What Grinds Your Gears - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Entertainment/News

  #1  
Old 01.06.2012, 09:54 AM
wayne ellis's Avatar
wayne ellis wayne ellis is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 31.10.2005
Posts: 23,572
Default What grinds your gears?

I must be getting old as I seem to find most things annoying these days, too many to list off the top of my head but here's a few TV related ones to start....

1. Go Compare adverts. Seriously, stop now before someone gets hurt.....

2. Dodgy lip syncing in adverts. What's the point? Can't ad makers hire "actors" who can actually talk properly?

3. The continuing obsession with Rene Higuita's bloody Scorpion Kick in adverts. It happened 17 years ago and he only did it because the flag had gone up for offside. Nobody cares anymore....

4. Every other ad being for some personal injury firm or other, most of which feature people you wish would suffer a very personal injury themselves....

5. The Jeremy Kyle Show. This steaming pile of monkey poo ran it's course about 2 minutes into the first program and how that jumped up little *** ever got on TV is beyond me. The only people he and his show could possibly appeal to aren't even allowed TV's (or sharp cutlery)....

6. Piers Morgan.

7. Just about every ad in the last 10 years or so making all men out to be knuckle-dragging Neanderthals who lack the mental capacity to tie their own laces or breathe with their mouth shut.

8. Cutting off or talking over the end credits of a program/film to plug the next program which, considering how crap most TV is these days, probably isn't worth watching anyway.

9. Soaps not managing one single uplifting storyline between them. Personally I'd rather chop my dangly bits off with a rusty knife than watch any of them but, for the benefit of those who do, surely it doesn't have to be a never ending torrent of misery?

10. Michael Parkinson. You know where you can stick that free pen, Michael.....

So, what gets your goat?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01.06.2012, 10:05 AM
Manic Patriot's Avatar
Manic Patriot Manic Patriot is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 21.01.2009
Posts: 3,601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
I must be getting old as I seem to find most things annoying these days, too many to list off the top of my head but here's a few TV related ones to start....

1. Go Compare adverts. Seriously, stop now before someone gets hurt.....

2. Dodgy lip syncing in adverts. What's the point? Can't ad makers hire "actors" who can actually talk properly?

3. The continuing obsession with Rene Higuita's bloody Scorpion Kick in adverts. It happened 17 years ago and he only did it because the flag had gone up for offside. Nobody cares anymore....

4. Every other ad being for some personal injury firm or other, most of which feature people you wish would suffer a very personal injury themselves....

5. The Jeremy Kyle Show. This steaming pile of monkey poo ran it's course about 2 minutes into the first program and how that jumped up little *** ever got on TV is beyond me. The only people he and his show could possibly appeal to aren't even allowed TV's (or sharp cutlery)....

6. Piers Morgan.

7. Just about every ad in the last 10 years or so making all men out to be knuckle-dragging Neanderthals who lack the mental capacity to tie their own laces or breathe with their mouth shut.

8. Cutting off or talking over the end credits of a program/film to plug the next program which, considering how crap most TV is these days, probably isn't worth watching anyway.

9. Soaps not managing one single uplifting storyline between them. Personally I'd rather chop my dangly bits off with a rusty knife than watch any of them but, for the benefit of those who do, surely it doesn't have to be a never ending torrent of misery?

10. Michael Parkinson. You know where you can stick that free pen, Michael.....

So, what gets your goat?
Reality programmes.

That any twit who appears on a reality programme instantly becomes a 'celebrity'.

Anything on ITV2.

That almost every chat show host on tv is camp.

Last edited by PavlovsDog; 01.06.2012 at 10:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01.06.2012, 10:29 AM
Craigus89's Avatar
Craigus89 Craigus89 is offline
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: 24.01.2012
Posts: 716
Default

LOL, hard day off at home watching day time TV?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01.06.2012, 10:30 AM
Packman12's Avatar
Packman12 Packman12 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 19.06.2005
Posts: 16,587
Default Just a few

Comedians/failed actors that are completely humourless like Ricky Gervais, James Corden, Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler, Borat!

Go Compare Adverts

Dodgy lip syncing in adverts. What's the point? Can't ad makers hire "actors" who can actually talk properly? (Have to copy this one it is sooooooooooo true!)

Big Brother: It is sad that people live such an unfufilling lives they need to watch other people living in a house

X Factor, Pop Idol, The Voice. Yawn fest anyone can sing its not a real talent of note. Just shows for celeb wannabes who need to grow up.

