Predictions vs Oakland - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Pittsburgh Steelers

Old 24.09.2012, 12:28 AM
MVP

I told you we were better than advertised. Steelers fans very good on here btw, thanks guys. This honestly doesn't make you a bad team, the Raiders are much improved under Allen and our O has some real talent.
Old 24.09.2012, 02:29 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanuma2 View Post
I told you we were better than advertised. Steelers fans very good on here btw, thanks guys. This honestly doesn't make you a bad team, the Raiders are much improved under Allen and our O has some real talent.
No disrespect but it does. From our side of the fence, this isn't about losing to you, it's about the humiliating and senseless way we twice through away a 10-point lead against a team, no offence here, who aren't going to make post-season this year which is something we now share in common with you as we won't be either.

Our defence got turned over there in the second half in such pathetic fashion you almost had to just laugh, Cortez Allen couldn't cover a plastic bag blowing in a light wind and the constant blitz formations LeBeau insists on having when Polamalu isn't around are readable now for your average X-Box gamer. Maybe the defence should spend a little less time on Facebook or Twitter or posing for this or that and a little more time on watching game tape and looking at the QBs they're facing the next week, Woodley is by far the worse for this, I know he's taken some criticism for his flight video to Denver and let's be honest, the man's a moron at the best of times and I'm tired of seeing this self-worthy nonsense. Tomlin constantly talks about "getting the basics right." I think both on and off the field there needs to be a lot of work on that, and I mean a lot!

As for the offence, our running game is, simply, like I said after week one, rubbish. Rainey is like a deer on ice skates (why he was returning tonight I'll never know, I saw him fall over twice without anyone near him!) and everyone got a touch again tonight, it's becoming evident to me that we don't really know what we're doing at the moment, there seems to be a lot of confusion, is that three penalties for delay of game right now? I think it is, that says an awful lot not just about Ben and Haley's relationship, but the entire offence. We got picked up for a lot of penalties again tonight that were just foolish and the sign of an offence cracking up under the pressure of not really know what they're doing and not getting each others backs.

Defining though is how you can throw for 384 yards and 4 TDs and not win a game? That stat alone is just simply incredible and is going to be a hard one to shake off. I'm very angry right now, as are a lot of Steelers fans from the stuff around that I've been reading and I think the whole team as a unit needs to go away and have a long, hard think over this bye week because some of the stuff we've seen so far this season has been absolutely unacceptable.
Old 24.09.2012, 04:24 AM
MVP

If it wasn't about it being the Raiders then this wouldn't be necessary. "... who aren't going to make post-season this year which is something we now share in common with you as we won't be either."

You expected a comfortable win and didn't get it. Underestimated the opposition and thrown your legendary D coordinator + your only player to get a sack under the bus.

Big girls blouse.
Old 24.09.2012, 08:40 AM
All Pro

Quote:
If it wasn't about it being the Raiders then this wouldn't be necessary. "... who aren't going to make post-season this year which is something we now share in common with you as we won't be either."

You expected a comfortable win and didn't get it. Underestimated the opposition and thrown your legendary D coordinator + your only player to get a sack under the bus.

Big girls blouse.
Yeah we were favourites and should have comfortably won - your secondary is beat up, you have little pass rush, your offence has been struggling etc. But fair play to you, you made the plays that mattered, were the more disciplined team (To the shock of Fouts!) won the turnover battle and ultimately the game.

Its not about losing to you, its the manner that we lost. Once again we were undisciplined, giving away needless penalties (Keisel on 4th and goal, the 2 on the brown return to name a couple)
Despite not having a running game we dominated TOP but the defence couldn't stop a team from scoring that hadn't scored over 30 points since week 3 last year.
All we seemed to do was middle zone blitzes and Palmer just passed around it.

Our linebacking core is supposed to be the heart of the defence, but has been poor all season. Harrison is injured and if/when he comes back will he be the same player? Carter just doesn't provide the same pressure. Timmons has been poor all year (for a linebacker that never leaves the field he has 11 solos on the year!) Despite Woodley getting the sack he isn't consistent - he gets the stats and the occasional highlight play to make the average fan think he is, but those of us who watch him week in week out notice the lack of consistency and effort. Our "best" linebacker this season is Foote and he was deemed expendable a couple of years ago.
Overall the defense lacks talent, depth & direction and its been like this for over a year.
Old 24.09.2012, 10:39 AM
All Pro

Now we have a point scoring offense, now we don't have a defense . .

We get Oakland in a 3rd and need to make situation, and only bring 5 people and Ike gives an 8 yard cushion, . . simple out route, that even I could have run, and yes low and behold another first down, entirely unacceptable . . grrrr!

