Can Steelers make it to the playoffs this year?? - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Pittsburgh Steelers

Old 16.07.2010, 12:57 PM
All Pro

Since Mikes been at the helm we seem to be going for the younger players in the draft, Juniors with only one or two years starting experience, Mendy/Timmons/Pouncey etc.

This gives us plenty of time to Mold them, and means by their 3rd and 4th season they should be up to speed and still be young enough to heal quicker and have the fires still burning etc.
Old 16.07.2010, 01:14 PM
Starter

If Mike Tomlin did not extend his contract the next coach would have been thought to be a legend as Mike Tomlins work is in the future at the moment as his drafting so great young players. Look at Mendy he is going to be awesome i just know it. Mike Wallace is another example of some great coaching. Steelers wil be at there best in a couple of years time.
Old 17.08.2010, 01:37 PM
Starter

I think a wild card spot is a realistic goal if our offence especially in red-zone situations improve, We will all way be competitive thanks to Le Beau.

We need to win against our division and close out games.

We'll be fine, just have a bit of faith.

Remember the NFL is unpredictable. Injuries to certain players could change the whole play off picture eg. If P.Manning goes down like Brady did do you see Painter stepping up or Addai rushing for 1000+ yards?
Old 02.09.2010, 11:15 PM
Pro

Default If...

Ben get two games knocked off his suspension and he comes back with us no worse than 2-2, I think we'll make the play-offs. A fit Troy turns our Defence from good to game-winning and having B-Mac back can't do any harm either. We look weaker at WR, which is a concern given the fact that we'll air it out once Ben is back, so Wallace needs a big season and Randel-El will need to contribute. We'll be OK at running back, though I wish we'd play with a proper full back!

Major concern is O-line. Pouncey looks the real deal and I hope he gets some playing time, but as a unit, they'll need to up their game - our red-zone offence was poor last season, and it will need to be better.

If we go into week 5 2-2 I can see a 10-6 finish and a wildcard place behind the Ravens. The Bungles look strong on paper, but they usually find a way to mess it up.
Old 03.09.2010, 06:20 PM
Pro

We wont make the playoffs. And i will have a bet with anyone of you. I more than any want us to be there. We simply arent good enough. Fact. We had an easy schedule last year and blew it. Sure we missed Troy and Smith. This year we have no Ben for 4 games. An O Line where our Junior Rookie is hands down our best line man. What does that say about our o line! (Although Pouncey is the real deal - rookie of the year in the making). We have lost our deepest threat at WR, not that we have anyone to pass to him anyway.

This year will be a struggle. Our D isnt as strong as it was. Farrior is rapidly declining and Foote is a backup. Our CB's cant force turnovers and Keisel, Hampton and Smith are nearly as old as our coach.

I am being realistic. We wont make the playoffs. Our plan this year is to run the ball more however what people seem to forget is 95 per cent of the time they are going to have run through our O Line and with the exception of Pouncey that is not good news.

In the nicest way i want us to finish 8-8 so we can get Mike Pouncey from the Gators and then trade up to get a stud tackle. Next year Crezdon Butler will be a starter at CB with Sly starting at MLB with Timmons and things will be a lot better! Two linemen need to be drafted in the 1st next year with Pouncey being one of them.
Old 05.09.2010, 08:13 AM
Starter

Now in the current situation with the QB's i think at best we could make the wild card slot but that is if some shocks we cause.
Old 05.09.2010, 08:04 PM
All Pro

Barring any major injurys we can still go at least 10-6

Forget the losses to KC & Oakland last year the reason we didnt make it was going 2-4 in the division. I dont care how cold it is we shouldnt be losing to the Browns. IMO the Ravens are over-rated and still have it all to proove (also missing Reed for the start of the season) and we have no clue what sort of form the bungals are going to be in this year. A lot of people are giving the division to the Ravens, but I dont see it that clear cut - if we can turn the division record around to 4-2 or even 5-1 (win all 5 home games ) then we will make the playoffs.
Old 05.09.2010, 09:54 PM
Pro

I feel personally we can go 11-5, Ben getting his suspension reduced to four game helps a lot and if Batch or Dixon can keep us at around 2-2 in the first 4 weeks then imo we will be fine when Ben returns. Now I know we still aren't sure who will start as our QB but I will be worried if it is it is Batch under centre from the go as the last two season's his body has been like glass and he has been injured a lot. This is why I think the Batch rumours are a smoke screen for Dixon.

Mendenhall and our defence are going to have and need to have a big season as we are going to need to ease Dixon in. I am confident how ever that we could go all the way.
Old 07.09.2010, 06:52 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisDixonFTW View Post
I feel personally we can go 11-5,
If we are lucky we could we have a hard fixture list this year but I reakon we can make the playoffs still...

Come On Steelers!
Old 11.09.2010, 08:25 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler39 View Post

In the nicest way i want us to finish 8-8 so we can get Mike Pouncey from the Gators and then trade up to get a stud tackle. Next year Crezdon Butler will be a starter at CB with Sly starting at MLB with Timmons and things will be a lot better! Two linemen need to be drafted in the 1st next year with Pouncey being one of them.
Pouncey will be playing Centre for the Gators this season - though he's versatile enough to go back to Guard I guess. I'm not sure he's 1st round quality - most of the draft board predictions see him going in round 2 (though it's very early yet), so we may not need to trade up to take two players in Rd 1 (That's not the way the Steelers draft anyway - they trade to move up or down the board, but not to jump rounds, two picks in the First will cost us a high quality starter or three picks lower down, or our first next year - when was the last time we did that? the 80's?).

Butler is a good prospect but a starter next year? We'll see - He dropped down the draft board due to a disappointing final year at Clemson, and I suspect he might be seen as a longer-term prospect. He doesn't have major competition though.

I agree that our O-line is poor and a critical thing to sort through the draft next year - I can see us looking at Joseph Barksdale at LSU in R1 - he's technically strong enough to go in at either Tackle straight away. If Pouncey is still there when Rd 2 starts, then I think we might trade up to get him. I don't think it's so poor that it won't keep us competitive in the division though.

Tags
nfl , nfl predictions , pittsburgh , play offs , steelers