Anybody think Nate Davis should get a start? - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > San Francisco 49ers

Old 22.04.2010, 08:43 AM
Rookie

I suppose i have been a little hard on Smith looking back through his career and his constant change of coaches etc. Mike Nolan didnt develop him well either and now we have some stability .. i hope he proves me wrong like i have stated earlier .. nothing i would like more than him too prove he can be the #1 draft pick we all wanted! Maybe Singletary can develop him well as he is still young .. 26 i think? there should still be alot of life in him. I also like the fact he restructured his contract too stay with us .. show's that he aint just in it for the money. I also hope his injuries trouble's are behind him as he as had trouble with his shoulder.
Old 29.07.2010, 03:06 PM
All Pro

anybody think Nate Davis should be Alex Smith's back-up or should it be David Carr?
Old 30.07.2010, 09:08 PM
Pro Bowler

nate davis to get a start....no way...hes too young and hasnt proven anything (preseason doenst count for much), alex smith has 110% of my support and david carr is as good of a backup as we could hope for.
Old 02.08.2010, 02:52 PM
Banned

When is a QB ever ready?
How else can he prove himself but pre-season?
At least if you throw him in early doors we can see the real article with little pressure on him. If you throw him in after a Smith **** up then the pressure will be too much.You can't throw a new QB into that scenario.
I say Start Him. Like I said ‘When is a QB ever ready’...Was Montana from the 3rd round pick?
Let’s see what the Lad has....He may surprise you!
Old 02.08.2010, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

I see your point,... But I think if Smith screws up (lets face it, this is really make or break for him) then Carr comes in with Davis seeing gradually more time to assess him over, with the view from that as to whether he gets the nod properly or not,....
I just don't want to see a scenario where we do the same to Davis as the Texans did to Carr, and a QB with insufficient experience goes in behind and O-Line inadequate to protect them, they take a pasting and real confidence damage gets done,...
Old 16.08.2010, 02:23 PM
Starter

Its very easy to see Nate Davis in preseason and say this but he is clearly a long way off. Sure he has the ability but I trust in the coaching staff when they say he is nowhere near ready.
I agree with earlier posts that he must be nurtured. He certainly has all the physical tools of an NFL quaterback and he's perfectly fine as the 3rd string guy. Give him another 2 or 3 years and then see where he's at if we are in need of a starter.
Old 16.08.2010, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blundell91 View Post
Its very easy to see Nate Davis in preseason and say this but he is clearly a long way off. Sure he has the ability but I trust in the coaching staff when they say he is nowhere near ready.
I agree with earlier posts that he must be nurtured. He certainly has all the physical tools of an NFL quaterback and he's perfectly fine as the 3rd string guy. Give him another 2 or 3 years and then see where he's at if we are in need of a starter.

Agree,... And not only this, but IMO it's not just Davis's performance that has to be taken into account,.... But also that Carr, on first impressions, is considerabley more worthy of being given the go, should Smith need replacing at some point in the season,...(And obviously so he should be with experience),....
Old 17.08.2010, 07:37 AM
All Pro

I heard something interesting during the coverage of Sunday's game. Apparently Jimmy Raye has been quoted as saying that Nate Davis hasn't come on as well as he'd hoped. Wonder what that could mean? Anyone got anymore info?
Old 22.08.2010, 07:33 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean49 View Post
I heard something interesting during the coverage of Sunday's game. Apparently Jimmy Raye has been quoted as saying that Nate Davis hasn't come on as well as he'd hoped. Wonder what that could mean? Anyone got anymore info?
Could mean a couple things.

Davis has a learning disability and this makes it difficult for him to learn playbooks the way other quarterbacks do.

Could also mean his conditioning. Strangely he seems rounder now than he was at Ball State and the 49ers might be concerned/annoyed he hasn't shed the extra weight.

Anyway, Smith is our starter, this isn't changing. I'm getting a little tired of the Davis wagon. He had two good quarters in preseason last year and this stupid bandwagon started.
Old 23.08.2010, 01:14 PM
Pro Bowler

singletary has said hes not won over by davis too, hes questioning his commitiment during the offseason saying that although hes working hard now he could've done more in the offseason. one thing for singletary he wont put up with players who dont have 110% commitment.

Tags
49ers