The whole D'line looked like they were on roller skates, Kiesel and Hood were pitiful . . .

It's going to be a long old season judging by that defensive display!!

hats off to the Raiders, they were hungrier and better, we were out coached again, DL, tomlin, these two are meant to be two of the best in the game, . . we have minimal talent on defense right now, but we shouldn't be this bad.

We need to get Heyward starting and stick McClendon on the other end, and Snack will have to surfice in the middle for now!!

and our linebackers are terrible, this is the worst bunch i've EVER witnessed!!

terrible terrible terrible . . .

the offense i can't complain too much, we had our share of luck along the way and stuff happens, . . .the Colon experiment isn't working either, his two years out of the game is evident, crap!!
Old 24.09.2012, 10:50 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Raiders 2012:
1st half scores 16-17
2nd half scores 11-40

Shut down the Chargers running game, got destroyed by Reggie Bush.
Palmer? Averaging 47 attempts and 335 ypg.
McFadden? 26 rushes, 54 yards...15 receptions, 105 yards.

Steelers, you are facing a very strange team here. Don't be surprised if at any stage we look like winning, and then randomly collapse, turning to jelly.

I have to imagine that the Offense will start running the ball, that it can score over 20 points and that the D will manage 4 quarters of what it did for 5 quarters of the first 2 games so far. Marginal Oakland win, hoping against all hope.
A well deserved Gameball to our guest - thanks for all the input about the contest. Credit to the Raiders - they wanted it more.

We're all disappointed and confused about the Steelers right now. Ben's putting up great numbers, but I feel that some of his quotes about running the no huddle and "going back to things we did a few years ago" aren't helping the Haley relationship question. Mendy's return won't revitalise the running game either - he perfected the half spin, run backwards move last season. Our running game will suck until DeCastro's back healthy next year - ouch!

Defense is depressing! No pressure, no energy, no ideas! Where's Timmons? This could well be the end of the road for Lebeau, then we must identify a difference maker to lead this unit on the field for the next decade - right now he's not on the roster!

Gee, I hate these Mondays after a loss
Old 24.09.2012, 11:47 AM
All Pro

Quote:

Big girls blouse.
I didn't expect "a comfortable win." What I didn't expect us was to twice throw away a ten-point lead when we're supposed to be a post-season football team. Let's face it you played very well in the second half but don't underestimate the way we let you get back into the game, our linebacker and corners corp were a joke and when you don't protect the football with both hands and fumble twice in quick succession it's hardly any surprise is it?

The only big girls blouses wore white and yellow uniforms yesterday my friend.
Old 24.09.2012, 12:14 PM
MVP

If the Steelers "let" the Raiders score then what exactly did the Raiders do to stop Roethlisberger? Not a whole lot. Marched up and down exposing our coverage for almost the whole game. It's not that the Raiders don't have players to create pressure it's that a QB like BB can extend the play & make multiple reads. Pressure starts with coverage. Tbh it would have been a bizarre decision for you guys to run the ball because our team wanted you to.

It's impossible to compare our O now to last seasons which was a totally different system, didn't have McFadden and had a Carson Palmer literally just off of his sofa. McFadden, Myers, Reece, Palmer & Moore is one of the better offensive groups you will face all season & you will see this as the season progresses.

Once you accept that the Raiders are half decent then you can stop gnashing teeth about entire units being "terrible" and focus on a few of the specifics that turned around a typically tight NFL contest, like a Raider-like tally of penalties & losing the turnover battle.

Hard to beat most teams when you do that. Especially ultra hungry ones.

Going forward your O can be one of the best in the league, very few teams will stop you passing and scoring for more than a half. And your D still has 2 all time great players to come back, but may need to make adjustments with the front 7 perhaps not what it was.
Old 24.09.2012, 12:16 PM
All Pro

antonio's fumble really was the killer in this game, it swung everything . .

i think we're clutching at straws to right the team defensively . . .

If Harrison and Polomalu return, that can only help, but will it be enough, . .i don't see either player having the same kind of impact they brought in there heydays . . .

the painful thing is you couldn't pick out one defensive player last night who you could say played well, they all played below par or to their ability . . .

Our team at the moment can be described like this . .

The good:

Ben
Young Money
Heath Miller

The bad:

Everything else

Last edited by Terrible Towel; 24.09.2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 24.09.2012, 12:25 PM
All Pro

Terrible defensive performance...no way we come even close to being the no.1 ranked defense this year. Raiders did pass the ball well and McFadden is one of the best RB's when he's healthy but should not have thrown the lead away.

The passing game was good and will keep us in some games but apart from that, this could be a long season.