Gameday Thread - Page 20 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 30.12.2013, 11:28 AM
Starter

I can't help wondering what would have been if Cutler had thrown a better pass to Marshall when he was wide open in the middle of the field with 16 seconds to go.
Old 30.12.2013, 11:29 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
Go BPA on D for the first couple of rounds at least. A QB can wait until the later rounds, it's so hit or miss spending a high pick on a new QB...I can think so many that have been busts over the last few years.
It's hard to get excited with players like EJ going in the 1st round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
I am curious to hear why you say this?
I just couldn't enjoy it, last night. Every time he made a play I was expecting the worst, and I'm judging him on it to some extent.

I want to rewatch from a purely technical POV.
Old 30.12.2013, 12:14 PM
Starter

the problem with cutler is if he's to stay on it means they will probably hang the franchise tag on him and he'l get a huge deal and screw up the salary cap.

similar for mccown who's free end of the season as well.

one of them will be gone as we wont be able to afford to throw money at two qb's and pick up new defenders.

the biggest thing id say they could do for the least amount of money is run the basics in to the team as last night was shocking from the non dead ball td when no one could be bothered to just drop on the ball. to yet again more poor tackling which has been an issue all season. and least we forget the amount of catches dropped. 2 of them where in their hands and yet they couldnt grab a hold of them.

personally id let cutler go. stick mccown on a 3 year contract and get a young good qb in the draft, not a super star out of the gate but a solid one they can work in to the setup over the next 2-3 years. while grabbing some younger heads for the def. may not win us the super bowl soon but it beats the hell out of trying again next year with a qb who just doesnt seem to be up for it half of the season.
Old 30.12.2013, 12:23 PM
All Pro

Cutler really didn't put a foot wrong last night as far as I'm concerned, but then he didn't create a miracle play to win the game either. He isn't worth a $100m contract unless it is very heavily loaded on the back end, what Cutler will play for in the next two seasons is really what counts. The franchise tag is still a realistic option regardless of what Emery foolishly blurted out way to early in the season.

We have a good Offense, possibly even without Cutler. We have youth on Offence too. The draft has to be Defensive, FA money has to be on Defense. A better than average D and we are genuine contenders. Money forces the Championship window to close very quickly, if we spend several seasons building a young D the O will have diminished again. Next years Defense has to be ready to play.

Really hoping Rodger's smile gets well and truly knocked off this face next week!
Old 30.12.2013, 01:33 PM
Pro

Since Jay's arrival in Chicago he completely silenced any debate about the starting QB which was brilliant given all the dross before him and the yearly debates we had to endure about who should start games. Definitely one of the best QB's in Chitown in my lifetime and he played well this year, although I understand why people are saying he didn't have that miracle, big play moment yesterday.

The problem is the price that Jay will cost, as mentioned above, along with his injuries and age. I personally believe that we have so many holes elsewhere I'm not sure we can afford him. Equally I am not sure we are currently good enough to be contenders and therefore going with someone else is the logical choice. Look at what's happened to Dallas this year after all the money splurged on Romo.

I personally would like to see a clearout of the Defence including Melton (he'll be too expensive and the ACL means we wouldn't pay what he'll expect), Peppers and see us bring in at least one defensive back (ideally 2), one or two LB's and new DE's.

Equally we should allow the Defensive Coordinator the chance and time to bring in a new defensive scheme. But based on this year I wouldn't allow Mel Tucker to stay on. Appreciate it wasn't his Defence and the injuries were insane meaning we didn't have the personnel to do anything else neverless this year we stank. As they said last night when you have to go back over 50 years to find a worse Defensive statistic, that tells you something.

Also although a much lesser priority, I'd like to see us find a better backup RB than Michael Bush. I know he didn't get many touches this year but with Forte 28 years old next season you do need a more solid player at this position. Again I'd go with a far cheaper and younger option or re-roll on one of the many back-up calibre RB's out there.
Old 30.12.2013, 08:05 PM
All Pro

I agree with what you say Timber ...I can't see Bush being here next year..I love Forte,but he isn't the power straight up the middle runner that we need that we so badly need..I thought Bush was going to be that guy,but sadly not to be.On the Cutler front,I am in two minds,do we keep him or spend the money some where else ieefence ..I said at the beginning of the season we would finish 8-8...new coach,new system..I can see us coming back a lot stronger next year .
Old 30.12.2013, 09:15 PM
Starter

Looking like a tough schedule for next season, projected opponents:

Home: Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, Miami, Dallas
Road: Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota, Atlanta, Carolina, New England, NY Jets, San Francisco

We could go 6-2 at home but very tough road games, need a minimum of 3 wins and a much better D!
Old 31.12.2013, 12:55 AM
Team Captain

I'm aware that it's foolish to look at a schedule for next year so early ..but if we can figure out a defense, we could really do a lot of damage next year... 5 of those teams will have new coaches, and we play two of them twice!

We are going to sweep GB next year that's a promise
Old 31.12.2013, 10:24 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsfanathalashall View Post
We are going to sweep GB next year that's a promise
Murdering Rodgers would seem a bit harsh bud; don't do it!
Old 31.12.2013, 10:39 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky QB View Post
Looking like a tough schedule for next season, projected opponents:

Home: Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, Miami, Dallas
Road: Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota, Atlanta, Carolina, New England, NY Jets, San Francisco

We could go 6-2 at home but very tough road games, need a minimum of 3 wins and a much better D!
A bit early to predict results for next year (This time last year I wouldnt have said we would have gone 4-0 against the AFC North) But this sched looks pretty brutal.

The Lions with their talent and more competent coaching will be so much better than they were this year.

Those road games look horrible, Niners, Patriots, Panthers, the Jets went 8-8 with a mediocre offense this year and I can't help thinking the Falcons gave up somewhat after the offense destroying injuries to Steven Jackson, Julio Jones and Roddy White - I can see them drastically improving next season.

With us being in rebuild mode on D, and who knows possibly a new QB, its 8-8 or 7-9 as my early offering of a prediction.