........Dallas Cowboys thread - Page 103 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Sponsored Links

Old 20.02.2008, 01:28 PM
All Pro

Default Re:........Dallas Cowboys thread

[quote author=BillBates link=board=1;threadid=7996;start=1005#msg840636 date=1202055801]
If it was a straight swap, Barber for the Dolphins #1 pick, it may, just may be worth a deal.

Bear in mind the amount of cash it would take to sign a #1 in the draft, would take up much of our spare cash, and would probably mean that we end up losing Hamlin, "False Start" Flo, and others.

All this for an unproven (in NFL terms) RB.
I know it's unlikely, but McFadden could be a bust in the NFL.

I'd rather see us get in the real Roy Williams (I think that Glenn's days are numbered), and then draft a RB and CB who can be effective in year 1.
[/quote]

We haven't got enough cap room to sign the absolute number #1 pick this year and sort out all of our other concerns.

If we go for a back, we can go for Felix Jones (another Jones!)

Glenn might have to retire depending on how his knee is. If we go for a WR in the draft, do we go for Limas Sweed out of Texas? The WR class is otherwise not very strong. Free agency looks to be offering only the very expensive, or the too slow/too old/too rubbish, variety.

We mustn't lose Flo. Call him "False Start" Flozell all you want, but he is a Pro Bowl left tackle. Do you seriously want an untested left tackle protecting Romo's blindside? Are you mad? We must re-sign Flo and possible franchise Hamlin to keep him.

We also keep Marion the Barbarian for sure. F Jones could be brought along to compliment him. J Jones will be out of here soon IMO.

Corner is one position where we need quality depth though, I will agree with you. After Newman and Henry we are stuck. Jacques Reeves was picked on time and again last season.
Sponsored Links
Old 20.02.2008, 05:53 PM
All Pro

We have three immediate needs IMO, Nickelback, WR and Back up RB.

Looking at the teams between our first round picks;
Steelers
Titans
Seahawks
Jaguars
Chargers

The more I see of the draft class, the more I think that our first pick has to be a WR if the right one is available.

The Titans and possibly the Jaguars would be intrested in a WR, Steelers should be looking O line, Chargers and Seahawks will probably be taking the best available player, rather than draftting position, both could take a CB?

I think at least one of Mike Mayocks top 5 will be available at No.28;
1. Brandon Flowers Virginia Tech
2. Leodis McKelvin Troy
3. Aqib Talib Kansas
4. Mike Jenkins South Florida
5. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Tennessee State

And if not you also have Antoine Cason and Reggie Smith.

But I think if DeShaun Jackson, Mario Manningham, Limas Sweed all go before 22 then Early Doucet and Malcolm Kelly will be gone by 28.

And I dont see anything worth a first round pick after them. Adarius Bowman or Donnie Avery in the third would be the best scenario.

So I propose that with pick 28 we take the best available CB, with the 2 nd round pick we take the best available change of pace RB and in the third the best available WR.

But with pick 22 we take either a top 5 WR or a future replacement for Flozell Adams.

Ideal draft would be;

1st WR Kelly Oklahoma
1st CB Cason Arizona
2nd RB Johnson East Carolina
3rd WR Bowman Oklahoma State
Old 21.02.2008, 10:22 PM
All Pro

Hamlin gets franchise tag, Adams enters Free Agency.

Pretty much what was expected, but hopefully we can find a way to keep Flozell.
Old 22.02.2008, 01:49 PM
All Pro

Exactly.

It will cost us, but we need to re-sign Adams.

With two first round picks in April, I believe trading one of them for a few later round picks might be prudent because we'll have salary cap problems if we want to re-sign Adams and Barber, as well as slapping the franchise tag on Hamlin. Don't forget that Leonard Davis and Romo already have monster deals.

We should ABSOLUTELY NOT look to draft McFadden. He is far too much of a luxury and getting him would cost too much in the way of picks and cash. Felix Jones seems to be dropping down the board - Scott Wright has him at #28, so he would be available for us either there or at #22.

Jonathan Stewart is likely to be taken well before the 22nd pick.

NFLDraftDog.com has the Boys taking WR Kelly at #22 (that should please you Sooner!) and DB Rodgers-Cromatie (who is out of Div IAA school Tennessee State) at #28. John L Clarke has us taking DB Reggie Smith at 22 (Clarke likes his ability to play either corner or safety) and Doucet at 28.

Sweed has injury concerns (wrist) so perhaps we would be better off with Kelly?

All of this speculation really gets the juices flowing - I can't wait for the Draft now! ;D
Old 22.02.2008, 03:29 PM
Rookie

Flo has just changed agents......to a more JJ friendly one ;D

I would expect Miami to try and sign him but if he stays in Dallas it must be on the Cowboys terms
Flo would be a huge loss but sometimes its just time to say goodbye, look at LA in San Francisco
Old 22.02.2008, 03:47 PM
Starter

[quote author=South London Sooner link=board=1;threadid=7996;start=1020#msg853406 date=1203632556]
Hamlin gets franchise tag, Adams enters Free Agency.
[/quote]

Interesting to see that Hamlin's agent was non-committal about the whole thing according to the Star Telegram...

Quote:
Asked if either he or his client were pleased with the franchise tag, Hamlin's agent, Kennard McGuire, said, "I have no response to that," in a brief phone interview.

When asked if he planned to meet this weekend with Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones and/or team president Stephen Jones, who are expected to arrive in Indianapolis on Friday, McGuire said, "When the opportunity presents itself."

That ended the interview.
More here... http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/488745.html
Old 22.02.2008, 04:01 PM
Starter

[quote author=Ed Hercules link=board=1;threadid=7996;start=1020#msg853583 date=1203688191]
...Don't forget that Leonard Davis and Romo already have monster deals...[/quote]

Heard they may restructure Romo's contract and lower his $8.4 million against the cap by turning some of it into a signing bonus.
Old 22.02.2008, 06:24 PM
Team Captain

No surprise that they tagged Hamiln.
His tag number is about half of what Flo’s would have been.
It gives Jerry & Steve an opportunity to get longer term deals done with both.

And Ed, read again what I posted regarding “False Start” Flo.

The point was that we don’t need DMac at #1, as that would make it difficult to re-sign Flo & Hamlin, not that we don’t need him.

That said, if he wants ridiculous money I think he will be gone.

There’s a lot of speculation on the Cowboys forums that either Free or McQuistan are ready for a starting job, hence why the Cowboys may let Flo test the market.
Not sure that’s a great idea, and if he does I think he will be gone
Old 22.02.2008, 06:27 PM
All Pro

Some speculation the Davis could moved to or back up the LT position.
Old 22.02.2008, 10:00 PM

[quote author=South London Sooner link=board=1;threadid=7996;start=1020#msg853682 date=1203704824]
Some speculation the Davis could moved to or back up the LT position.
[/quote]

Dear God, please let it just be speculation.