The FBS Conference Realignment: 2010-15 - Page 9 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Sponsored Links

Old 18.10.2016, 09:31 PM
Team Captain

The comments by the ISU president show he knows they don't have a likely P5 landing place outside the B12.

Quote:
“When I hear people say Texas and Oklahoma this, I laugh because I’m in the room and that isn’t the case. The Big 12 exists because we have Texas and Oklahoma in the room. If we take Texas and Oklahoma out of the room, we are in the Mountain West Conference and we are going to get $3 million. It would be like somebody saying, ‘We don’t want Georges Niang on our team because he takes too many shots. Okay. We can take Georges Niang off of our team and let’s see how good we would have been the last couple of years. We have two star players whether people want to like that or not – Texas and Oklahoma. I am glad to be on a team that has two great players and we benefit from being on that team. We can go play on a weaker team and be the star but then everybody will be saying, ‘How do you get us in one of those Power 5 conferences Mr. AD?’”
Sponsored Links
Old 19.10.2016, 07:13 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_T View Post
They aren't a bad basketball program but nothing that makes them a must have
True. Its hard to predict what would happen if the Big 12 just collapsed because I doubt the Big Ten has any interest in someone like Iowa State at the moment but its different if all the other P5 conferences are adding teams and moving to 16.
Old 19.10.2016, 10:25 AM
Team Captain

I think the SEC would be fine staying at 14 even if the others were moving to sixteen if the teams available didn't add up. If Oklahoma and Texas went to the B1G or PAC12 i don't think they would be saying, **** we need to take West Virginia and Oklahoma State or TCU to get to 16 - the content wouldn't be much more valuable. If the model of in/out of state cable subscription fees is a dying model, then adding large alumni/quality programs (Texas, Oklahoma) over covering new states is more important (if it isn't then Texas schools don't increase subscription income and WVU/OK/KS don't have many eyeballs). OK State coming with Oklahoma could be a different story.

It's probably similar for the B1G but I think they are in a much better position to land Texas (and therefore probably Oklahoma).
Old 19.10.2016, 01:41 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote from Bill Connolly at SB Nation:

"My recommendation for Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas Tech, and West Virginia: be very good at football between now and 2024"
Old 20.10.2016, 01:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Arguably the biggest loser from the announcement that Big 12 won't expand?

New Mexico State.

They were probably banking on being picked up by MWC or C-USA after they lost teams to the AAC or Big 12 itself possibly. Now they will probably have to go independent and I'm not sure they'll survive long term in the FBS without joining a conference.