our poor running has been caused by bad blocking or by bad runners. I am uncertain....

Forte had 3.9 ypc I'd like to think he is capable of more behind a better offensive line. However, if you look at Cedric Benson he put up 3.4 ypc in 2007 and for the Bengals he had 3.5. I rate Bobbie Williams and Whitworth as good guards, not spectacular but solid. Benson didn't really do much more in Cincy than he did in Chicago. Personally, I would rate our interior as just average, as opposed to bad. Garza and Kreutz are still very capable blockers.

So the issue in my mind is a lack of running ability coupled with a below average o-line. In my opinion the o-line is awful at the tackle position, with John St Clair being the worst I have ever seen start for a Bears team. Nevertheless, we run, more often than not, between the tackles and Garza, Kreutz and, to a degree, Beekman provide opportunities to do that. This makes me err on the side that we simply need better backs and why I feel Peterson is not good enough. If Benson can do poorly in two teams with average interior blocking, and he is a pure between the tackles runner, I think Peterson should have excelled him in that role. but he failed to.

Garrett Wolfe is a different kettle of fish in my view. He would need better blocking from the tackle position because his speed and agility are more suited to running outside and he would also require agile guards who can pull outside on sweeps and counters. We simply have not provided that and as a result I do not have a proper opinion on him. I know I like his attitude as JeromeNeil said he does a solid job on special teams and that speaks to his character but until the right pieces are in place we will never know.

On Dunn, I like him as a player and a person, I think he could help Forte with his experience and brilliant attitude. I look at the Bucs o-line and see one that is marginally better than ours with Penn and Faine being the two that jump out. However, if he can have 3.8 ypc (having had 4.1 in TB) it is better than what we have currently.

Wolfe is an option if we provide the means for him to prove himself. I simply do not rate Peterson outside of his ability to catch the ball and Dunn is equally able in that regard, but with more vision as a runner. If Dunn was available for a good price I reckon he'd be a good signing, but only for a fair price.
Old 27.02.2009, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeNeil View Post
You don't go out and fill your skill positions before you've solidified your offensive line, just ask David Carr.

Matt Forte struggled all year long despite his heaps of talents to find holes in our offensive line.

If we were to spend our money on fixing this line instead of throwing it at another running back because it's the flavour of the month perhaps we'd have a little more success running the ball.
I think we can do both. the real issue is that there is not likely to be good enough tackle on the board at #18. Obviously if Andre Smith goes on the slide he could be there but I still don't see Angelo pulling the trigger on a guy with such character issues. Ebon Britton projects well as an Rt but is a reach at #18. William Beatty is a LT not RT. Duke Robinson is an option but is guard as needed as tackle?

The thing is can a guy like Dun or a FA tackle be acquired for the right price. I think we badly need a guy to spell Forte and take the load off him. however, we need an o-line more. I just think we need both and the Bears should forget WR and focus on getting both OL and RB sorted so we can do what we do best and play hard nosed football
Old 27.02.2009, 08:47 PM
All Pro

Read on another forum that Omiyale is purely a LT. Apparently when he played they had to re-shuffle the whole line because of this. I've no idea if it's true as I know nothing about him
Old 27.02.2009, 08:51 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea View Post
Read on another forum that Omiyale is purely a LT. Apparently when he played they had to re-shuffle the whole line because of this. I've no idea if it's true as I know nothing about him
Hi mate
Old 27.02.2009, 08:55 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
I think we can do both. the real issue is that there is not likely to be good enough tackle on the board at #18. Obviously if Andre Smith goes on the slide he could be there but I still don't see Angelo pulling the trigger on a guy with such character issues. Ebon Britton projects well as an Rt but is a reach at #18. William Beatty is a LT not RT. Duke Robinson is an option but is guard as needed as tackle?

The thing is can a guy like Dun or a FA tackle be acquired for the right price. I think we badly need a guy to spell Forte and take the load off him. however, we need an o-line more. I just think we need both and the Bears should forget WR and focus on getting both OL and RB sorted so we can do what we do best and play hard nosed football
It's a crapshoot, we can go line and run the ball a bit better or take WR and hope people stop stacking the line against us. (even though very few rookie WRs have immediate impact)

Draft day's going to be awful interesting, we've got alot of big needs.
Old 27.02.2009, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Yes draft day is going to be more than interesting I actually cannot wait because it is going to be so tough to call the first three rounds. I have feeling we'll go end despite my not wanting us to do that. Angelo has made it clear it is about the "lines".

I still think there are guys out there who could really help us, and cheap guys.

I like Brandon Jones, J.J Arrington and Jermaine Phillips in free agency. I love Jabari Greer but he'll get some serious cash. If we did that You could go Duke Robinson in the first and Loadholt in the second and I reckon we'd be a better team than in 2008. I reckon Clint Sintum will be a top player in the NFL but there is no chance we take him.
Old 27.02.2009, 09:20 PM
All Pro

Congratulations Olig on your winning blog entry........ya lucky git !!!
Old 27.02.2009, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadesaregood View Post
Congratulations Olig on your winning blog entry........ya lucky git !!!
Cheers man. Must be honest I had't really considered it a part of the whole contest because I never explicitly stated that it was aimed for it. However, just got an email saying I won either a Jason Taylor Dolphins or L.T Chargers jersey, both signed. So I am certainly not going to complain thanks to Hank on that one...