Chavs……..a drain on society

Premiership Footballers overpaid, illiterate morons

Joey Barton: Common Thug

Facebook and Twitter. Social Media is over-rated and stops people actually talking to one another. Twitter is for arrogant SOB’s who want people to know what they are doing and to stalk Celebs.

Pointless Techno gadgets like the I Pad

Cheryl Cole Talentless, racist, Geordie Skank. Not even good looking…….lads you actually fancy a bottle of make-up……..sad really!

Women in 4x4’s sorry they cannot handle a vehicle that size and their dawdling causes so many accidents.

People who can only have a good time by getting utterly wasted

Tory Politicians

Text language: GTG LOL RFLMAO LMAO……………..LOL means lots of love anyway! I text using proper English…….the only one I use is LOL meaning laugh out loud.

The Republican Party…….they will bring about WWIII

The Monarchy………waste of money and an outdated institution.

The Torch Relay: Waste of money again!

Mike Vick being in the NFL……….should have been banned for life his presence is a stain on the shield.

Homophobes and Racists: Grow up you Neanderthals!

People who try to convert you to religion…….I can make my own mind up thank you very much!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01.06.2012, 10:46 AM
wayne ellis's Avatar
wayne ellis wayne ellis is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 31.10.2005
Posts: 23,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigus89 View Post
LOL, hard day off at home watching day time TV?
Don't start work until 2.10 and don't watch day time TV...

Have to agree with Titletown on Gervais, Corden (especially), Sandler (mostly) and Ferrell (only time he's been funny is in a cartoon)... Also agree with him on women 4x4 drivers although, having had several near misses with them before finally having my car written off by one in January, I'd stretch that to about 90% of all women drivers.

Also, Manic Patriot is bang on about reality shows. Whoever came up with the idea of Big Brother, and started the whole reality bandwagon in the process, should be hunted down and lynched....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01.06.2012, 10:53 AM
PavlovsDog's Avatar
PavlovsDog PavlovsDog is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 06.11.2004
Posts: 18,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Don't start work until 2.10 and don't watch day time TV...

Have to agree with Titletown on Gervais, Corden (especially), Sandler (mostly) and Ferrell (only time he's been funny is in a cartoon)... Also agree with him on women 4x4 drivers although, having had several near misses with them before finally having my car written off by one in January, I'd stretch that to about 90% of all women drivers.

Also, Manic Patriot is bang on about reality shows. Whoever came up with the idea of Big Brother, and started the whole reality bandwagon in the process, should be hunted down and lynched....
In general I agree on reality shows. I see no point in X Factor - surely if someone is talented enough, they will make it anyway.

Big Brother wasn't actually bad to start with. I liked the first 3-4 series, but once a few contestants found fame, it became a hotbed for wannabe actors/models/singers to just come on and use the show to try and launch a career. I haven't watched it for several years now.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01.06.2012, 10:58 AM
wayne ellis's Avatar
wayne ellis wayne ellis is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 31.10.2005
Posts: 23,572
Default

Also hate clicking on a Youtube link for something WWE or UFC related and, instead of getting the actual footage, I get some zit faced geek talking about it or a computer game version of the fight (despite the picture/write up suggesting otherwise).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01.06.2012, 11:13 AM
Csonka#39's Avatar
Csonka#39 Csonka#39 is offline
GOAT
 
Join Date: 06.10.2006
Posts: 21,249
Default

Phonics - those with kids learning to read and spell using this system will understand.

We teach them to sing the ABC using the letters correctly then they are told the letter i is an ii making an ie sound or e is an eah sound s is ssssss w is wuh so if they read the word weeds they end up with wuh-eah-eah-duh-ssss or mails would be mmm-ah-ii-llll-sss ARGGGHHHH SERIOUSLY....C'MON NOW!!!

Go Compare ads. .

website searches that link you to a **** site even if it is unrelated to your search in any way.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01.06.2012, 11:43 AM
wayne ellis's Avatar
wayne ellis wayne ellis is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 31.10.2005
Posts: 23,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csonka#39 View Post
Go Compare ads. .
Something tells me he won't be around much longer, Aleksandr's called in the boys....

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01.06.2012, 11:45 AM
Boatman's Avatar
Boatman Boatman is offline
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: 03.09.2008
Posts: 837
Default

People who make a statement on Have Your Say sections on news webstes and write "FACT" but fail to link any supporting evidence.

Exploitation TV. Claims to provide an insight into the lives of people of affliction x or of community y but in reality is nothing more than a modern Victorian freak show. Note. Reality TV could come under this banner.

Last edited by Boatman; 01.06.2012 at 12:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 02:02 AM.