By The Numbers - Draft Special - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Announcements > New on NFLUK.com

Old 27.04.2010, 12:17 AM
NFL Pundit

Default By The Numbers - Draft Special

By The Numbers - Draft Special by Neil Reynolds

In a special post-draft edition of By the Numbers, nfluk.com's Neil Reynolds looks at the annual selection process and discovers how some teams were true to form and others threw the odd curveball or two over the weekend.

Read the full feature

Neil Reynolds
Old 27.04.2010, 04:15 PM

Nice draft overview. I was a bit dissapointed not to see the Raiders select Trindon Holliday 8th overall also and agree they had a good draft. Nick Saban called Rolando McClain his "coach on the field" during Alabama's national championship season last year and with his combo of size and athletic ability I think he's going to be a great one. Great picks with Valdheer and Campbell later on also. Both could fit Cable's zone blocking scheme well. I think Al Davis understands that Cable knows what type of players fit his scheme as Cable was under Alex Gibbs and is a good offensive line coach. Gibbs himself got a good one in Russell Okung and Seattle had a great draft. I though getting Kam Chancellor and Anthony McCoy in the 5th and 6th rounds was very good value and i'm sure his college coach Pete Carroll will know how to sort McCoy out following his pre draft problems. I liked what Denver did. I thought getting Tebow in the 1st round may have been a reach based on mechanics but based on what he brings to the locker room he's probably worth a top 5 pick. A player I really liked going in was golden gopher wide receiver Eric Decker. I think he and Thomas were good picks but I think Thomas's route running may hold him back a little early on due to him playing in that option offense at Georgia tech. I think Decker could be starting week one if all goes well for him in camp and pre season. I liked the linemen they brought in also. Beadles is versitile and Walton could push to start week one also. I thought the Chargers did well getting Cam Thomas in the 5th round as I think he could potentially step right in for Jamaal Williams. I had him rated ahead of Troup who went to the Bills in the 2nd round so maybe they get a steal there in a key position. I liked what San Francisco did getting Davis and Iupati in the first and look forward to seeing them and Taylor Mays in Wembley this season. I think they did well to show faith in Alex Smith who needs to get under center and show he can get in done there. We know he can run the spread but with these picks and the Bynham pick it shows Mike S is determined to get Jimmy Raye's offense running. It is key for the football they want to play. I like how the Giants have addressed the safety situation as I remeber Nick Halling saying towards the end of last season how the safety's they have were just not getting it done. With the return of Kenny Phillips and the addition of Grant, Rolle and a player I really like from LSU Chad Jones it seems it could be a position of strength now. Theres loads more picks I liked. I think Selvish Capers was a great pick for the Skins in the 7th. I like Trindon Holliday for the Texans aswell as Ben Tate who I think will have a great rookie season. I thought getting Tony Pike was a good move in the 6th for the Panthers even though they had drafted Clausen. It would not surprise me to see Pike overtake him this off season on the depth chart in a simular way Matt Flynn did with Brian Brohm in Green Bay a few seasons ago. Pike flashed some good skills for Cinncinati and will push Clausen. I would have prefered to see Jerry Hughes in a 3-4 scheme as an outside linebacker but of all the 4-3 teams he fits the Colts the best. They got a great player there. I love what Detroit have done in the last 2 drafts. Cinncinati also. They both got great players based on college production. Dunlap, Shipley, Ghee, Muckelroy and Briscoe were all key parts of their teams success and had he come out last season Jermaine Gresham may have been the first tight end taken following Bradford's Heisman season. So they get good players again. The loss of Dunlap to suspension really hurt Florida when they played Alabama and I think Marvin Lewis could be the right guy for him in his career. I love the direction the Bengals are going. I think that division will be great again but I don't see the Bengals sweeping it. I think the Browns made some strides. I love the Haden and Ward pick. If anyone wants to know anything about T.J Ward have a look at the hit he put on Oklahoma state QB Zac Robinson. He could have got drafted high on that hit alone. There were many other geat picks I liked also. I think you have a great point with the players being shown talking to their teams or agents on the phone before being picked as it does kind of give it away a little. Especially Eric Berry who was my favorite player coming in. I think with the way offenses are changing and more spread attacks creeping in and how teams like Pittsburg and co had a massive drop off without the likes of Polamalu and co. I think it shows how valuable the position is these days, which is why I thought he would go to the Chiefs at 5. I liked the way the draft was run over three days and hope they keep it like this. Look forward to the memmory lane columns soon. Greeat job.

Rhodri Jones
Old 27.04.2010, 10:14 PM
Starter

The Raiders had a great weekend. This was the weekend that the Raiders re-emerged from their slumber and in Jason Campbell and Rolando McClain have leaders for the future.
Old 28.04.2010, 10:40 AM
All Pro

Good point about some of the excitement taken out of the draft with players speaking on phones. I guess it's probably hear to stay though.