Anybody think Nate Davis should get a start? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > San Francisco 49ers

Old 08.04.2010, 04:14 PM
All Pro

Default Anybody think Nate Davis should get a start?

personally,i think he should get given a shot as starter,he played well in pre-season and showed real promise
Old 08.04.2010, 06:15 PM
Rookie

I don't reckon he should be starting yet, but he should be given more time in games, would be interesting to see how he performs for a decent amount of match time.
Old 08.04.2010, 09:32 PM
Pro Bowler

no chance! starting inexperienced QB's is a risk, especially when your O-line has issues, they need time to learn the offence and speed of the game, surely alex smith is testomony to that
Old 09.04.2010, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelf565 View Post
no chance! starting inexperienced QB's is a risk, especially when your O-line has issues, they need time to learn the offence and speed of the game, surely alex smith is testomony to that
This,..... You put a young QB behind a not very good (that's being kind) O-line, they just take a pasting,..... Can have irrevocable damage done to their confidence,.....
Old 09.04.2010, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

I really like Nate Davis and I think he has the talent to be a starter in the NFL as long as there is consistency in the offensive scheme and terminology. His dyslexia will always prove to be a challenge for him in the turbulent world of the NFL and his development will likely be stunted if the 49ers decide to make wholesale changes on offence over the coming years. If Singletary continues to impress though that won't be an issue.

Either way he should definitely not be the starter for this season. There is no need to throw a totally unproven guy in at the deep end like that. He has the arm and potential but also a lot of work to do. More importantly I think Alex Smith is going to be good starter for the 49ers this season. He has only needed a combination of confidence from his coaches to stand by him and better luck with injuries and i think he would already be a very solid guy under centre. he will always have accuracy issues on the deep balls but aside from that I see nothing that prevents him from being a good QB for the 49eers. I watched a lot of games of San Fran last year and he offers far more upside to the offence than he is credited with. If Crabtree progresses and Josh Morgan plays better the 49ers could win the division imo.

On the offensive line: I think Joe Staley did a reasonable job last year, he was decent in pass protection. Chilo Rachal and Adam Snyder both showed big steps forward down the stretch. Rachal in particular is imo primed to make a major leap forwards this year, I have high hopes for him. The jury is certainly out on Snyder after some shocking start. He did improve though towards the end of the year which may mean they look for a RT in a lower round to compete with him and provide a stay of execution. Heitmann was outstanding a center. I think Baas was the weak link but overall not half as bad a line as it's reputation. Especially in the final 6 weeks of the season when I thought they were quite good.
Old 09.04.2010, 11:04 AM
All Pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkRIYba7hdg

Nate should definitely get some more snaps under his belt before you just throw him to the wolves during a regular season game. Has he even faced any of the other teams' first string defense? You don't wanna make the same mistake that was made with Alex Smith or the Texans made with David Carr. Sending him out there behind a weak o-line will do nothing but rattle his confidence. Then, like Smith and Carr, you'll see Davis a few years down the line trying to resurrect HIS career. There is no rush to get Davis out there running the show just yet. There'll be plenty of chances for us to chant Nate the Great in years to come.
Old 21.04.2010, 12:31 PM
Rookie

ANY QB BUT SMITH PLEASEEEEEEEEE!!! I hope he proves me wrong
Old 21.04.2010, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockler View Post
ANY QB BUT SMITH PLEASEEEEEEEEE!!! I hope he proves me wrong
Don't agree at the moment I'm afraid,...... Davis may become the guy in due course, but not just yet IMHO,... If we properly address the OLine and Smith is till a disaster then maybe, although he'll still have Carr in the way,....
Old 21.04.2010, 05:07 PM
Rookie

Nate is not ready .. Carr can do a job i think with a decent Offensive Line. I say pick Colt McKoy .. he is a boy for the future of the franchise.
Old 22.04.2010, 07:32 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockler View Post
Nate is not ready .. Carr can do a job i think with a decent Offensive Line. I say pick Colt McKoy .. he is a boy for the future of the franchise.
That's what everyone said about Alex Smith in 2005 and he's already been labelled a bust when he has only actually played one full season, in which his numbers and play were actually impressive. Need to give him a chance this season and if it still doesn't work out then look elsewhere but I don't think drafting another QB is the answer at all, we have needs elsewhere that must be addressed first.

Tags
49ers