2016 NFL Draft Prospects Discussion Thread - Page 51 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Old 29.03.2016, 12:17 AM
GOAT

reactions to pro days by some are comical, Treadwell doesnt run a fast 40, no one should of expected one but receivers can be rather good even without speed and Treadwell has the quickness and beats his man without speed.
Old 29.03.2016, 12:30 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
reactions to pro days by some are comical, Treadwell doesnt run a fast 40, no one should of expected one but receivers can be rather good even without speed and Treadwell has the quickness and beats his man without speed.
Every reaction to a pro day is seemingly absurd. A player is either a nailed on round 1 guy or has potential to be a sleeper.

I really don't like Treadwell as a first round prospect. He feasts on small backs and is ordinary against bigger ones. The NFL is the land of giants so he will need to adapt to be successful. His first step in particular is something that needs a huge amount of examination.

Saying that, it is mind-numbing that anyone would expect him to run quickly and if you are high on his positives (he has hands of iron, wins contested catches away from his body remarkably well and has more route running ability than people give him credit for) then that should not effect how you see him at all. Frankly, if he runs 40 yards without ball in hand, a team is likely to be using him badly.
Old 29.03.2016, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 40 didn't he? He turned out ok...
Old 29.03.2016, 12:49 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 40 didn't he? He turned out ok...
Devon Funchess ran slower last year and went 41st overall. He was relatively productive last year as a rookie (473 yards and 5 touchdowns) but he is also stronger and taller than Treadwell. Taking this all into account, I would say that Treadwell would be good value in the early to mid second round but is a big reach as a top 10 pick.
Old 29.03.2016, 02:45 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFlyer View Post
Devon Funchess ran slower last year and went 41st overall. He was relatively productive last year as a rookie (473 yards and 5 touchdowns) but he is also stronger and taller than Treadwell. Taking this all into account, I would say that Treadwell would be good value in the early to mid second round but is a big reach as a top 10 pick.
comparing Funchess and Treadwell is on the comical side, Treadwell is a much better player. Funchess was/is a bit of a project, while Treadwell is pro ready.
if Treadwell goes to a side with a good QB, he will surpass those numbers.

he has good game speed, you see guys with slow 40s having success without some of Treadwells physical advantages.

if he drops that far then its injury that would be the cause and he did leave the pro day with an injury.

given the way the way things are likely to play out for the Giants pick (with Ramsey, Jack and Bosa off the board) then the 10 spot will mostly be between guys with flaws. i'd say the value spot for Treadwell is probably about 17.

but to get him in the second would be a dream (i would also be over the moon with Thomas in the second but again i doubt he gets out of the first.)

although the highlights game is flawed, i do like this gif (there are some very nice ones on his blocking too.)

but you need to do it against real competition too

Last edited by goodkarma84; 29.03.2016 at 02:54 AM.
Old 29.03.2016, 10:31 AM
All Pro

Big fan of the Tight end Jerell Adams out of South Carolina. Wanted him in the mock draft but he was taken before my 4th round pick. Got all the tools to be a solid starter in the NFL.

Also I think Vernon Adams is the best QB in the draft. His "Size" will be the reason he falls in the draft but he much better then Goff or Wentz.
Old 31.03.2016, 10:44 AM
Starter

Thoughts on Lawson v Dodd?

Is Dodd a 5tech?

Is Lawson McPhee or is he Upshaw? I.E can he use his power to generate pass rush at an NFL level?
Old 31.03.2016, 10:54 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyb3 View Post

Is Dodd a 5tech?

Is Lawson McPhee or is he Upshaw? I.E can he use his power to generate pass rush at an NFL level?
For me it is fairly clear cut that Lawson is the much better year 1 prospect. However it gets closer once you attempt to project forward although I still think Lawson has better awareness which could pay dividend.

Lawson is certainly capable of using speed to power moves once he is on the run but its questionable if he can do that efficiently from a standing start. To be honest, I don't think people will ask him to do that much though. He is too good at ripping both inside and out for him to waste to much energy at taking on the tackle where he may have a disadvantage.

Whether Dodd is a true 5 is likely to start a big argument as there are fair points on either side of the debate. He is certainly capable of playing the position but may be more efficient playing the 3.
Old 31.03.2016, 10:56 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFlyer View Post
For me it is fairly clear cut that Lawson is the much better year 1 prospect. However it gets closer once you attempt to project forward although I still think Lawson has better awareness which could pay dividend.

Lawson is certainly capable of using speed to power moves once he is on the run but its questionable if he can do that efficiently from a standing start. To be honest, I don't think people will ask him to do that much though. He is too good at ripping both inside and out for him to waste to much energy at taking on the tackle where he may have a disadvantage.

Whether Dodd is a true 5 is likely to start a big argument as there are fair points on either side of the debate. He is certainly capable of playing the position but may be more efficient playing the 3.
Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 31.03.2016, 03:49 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyb3 View Post

Is Dodd a 5tech?

Like FF said it's perhaps a case of now vs future. Lawson has more of a track record, but Dodd has the potential to have a higher ceiling.

Lawson looks a bit stiff at time to me, he's more a power pass rusher than Dodd though. Interestingly Lawson seems to have tested better than Dodd in combine/pro day drills and I didn't expect that. Lawson looks to have the heavier hands of the two as well. According to the tests Lawson is the superior athlete by some margin.

Dodd seems to have comparable ability to Lawson in terms of bend/dip to capture the edge, yet he's 6'5. His feet look quite good too for his size, he can find his way through traffic. Dodd's main advantage is his arm length (34"), he shouldn't have too much trouble coping with the reach of offensive linemen.

I'd never thought of Dodd as a 5 technique, but he has the frame to carry another 15-20lbs by the looks of it. If he got up to that 290lb range, doesn't lose too much speed, and maintains or improves his strength, then perhaps 5 technique wouldn't be a bad fit after all. As it is he's a 4-3 LDE imo, and that may also be true of Lawson.

People talk about the upside of Dodd, myself included, but I've just realised Dodd is 24, Lawson just turned 22.