"Legal" #toutsout - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Old 03.02.2017, 05:31 PM
Team Captain

Default "Legal" #toutsout

I got an email from NFLUK saying that one of the two Wembley games is sold out. Thankfully, I have a season ticket, having never missed an IS game yet, but I feel bad for those fans that want to go to a game and can't because tickets have been snapped up by touts for resale at inflated prices. Even worse, I'm certain that the legal retailer will have placed blocks of tickets with their reselling agents "as a service to those who want to go but missed the opportunity to buy tickets when they first went on sale".

I just went onto the Viagogo site (the most notorious of the resellers, according to Radio 4) and found tickets in the area I will be (but much further back) for four times face value! And that doesn't include the fees that Viagogo chucks on at the end. Interestingly, some of the tickets on sale include free meals at Wembley or even VIP access! How can people get these tickets for resale? Who has this kind of ticket? Surely NFLUK is aware of who they give/sell VIP access tickets to?

What really bugs me is that NFLUK claims they will deal with touts by voiding tickets: "We have a zero tolerance policy of accounts with irregular purchasing activity. Anyone identified doing so will have tickets cancelled, these will be put back on sale at a later date." Yes, right! I'd like to see the evidence that NFLUK is prepared to actively fight touting. It should be perfectly easy to have a system at Wembley/Twickenham where every ticket gaining access to the stadium has to be accompanied by the credit card that paid for it. Alternatively, some form of photo ID should be shown against tickets with the named purchaser on them. There are many ways that touts can be stopped.

Policing the reselling sites would be a start.
Sponsored Links
Old 03.02.2017, 11:00 PM
Pro

The reselling sites are the bane of every event, sport, music, comedy shows. It has been discussed in parliament but as ever they are slow to respond.

Ticketmaster own Getmein and automatically put tickets on there, it has been proven.
Old 03.02.2017, 11:08 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadcol View Post
The reselling sites are the bane of every event, sport, music, comedy shows. It has been discussed in parliament but as ever they are slow to respond.

Ticketmaster own Getmein and automatically put tickets on there, it has been proven.
Scum the lot of them. It would be simple to make it illegal to re-sell tickets. However clearly someone is making money off this and is greasing someone hands to prevent legislation going through.
Old 04.02.2017, 06:55 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal Bin View Post
Scum the lot of them. It would be simple to make it illegal to re-sell tickets. However clearly someone is making money off this and is greasing someone hands to prevent legislation going through.
Or maybe making the reselling of tickets illegal isn't simple at all, would be difficult to enforce, and would actually be an unnecessary over reaction?

When I looked at the resale sites this morning it looked like 5-7% of the tickets available for the Dolphins/Saints game were listed. Not all of those are professional touts, not all of those will sell for the prices currently listed.
Old 04.02.2017, 07:07 AM
All Pro

Seems a bit dumb given everyone knows the team returns come out later in the year. Why pay over inflated prices when all you need to do is wait.
Old 04.02.2017, 07:21 AM
Rookie

Yes but how many team returns are there? And how do you know the touts won't harvest those too?
Old 04.02.2017, 07:47 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by womble5 View Post
Yes but how many team returns are there? And how do you know the touts won't harvest those too?
We dont. But I also doubt that in the space of 1 year the demand for the Series has gone from one where tickets were pretty readily available up until close to the game, to one where its a huge battle

I might be completely wrong, but I suspect those tickets being touted will struggle to sell, especially at silly prices.

Especially if they announce there are evening games, where they are competing with better match ups on TV. If you are undecided, which would you choose a 4x face value ticket to a poor match up, or watch on TV a much better one.
Old 04.02.2017, 09:14 AM
Team Captain

The sad thing is, many of the people selling on the reseller websites will be fellow fans who deliberately overbought in order to make a quick buck. Parliament is looking into this, but action will take forever. NFLUK has solutions if it chooses to take them. Here's an example from one singer's ticket sales on Ticketmaster that could be applied to IS games:

"This event is for fans only and the following rules are in place to ensure that tickets do not get sold on ensuring fans do not pay a higher price for their tickets. Tickets are limited to 4 per person and photo ID will be required to be presented by the lead booker upon arrival at the venue on the night of the show. The name of the lead booker will be printed on each ticket. The name cannot be changed once the booking has been made. The lead booker will be asked to present ID to gain entry into the venue. Where the lead booker is purchasing more than their own ticket, each guest in the party must arrive with the lead booker at the venue on the night of the show. Failure to do so will result in the guests being turned away."

The ball is in your court, NFLUK.
Old 04.02.2017, 10:35 AM
Pro

The problem with bans on resale need to be very carefully worded as other people get around it.

Some other countries in Europe tried banning resale so instead you sell a Dolphins cap for £250 and that comes with a "free" ticket to the game.

The only way of stopping resale is making you bring the credit card or debit card used to pay for the tickets and swiping that to get in the ground. I believe they do something like this with the Harry Potter play in London as JKRowling insisted they keep out the touts. That like NFL is sold out so you have to offer a buy back option on tickets if people genuinely can't go. For NFL given the massive handling fee from Ticketmaster they should be made to do for free so you get back face value but liar that handling fee. The ticket should then so back on sale at face value on their main site and not be scammed at much higher price on their resale ones.
Old 05.02.2017, 12:23 PM
MVP

As I've said before, I can't support banning re-sale because if that happened people like me would never get to go to games in the USA. I rely on that to get a ticket where often there are no single tickets available from the teams, or random, poorly located odd seats only. You shouldn't be able to stop people from selling seats on. What they could do is stop ticket companies from sending tickets straight to secondary market.

Prices on Viagogo are just prices. I could put my Saints-Dolphins ticket up for sale for £50,000 on a website somewhere. But nobody will buy it at that price. It is supply and demand. In the US, where resale is a reality for many fans, this cuts both ways. Sellers often start with wishful thinking prices: for top games they might get their way. But once the team gets to 4-10 on the season and there are 30,000 other people desperate to sell because they don't want to go anymore, prices go through the floor and you can get yourself a bargain.

As I've said before, culturally there is aversion to paying above face value for tickets in this country, but culturally there is also an acceptance/resignation that you just won't be able to get a ticket for certain games. The mentality is largely that you either get a ticket face value or you don't get to go. In American sports it is different - no day more so than today, the Super Bowl, where the vast majority of fans will be going for super-inflated prices but knowing full well that otherwise they wouldn't have got to go at all. Hence I hold out zero hope of getting a ticket for Spurs-Arsenal despite living 2 miles from the stadium but I know I can be at Steelers-Packers at Heinz Field if I want to be. I go online here in the UK, buy my ticket - in the exact seat and block I choose, print it at home and I have complete comfort that the seller's original ticket has been cancelled and my ticket will work at the turnstile, without needing to go near a grubby tout or anything. I would not support a motion to ban this.

Tags
reselling , ticketmaster , tickets , touts , viagogo