2016 NFL Draft Prospects Discussion Thread - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Old 31.08.2015, 12:56 PM
All Pro

Default 2016 NFL Draft Prospects Discussion Thread

Not sure how much there will be from me this year in this thread - this first post of the season explains - plus quick notes from North Dakota State/Montana.
Old 31.08.2015, 01:22 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by duesouth10 View Post
Not sure how much there will be from me this year in this thread - this first post of the season explains - plus quick notes from North Dakota State/Montana.
Sorry to hear that DS. I'm sure everyone will agree that your contributions here are top notch.
Old 31.08.2015, 01:42 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Sorry to hear that DS. I'm sure everyone will agree that your contributions here are top notch.
Cheers Richard. Kinda hit the wall after the last Draft - thought I would recover, but boy that NDSU/Montana game was a struggle - not a good sign! Never thought it would happen, perhaps a season off? Not sure...
Old 31.08.2015, 01:54 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by duesouth10 View Post
Cheers Richard. Kinda hit the wall after the last Draft - thought I would recover, but boy that NDSU/Montana game was a struggle - not a good sign! Never thought it would happen, perhaps a season off? Not sure...
There is a fine line between doing just enough and 'enjoying' it, and doing too much. You reach saturation point I expect. Plus, when you reach an almost 'industrial scale' of robotically churning out game after game it can become a grind.

I expect once you've had a break from it you'll feel a little differently. It sounds like after the monumental effort you put in last year burn out has kicked in. I'd say have a break and take each week as it comes.
Old 31.08.2015, 02:35 PM
All Pro

Perhaps concentrating on just one of the power 5 conferences would be a good move forwards. It would seem that people are becoming more interested in detailed knowledge that lead to specifics and that might well be a niche in the market.
Old 31.08.2015, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Your draft coverage over the years has been epic, DS. Think everyone would understand you taking a step back!
Old 31.08.2015, 05:36 PM
MVP

Yep, I haven't contributed much to your threads, but your knowledge has been very helpful to me in dynasty rookie drafts the last few years. Thanks.
Old 01.09.2015, 01:13 PM
All Pro

Your draft guide was great. It's certainly a shame, but if you aren't enjoying it as much, it is a lot of time to dedicate, so can fully understand taking a step back. I certainly couldn't put them hours in.
Old 01.09.2015, 01:34 PM
All Pro

Has anyone done much work on prospects? I've just started looking in depth at the QBs and it's a bit desperate so far.

Looked at Hackenberg, Cook, and Jones.

Hackenberg was very unimpressive. Only really had success with screens/dump offs. Poor mechanics, very inaccurate deep ball, holds onto it way too long. Physically he is what you want, everything else, no way could I see him cutting it at the next level unless there is a huge leap. Reminds me of Matt Stafford, without any talent.

Cook I quite like, but watching back in more detail than just game watching, I was a bit underwhelmed. Given time, he looks really good. Accurate, great touch at all levels, nice velocity. Problem comes when under pressure, he falls apart. Footwork is abysmal, throws off balance, falling backwards, and will throw to guys with defenders hanging all over him. Really needs to work on his composure and decision making under pressure.

Jones is an interesting one. The guy is a beast, physically he wows you, and when he gets going his speed and power are great to watch. He has a very big arm, and given time can make throws at all levels. Like Cook, will throw off balance, falling over, big no no in the NFL. I found he was far too quick to scrambling backwards and away from the pocket. The biggest cause for concern is the offense he runs. It's pretty dumbed down, and option, quick read plays. Id be intrigued by him, simply far the raw speed, power, and arm talent he has, but you want to see him make progress this year. He can't do that if doesn't even play, so it could be a concern for some.
Old 01.09.2015, 01:44 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by b182dammit View Post
Has anyone done much work on prospects? I've just started looking in depth at the QBs and it's a bit desperate so far.
Take a look at Jared Goff at Cal.

Big guy who has shown real poise in the pocket when allowed to play a few pro-style snaps. B+ arm. Accuracy on short and medium routs very good. More difficult to judge longer than 20 yards due to the lack of talent around him.

Feet could do with quite a lot of work and tends to look quite awkward when throwing on the run. May well be the guy who rushes to the top this year.

Hackenberg doesn't convince me at this point but I need to watch him more. Connor Cook I like a lot. He is a player who needs to develop into his body though so I feel this year will be very revealing. Who knows with Jones. There just isn't enough tape.