Politics - Page 1160 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Entertainment/News

Old 06.10.2016, 12:45 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Duper View Post
British subs made with French Steel?

Nobody made a bid, lets keep costs down right, cheaper option?

Is cheaper better? If we had any British Steel left, big if, and it was more expensive, would the extra expense not come back into the economy with tax, N.I. contributions and new spending powers from the newly created jobs?

Why is cheaper really better when the money comes from government coffers anyway?
As I understand it, the majority of British steel is of fairly low quality - it's the cheap stuff that has been easy for China and other developing countries to copy and produce at a fraction of the cost. German steel is higher quality stuff that is not easily copied (yet).

On protectionism, I saw this great statistic this week, regarding the massive tariffs that Obama's government slapped on Chinese car tyres imported to America from 2009 onwards (35%). The cost to US consumers in more expensive car tyres has so far been $1.1 billion. Or to put it another way, if you assume every US tyre manufacturing job would have been lost, it has cost $990,000 for each job saved.
Old 06.10.2016, 01:03 PM
MVP

"UKIP leadership hopeful Steven Woolfe was taken to hospital following an altercation at a meeting of party MEPs, interim leader Nigel Farage has said"

UKIP - simultaneously hilarious and frighting, an impressive combination...
Old 06.10.2016, 01:10 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
The cost to US consumers in more expensive car tyres has so far been $1.1 billion. Or to put it another way, if you assume every US tyre manufacturing job would have been lost, it has cost $990,000 for each job saved.
Fair point but has the extra costs to consumers not gone back into US economy anyway, insteading of Chinese company pockets? What about the effect on spending power from all those US tyre companies and employees not buying and selling goods or homes and being simply out of a job now?

Would you rather spend £20/30 more on a tyre if you knew it was from a UK company and even better a local business?

Or cheap tyre, money to UK based franchise only, out the back door with tax returns and little to nothing put back into UK economy, aside a few jobs or just maybe delivery guys with the imported tyres.

We all want cheap and cheaper, it comes at a cost and works it's way up from the breadline eventually to snare us all, that is global capitalism for you.

Walmart effect, low profit margin, high volume sales, it works, and real well, always at a cost to everyone eventually. Once the global capitalists have taken over everything, then we really will be a slave race again.

Last edited by Mark_Duper; 06.10.2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06.10.2016, 01:13 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilGroom View Post
"UKIP leadership hopeful Steven Woolfe was taken to hospital following an altercation at a meeting of party MEPs, interim leader Nigel Farage has said"

Strange one that, he was only on granada reports last night saying he was the right northern man for the local communities.
Old 06.10.2016, 01:40 PM
MVP

Quote:
Strange one that, he was only on granada reports last night saying he was the right northern man for the local communities.
You mean he should have been able to handle himself in a fight?
Old 06.10.2016, 02:11 PM
MVP

Here's one from the blogosphere

It’s the way they write them

My eye fell on a headline in today’s Daily Mail reading: So who does want to succeed Nigel?

Below it was a square comprising 4 blocks of text, each listing the qualities of a prospective replacement leader for UKIP, each with a purple headline. The first read: THERESA MAY FAN

Oh, a Chinese lady with the same first name as the PM, I thought. But MAVERICK OUTSIDER, NIGEL’S BITTER RIVAL and SURPRISE CONTENDER showed that I had been guilty of putting my own interpretation on things yet again.
Old 06.10.2016, 05:01 PM
All Pro

It'd be an idea for people to look up the definition of populism.

Far too overused and I don't think they understand its actual meaning.

Are UKIP populist according to definition?. UKIP are very much for the establishment, which populism is not.

Rising parties, usually of the right wing (That spanish one that comes to mind on the left) that aren't of the old order are automatically labelled populist.

Are people allowed to come up with new ideas/parties or are we simply going to discredit everything by calling "pop" like hip and cool music of the day?.
Old 06.10.2016, 06:17 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Fracking has just been approved at one site in the North West.

Thanks Downing Street, just not in your backyard eh?

Stick it up North like the rest of your dirty laundry.
It's the wrong decision (in my opinion), but most of the shale rocks are found up north, only some small areas around B-right-on and the Tamar Valley in the south (as far as I know).
Old 06.10.2016, 07:00 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilGroom View Post

not suprised to see Neil Hamiltons name coming out in this internal war.how is this person allowed to be even near public office is a joke.
Old 06.10.2016, 07:50 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
not suprised to see Neil Hamiltons name coming out in this internal war.how is this person allowed to be even near public office is a joke.
Hey, the panto season is approaching. That's where Neil and his missus belong.