The Cricket Thread - Page 351 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 03.09.2018, 11:28 AM
All Pro

Cook retiring after 5th Test, so its 2 openers needed now anyway.
Old 03.09.2018, 11:30 AM
MVP

Cook has announced his international retirement, but only after the fifth test. Makes it a certainty that he will get that game as a send-off, rather than giving a young-un an opportunity in a dead-rubber game.
Old 03.09.2018, 12:54 PM
All Pro

The right decision for him and for England, really rooting for him to get a big score in his last test, would be a great way to celebrate an incredible career!
Old 03.09.2018, 01:01 PM
All Pro

Shame to see Cook go - I wouldn't have been getting rid like some on here, but it probably does make sense for him to go after this 5th test, and then England can start afresh at the opening spot in the winter. They should ditch Jennings and just start to try find two new players there imo.

As for the balance of the overall side, for me Bairstow should give up the gloves and bat at 5. He is the best batting option there, and having the gloves is holding him back (see tweet and article links below that back this up). Plus Buttler is as good as, if not a better gloveman than him too. I think Bairstow can become a batsman who averages 45+ if he focuses on that, and it's for the best of the England side for him to do that.

https://www.cricket365.com/england-v...-help-england/

https://twitter.com/ohlookitswill_/s...19314677559296

Going forward in England/Aussie/NZ/SA conditions I think the side should be...

Burns, (???), (???), Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Buttler (wk), Moeen, Curran, Broad, Anderson.

That leaves the top three as the only three positions where we need to find players. Moeen/Rashid can alternate as best spinner, and Curran/Woakes as the third seamer. Obviously in the sub continent you need more spinners, so naturally the balance of the side will change anyways (as it will in Sri Lanka this winter).

Burns is the clear next cab off the rank in the opening slot. His weight of runs in the County Championship means he deserves a go. As for other options, there doesn't appear to be many...Gubbins? Stoneman? Davies? A real test for the selectors!

As for the number three slot, I'd like to see them give Joe Clarke from Worcestershire the slot. A very promising young batsman who reminds me a lot of Michael Vaughan. We need to get Root back to 4 where he bats best, much like Kohli does for India. Enough of this stupid Aussie nonsense "your best bat bats at 3" - easier in Australia to do that when the ball isn't swinging....
Old 03.09.2018, 02:44 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyrules View Post
Shame to see Cook go - I wouldn't have been getting rid like some on here, but it probably does make sense for him to go after this 5th test, and then England can start afresh at the opening spot in the winter. They should ditch Jennings and just start to try find two new players there imo.
I'm one of Cooks biggest fans, he sits comfortably in my top 5 favourite England batsmen of the last 25 years (Thorpe, Bell, Trott and Trescothick are the others if anyone was interested!). He has rebounded a number of times when the threat of being dropped has loomed over him but his form over the last 2 years, save for a couple of magnificent "daddy hundreds" has been pretty poor. Excluding the 2 double centuries he has averaged 20.88 2017- with a highest score of 88. He knows now is the right time to step aside, who knows he may come back if he can do wonders at Essex, he is still only 33 after all.

The tributes from around the world are telling of not only what a wonderful player he is but teammate and human being as well!
Old 03.09.2018, 06:30 PM
MVP

I feel old now seems like yesterday he was the new up and coming kid on the block.
Old 07.09.2018, 07:55 PM
All Pro

Death, taxes and an England batting collapse!

Fantastic knock from Cook, made it look easy, set up a nice platform for Root and co to capitalise and put up a big score, but nope we revert to type. Credit where it's due, India bowled superbly, as they have done throughout this series.
Old 10.09.2018, 10:51 AM
All Pro

Cook doing well in his final Test, can he finish on a real high and get the century ?
Old 10.09.2018, 05:34 PM
All Pro

What an incredible way to bow out for Cook, such a class act!

Took a last minute day off and got tickets for tomorrow!
Old 04.12.2018, 09:56 AM
All Pro

An excellent tour of Sri Lanka for England. Can’t remember the last time I’ve seen them play so well in Asia!