Which Rookie QB will start first? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Sponsored Links

Old 06.05.2017, 01:57 PM
Rookie

Default Which Rookie QB will start first?

Hey guys! I recently wrote an article predicting when the quarterbacks drafted in the first and second round of the 2017 Draft would play their first game.

I'd really appreciate it if you'd give it a read and any feedback would be great!

Thanks

http://firstdownpodcast.weebly.com/a...ll-start-first
Sponsored Links
Old 06.05.2017, 04:07 PM
All Pro

I reasonably agree on Trubisky and Mahomes

The 2 I disagree with are Watson. Who unless he utterly messes up is day 1 starter. Tom Savage is almost as unproven as him, with a lot less talent

And Kizer. No way should Kizer be near the field early. He needs huge work to get him ready, he is so raw both physically and mentally that it would be a train wreck to start him. Give him a shot in the final few weeks of the season, fine, to compare him to the 2018 QBs. But before that, no way. Jackson is smart, he knows sending out a really raw rookie would do him so much long term damage
Old 06.05.2017, 05:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Dane Bugler had the Bears taking a QB at #3, more than likely Trubisky, 3 or 4 weeks before the draft. That's what a number of teams suspected.

As for Trubisky/Glennon I think Trubisky sits 2017. I'd be tempted to say he starts late in the year if the Bears are out of contention but if he falters then you'll be faced with a summer of discontent. 2018 the Bears can move on from Glennon on the cheap if needs be.

Mahomes, barring injury, I don't see seeing the field before mid season 2018.

Watson looks the favourite to start first because O'Brien needs to find his QB asap. They've gutted their 2018 Draft to solve the problem now.

Can't see Kizer starting so early. They've built the roster (and O line) to help Kessler. They can (should) be able to run the ball and play hard D, then keep it simple for Kessler. Kizer has the upside, and record dependent will see the field before the season is out, if for no other reason than to see if they need to draft ANOTHER QB in 2018.

So I'd say Watson, Kizer. Trubisky, Mahomes, in that order barring injury.
Old 06.05.2017, 06:25 PM
MVP

the Browns will probably have atleast 3 different starting qb's by week 8 if recent history repeats but surely its Watson with the Texans,if he doesn't start week 1 then he will be playing as soon as Savage has a bad game(easy to say that will be during september)
Old 07.05.2017, 09:53 AM
Rookie

Thank you so much for reading and commenting, really appreciate it.

In reply to your comments:

Firstly with Watson, I think we might see a similar situation to that of the Rams last year with Goff and Keenum. They'll want Watson to start but Savage will be the safer option for the first couple of weeks.

As for Trubisky, I agree that he should sit the whole of 2017 but I think circumstances and impatience will prevent that happening.

With Mahomes I'd like to see him sit for two whole years but I feel like Alex Smith is going to have a poor season in 2017 and the fans will be crying out for Mahomes at the start of 2018.

Finally, I completely agree that he is raw and isn't close to being a starter but I feel Kessler really isn't durable. Also, as Lee said, it's the Browns and nothing ever seems to go right for them when it comes to QB's!

Thanks again for the comments, I'll be posting more articles and hopefully some podcasts all season long.
Old 07.05.2017, 10:49 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstDownPod View Post

With Mahomes I'd like to see him sit for two whole years but I feel like Alex Smith is going to have a poor season in 2017 and the fans will be crying out for Mahomes at the start of 2018.

What makes you think Smith is going to have a bad year?
Smith may have regressed to an extent last year, and may not be the man to get KC over the hurdle of the last few weeks of the playoffs, but there's little to suggest its the start of a long term decline or he's going to collapse to the point the Rams offense did last year opening the door for Goff

Also in SF he played this best football with Keapernick poised ready to play behind him. Only injury lost him his job there. Smith is an easy target, but if Mahomes starts running about, slinging the ball about as he did in college, KC might be crying out for the ball control offense of Smith
Old 07.05.2017, 02:37 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
What makes you think Smith is going to have a bad year?
Smith may have regressed to an extent last year, and may not be the man to get KC over the hurdle of the last few weeks of the playoffs, but there's little to suggest its the start of a long term decline or he's going to collapse to the point the Rams offense did last year opening the door for Goff

Also in SF he played this best football with Keapernick poised ready to play behind him. Only injury lost him his job there. Smith is an easy target, but if Mahomes starts running about, slinging the ball about as he did in college, KC might be crying out for the ball control offense of Smith
I'm not arguing with you when it come to the fans wanting Smith back if Mahomes continues to be reckless, but what I am predicting is the FIRST start not when Mahomes will become a regular starter.

But I appreciate you point and I don't disagree with you.
Old 07.05.2017, 04:21 PM
Starter

Kiser is only raw though in the sense of what mock draft experts consider to be raw

In terms of coming out of college he is seasoned or raw as any other before, like Manning or Elway or whichever QB you can think of

Sure that doesn't mean he should be put in but in terms of just sticking a rookie in to get him time and experience, let him get those knocks, then he isn't raw
Old 07.05.2017, 09:44 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstDownPod View Post
I'm not arguing with you when it come to the fans wanting Smith back if Mahomes continues to be reckless, but what I am predicting is the FIRST start not when Mahomes will become a regular starter.

But I appreciate you point and I don't disagree with you.
alex smith has a $20.6m cap hit in 2018 but only $3mish in dead money so the chiefs would be wise to move on if the 33 year old Smith doesn't say win the MVP this year or lead them to the superbowl.if you want to get the full use of maybe drafting your franchise QB and getting him cheap with how the rookie salary cap its no use waiting around till 2019.

smith is an above average QB but he is not that much better than a Hoyer,maybe just played on better teams.
Old 08.05.2017, 06:29 AM
MVP

I hope Watson either starts game 1 (or preferably game 3 of pre-season) or doesn't start at all next year.

Tags
draft , nfl , quarterback , rookie , sport