2011 Draft Game - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Pittsburgh Steelers

Old 14.02.2011, 09:02 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible Towel View Post
When push comes to shove, I see it being between a Corner and a D Lineman.

Mike likes a Junior, so that gets rid of a few.

We might go corner, but we have unknown ability in Butler and Lewis, Butler played well in pre-season and could make the jump to start opposite Ike, making Corner less important.

I'm going for DE, the ideal NT Taylor will be gone I think, so we look to get younger, and more athletic at End, Smith could be finished if this injury jinx continues.

So . . . pre combine

Pick 31

DT Muhammad Wilkerson - Temple University
The last 2 seasons we've come up short, & the glaring weakness in our D has been at CB. In '09 we thought G@y could step up & be the man = WRONG! In '10 we thought getting BMac back would do the trick = WRONG!

I agree Butler has some potential, but can't see them making this mistake again when the rest of our D/team is set for a SB run.

Lewis just sucks - remember he had a chance in preseason & in Tomlin's words "He stunk it up". He drew plenty of flags on ST as well, so can't see him making the final roster.

Get me that CB please & put him in on day one so he can progress & be the real deal come playoff time!
Old 14.02.2011, 10:37 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Dreamer View Post
The last 2 seasons we've come up short, & the glaring weakness in our D has been at CB. In '09 we thought G@y could step up & be the man = WRONG! In '10 we thought getting BMac back would do the trick = WRONG!

I agree Butler has some potential, but can't see them making this mistake again when the rest of our D/team is set for a SB run.

Lewis just sucks - remember he had a chance in preseason & in Tomlin's words "He stunk it up". He drew plenty of flags on ST as well, so can't see him making the final roster.

Get me that CB please & put him in on day one so he can progress & be the real deal come playoff time!
CB is a position that we don't value highly - preferring to bring later round talent on.
But after the way GB carved us apart in the superbowl it might be a position that Mike decides that we have to invest in, so drafting Smith or Harris could be a possibility and make us all happy!

But I still reckon its going to be a d-lineman
Old 15.02.2011, 09:28 AM
All Pro

In the forums pre-combine mock draft Corey Liuget slid all the way down to 31 for the steelers pick. (also on the board were Phil Taylor & Muhammed Wilkerson)

https://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=79229
Old 17.02.2011, 08:43 PM
Starter

could this be the off-season that pittsburgh makes some tough decisions on veteren players?farrior,hampton,arron smith have all been excellant players and i doubt pitt could/would cut them all at once however this team is getting old and younger players need to be developed.the question i ask is do we take the risk of cutting a player a year too early rather than year to late?we lost some talented drafted players-gibson,worthington-because we kept the old guard.will gay is clearly not good enough,mcfadden has been disapointing at best,pitt rarely plays rookies but if butler isnt better than those2 the CB position looks bleak!ike taylor could end up with a huge payday as he is far and away the top corner!
Old 17.02.2011, 10:07 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul birkitt View Post
could this be the off-season that pittsburgh makes some tough decisions on veteren players?farrior,hampton,arron smith have all been excellant players and i doubt pitt could/would cut them all at once however this team is getting old and younger players need to be developed.the question i ask is do we take the risk of cutting a player a year too early rather than year to late?we lost some talented drafted players-gibson,worthington-because we kept the old guard.will gay is clearly not good enough,mcfadden has been disapointing at best,pitt rarely plays rookies but if butler isnt better than those2 the CB position looks bleak!ike taylor could end up with a huge payday as he is far and away the top corner!
Dick's staying so we're gonna be seeing a whole lot more of Farrior and Bmac yet! which isn't good news for this defense.

Casey has a year left realistically, he's still a force when he is fresh. But a replacement isn't still on board, if we don't find a replacement in this draft for him, we could be in trouble.
Smith's a difficult one, really don't know how his arm is going to be until the pre-camp voluntary work outs.

We've never been very quick at bringing though rookies, even if we do pick a corner in round 1 don't expect him to walk right in opposite Ike. Even Troy spent his first year rotting the bench! Pouncey is the exception rather than the rule.

Last edited by Terrible Towel; 17.02.2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 18.02.2011, 08:56 AM
All Pro

I still dont think we will take a corner in round 1 (unless we have a player in mind that we are set on getting and trade up to get him)

I've been looking at some of the later round prospects and 2 that I quite like the look of are a junior out of Utah - Brandon Burton & a senior out of Texas - Curtis Brown.

Brandon Burton - As well as being a solid cornerman he is also a special teams ace (blocked 2 punts last year) which should appeal to Mike. He is good at breaking up the pass and a solid tackler. He could realistically play nickel in his rookie season or even start opposite Ike, but more than likely he will sit on the bench and play special teams.

Curtis Brown - Brown reminds me a bit of Ike. He has the tools to become a very good corner in the nfl. He's big and fast and should be able to cover all types of receivers. He's also a good tackler but doesn't have great hands/instincts for interceptions.

After these 2 i'm looking at Davon House with Ras-I Dowling 4th on the list for a 2nd round pick (but i'm not sure i fancy Ras tbh)

All 4 of these could still be on the board at 63 and worth keeping an eye on at the combine. Anybody else and we could be reaching a bit (but we will know more after the combine)
Old 23.02.2011, 02:20 PM
Pro

I dont the CB we want wll be there at 31.

So the other needs are OL and DL as the DL is gettng old. I like the suggestions already given and can easily see them going for Phil Taylor.

But to be different i think if either JJ Watt is still on the board or Anthony Canztano then we take them.

It is a deep draft for DE/DT so i will go with JJ Watt. Either way i think there is so much talent at DE/OT that a first round pick in that position would puh immediatley to start this year. or will definatley be used in rotation.

I believe they willpick up a CB in Free Agency. i am hoping Marshall from the Panthers.
Old 23.02.2011, 03:01 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler39 View Post
I dont the CB we want wll be there at 31.

So the other needs are OL and DL as the DL is gettng old. I like the suggestions already given and can easily see them going for Phil Taylor.

But to be different i think if either JJ Watt is still on the board or Anthony Canztano then we take them.

It is a deep draft for DE/DT so i will go with JJ Watt. Either way i think there is so much talent at DE/OT that a first round pick in that position would puh immediatley to start this year. or will definatley be used in rotation.

I believe they willpick up a CB in Free Agency. i am hoping Marshall from the Panthers.
So whos your pick then? Watt or Castonzo?

I don't think Watt will still be there at 31, Castanzo could be.

Also - Marshall would be an improvement of B-Mac, I agree with you that it is a possibility (if we have free agency that is!)

The combine starts tomorrow - If anybody else wants to play pre-combine we need your pick asap!
Old 25.02.2011, 05:31 AM
Pro

JJ Watt it is. And i would be over the moon if he fell to us at 31!
Old 25.02.2011, 10:16 AM
All Pro

Colbert speaks a little at the combine. . . .

http://burgh.us/34i

Good point about the the west coast offense coming to Cleveland and Cincy . . .

Gonna need a corner or two?

and talk of tackles looking good, if one falls we could decide to nab one.