Lions @ 49ers - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Detroit Lions

Old 13.09.2012, 09:00 PM
Pro

Default Lions @ 49ers

Been a bit surprised by the how quiet the forum is after week 1 so let's get some thoughts on a real big game for the Lions on Sunday.

Expectation sems to be a 49ers win which is fine but I think the Lions defense is gonna bring a few surprises and could make life difficult for Smith and his offense.

Will be tough for the Lions but if they can keep the niners to a low score Stafford won't have to rack a big score to get a win
Old 16.09.2012, 08:31 PM
All Pro

Atlantic Roar game preview here http://bit.ly/Hp4y6K
Old 16.09.2012, 11:10 PM
All Pro

Ryan Broyles active for tonight's game Be interesting to see if he gets time as a returner and/or 3rd receiver. I'm hopeful he's a future star
Old 16.09.2012, 11:46 PM
Pro

Broyles a trump card for the Lions, will give the niners some food for thought
Old 17.09.2012, 10:04 AM
Starter

thought the offense was extremely poor last night and I was surprised that was the area that let the team down. For a group of guys thrown together not so long ago the secondary didn't do too badly. By the 4th quarter the D had finally worked out 49ers run game as well.

But how disappointing was Stafford and I thought the play calling. Stafford was just rubbish first half, poor throws, poor decisions. 2nd half he improved but why are the Lions trying to run the ball when the runs are so obvious - they must have played just 2 different run plays all night but they kept on trying the same thing over and over. Hopefully having LeShoure next week will see some semblance of a run game come together. If not, don't bother, didn't need it last season - running it once in every 10 plays worked just fine.
I've always thought that Stafford played best in the 2 minute offense, quick passes, no huddle - yet last night they never looked like they wanted to get the 49ers D on the back foot, that might work against lesser teams but right now the 49ers are the best team in the NFL - especially defensively.

Plenty to work on, the positives were certainly from the defensive side of the ball - I never thought the Lions would win last night and I still think they have a shot at a wildcard even if they finish 3rd in this division.
Old 17.09.2012, 12:20 PM
All Pro

For me the most disappointing thing was that the Lions never looked like they believed they'd win what was a very winnable game.

The 9ers did a good job of taking away CJ, as you would expect the leagues best D to do, and we were never likely to gain much on the ground with our 3rd & best runners against such an effective run defense, but we had to try to keep them honest, all of which made the decision not to target our other receivers all the more surprising. Difficult to know if that was the play calling or Stafford decision making but it was noticeable on the TD drive at the end of the game that the ball was spread about more on that drive. I also thought this was a poor Stafford performance both with his passing and his leadership of the offense.

The D kept us in the game but never looked as dominant as the 9ers D did. There were three 3rd & long completions to Crabtree at the end of the game that should have been prevented. The Secondary looked like it would be gashed all game long after the opening drive so it was surprising that it wasn't. Against the run it seemed it was either feast or famine with the Lions either stuffing the runner at or behind the line or giving up a double digit gain.

On the positive side of things we kept the emerging SB favourites close in a game we could have won. On the negative side although the game was there to be won we never at any stage looked capable of winning it

For me this season could well come down to whether LeShoure emerges as the runner we desperately need and if Broyles establishes himself as a legitimate alternative to CJ.
Old 17.09.2012, 09:10 PM
Team Captain

Not going to disagree with anything else that has been said regarding the game and I will add that i was pretty disappointed with how we played offense. We know the niners D is one of the best in the game, but there were too many occasions were plays were there and not made, usually because of the inaccuracy of Stafford's arm last night. These losses are the most frustrating ones because you know that if the offense plays like we know it can and we know it has in the past, all of a sudden that loss becomes a win.

I hope the staff take a good look at the footage because there are easy improvements that can be made to prevent the kind of gashes that the run D was experiencing, not surprisingly they were the same kind of gashes that we saw in the game last year. There's no real excuse for not learning lessons.

Overall I thought we were pretty good defensively but it was all due to the front 4 really, the secondary was abominable as we expected since it's made up of players who are not fit for the NFL and the linebackers were too easily drawn on many of the niners more successful offensive plays.

Thankfully it's too early to start panicking and I haven't yet considered the possibility that teams have figured us out. Next week is a bit of an acid test, if we see the same kind of draw and trap plays from the Titans O as what we saw from the niners then I think the coaching staff need to have a good hard look at the playbook.
Old 17.09.2012, 09:28 PM
All Pro

Just watched the game and deleted it straight away.

Nate and Titus are ornaments on this offense at the moment.Brandon gets open on a number of plays and Stafford is fixed on Calvin.We won't BEAT Quality teams just throwing to Calvin.

We are not the finished article nor do we pretend to be,but what I seen last night was Stafford throwing some shocking passes and making some bone headed errors.Our O Line did a OK job as I felt their LBs were toying with us and the fact a deep ball was never thrown to keep them on the back foot had me scraching my head.

We will get better and I hope both Nate and Titus introduce themselves to the rest of the Offense as they sure were strangers to it last night
Old 18.09.2012, 07:34 AM
Banned

guys i am not here to gloat but i just like to read the opponents views win or loose. I think for me the biggest dissapointment with you guys was Stafford i was expecting a QB which i believe in my book is going to the top of the table to turn up but he seemed lack lustered and his accuracy was not even close. The run opens up the pass as you all know but sometimes with a run defence that good you just gotta stick with what you do best and that was stafford.

It's a talented team but i am wondering after all this time maybe a fresh coach could be good?
Old 18.09.2012, 07:56 PM
Pro

This game came at the wrong time for the Lions, lame excuse but injuries and an offense not clicking, plus a long journey, playing on grass and on a big TV stage was not a good recipe for the Lions right now.

Put Delmas, Leshoure, Houston and Best () back in there and if this becomes a playoff game in January then this is a different result.

If they want to persist with a running game against the niners defense we have the RB's to do it but they weren't available on Sunday.

Tags
49ers , lions