Bengal blog - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cincinnati Bengals

Old 15.11.2010, 04:14 PM
Rookie

Default Bengal blog

Hello there,

Just thought I'd draw your attention to a blog I have been writing on the Bengals and uploading to the websites of the papers I work for in the West Midlands.
I started it off a couple of years ago and it was originally focused on all US sports. Over the time this became just the NFL and this year I resurrected it to just focus on the Bengals (a decision I may rapidly reconsider to avoid constant repetition)

You can read the latest entry, focusing on my trip to Cincinnati (self-funded) for Monday Night Football here: http://www.halesowennews.co.uk/sport...no_win/?ref=mc
It's obviously already out of date and I'll be posting another entry later in the week - probably Thursday.
I'd welcome any comments, good or bad, feel free to slag off my views (and prose) if you wish as this will all help boost the hits.
Clearly the blog is in something of a backwater in its current location and I'm planning to move it to a site of its own in the next couple of weeks.

Once again, thanks for reading this shameless plug.

Matt Maher
Old 15.11.2010, 05:38 PM
MVP

I like it, it was spot on with what you said about the team, and I think you write pretty well too. Hang around here and post a bit, share your views with us.

Make sure you keep posting when you update it as well as it makes for a good read.

I personally would go out and send a third rounder to Philly for Kevin Kolb if they get Vick signed up. I really like Kolb, and think a trade for him would work out really well. I hope we can get it sorted out, but I would be massively surprised if we trade for a QB and still surprised if we draft one in the first three rounds.

I want us to draft Kellen Moore out of Boise on a flier if he comes out this year. He probably won't be great, but I love the guy.
Old 16.11.2010, 12:34 PM
Team Captain

Nice one Matt,good read.
Looking to go over myself for a game either next season or the one after(finances permitting)-so very interesting.
Yes,even as a Palmer supporter/apologist, I agree we do need to be planning his replacement (or understudy)-whether its going to be a trade/free agent or draft pick will probably depend on how he closes out the season.
The only thing I'd say is that Mike Brown is going nowhere.We are who we are and he is the owner.We can have winning seasons(not many) under him and just have to get on with it.We've all followed/put up with our team for a long time-I think the frustrations are a part of being a Bengal! The owner won't change and will ultimately hand over to Katie.I know everybody makes the same point-until Mike Brown goes we wont do this or that, but really we need to leave that point in the drawer because its moot.
Also,perversely, we probably wouldn't 'feel' the same franchise without him (see Man City). I'm not disagreeing with you,don't get me wrong -but a part of me likes us being the underdog -makes going 6-0 in the Division all the more satisfying!
Old 16.11.2010, 04:37 PM
MVP

Nice blog.

I posted the exact same thing regarding Mike Brown in the Bengals thread (hope you didn't just copy me) , but in all seriousness we need to wake up to that fact imo. It doesn't matter who the HC is, we'll always be the same old Bengals with him at the helm. The only glimmer of hope would be him relinquishing the GM role if a new HC demanded it but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 16.11.2010, 05:09 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalblueboy1 View Post
Nice one Matt,good read.
Looking to go over myself for a game either next season or the one after(finances permitting)-so very interesting.
Yes,even as a Palmer supporter/apologist, I agree we do need to be planning his replacement (or understudy)-whether its going to be a trade/free agent or draft pick will probably depend on how he closes out the season.
The only thing I'd say is that Mike Brown is going nowhere.We are who we are and he is the owner.We can have winning seasons(not many) under him and just have to get on with it.We've all followed/put up with our team for a long time-I think the frustrations are a part of being a Bengal! The owner won't change and will ultimately hand over to Katie.I know everybody makes the same point-until Mike Brown goes we wont do this or that, but really we need to leave that point in the drawer because its moot.
Also,perversely, we probably wouldn't 'feel' the same franchise without him (see Man City). I'm not disagreeing with you,don't get me wrong -but a part of me likes us being the underdog -makes going 6-0 in the Division all the more satisfying!
Being an underdog is nice, but I'd always prefer to have success consistently. I'd much prefer to be a contender year in year out than have one amazing season every five years.

Saying that, I would take one Super Bowl win and then nine years of being terrible!
Old 16.11.2010, 06:05 PM
All Pro

One super bowl win and 9 years of misery? Does that make the team waaaaay overdue!!? :0p

Yeah Matt that blog was good and some interesting places in Cincinnati I haven't been so will use that info when I hopefully go next autumn.
I'm pretty damn glad I didn't go to Cincinnati this year, if I was not going to go one season then this would be it so my condolences on witnessing yet another Bengal travesty. On the flip side no matter how bad your team plays its ALWAYS good to be there.
Its kinda weird but when I'm there in PBS I just feel I fit, that little cold shiver down your neck as Welcome to the Jungle is played as the players hit the field and the fact that me wearing orange and black is 'normal' behaviour! I can talk to people about the Bengals and the NFL and speak to them for hours and they never have that 'I'm bored look' that my missus has after 3-4 seconds of me wittering on.
Alls good now. I have retracted into my 'Bengals are crap' way of viewing the games like I used to at the back end of the nineties and early noughties. Its less painful that way. This week my mate came round and we watched the game live again on gamepass. When the Bengals started to come back and do their usual 'teasing' that they always do that used to make me sit on the edge of my seat... well.... that didn't happen on sunday night...simply I said to my mate 'don't be decieved mate, keep watching and you'll see them stuff it all up...I don't know how but somehow, in some way they will screw this up'

Sure enough they did, my blood pressure remained stable and the cardiologist didn't need to be bleeped... try it folks - it actually works!
Old 16.11.2010, 06:21 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsman View Post
One super bowl win and 9 years of misery? Does that make the team waaaaay overdue!!? :0p

Yeah Matt that blog was good and some interesting places in Cincinnati I haven't been so will use that info when I hopefully go next autumn.
I'm pretty damn glad I didn't go to Cincinnati this year, if I was not going to go one season then this would be it so my condolences on witnessing yet another Bengal travesty. On the flip side no matter how bad your team plays its ALWAYS good to be there.
Its kinda weird but when I'm there in PBS I just feel I fit, that little cold shiver down your neck as Welcome to the Jungle is played as the players hit the field and the fact that me wearing orange and black is 'normal' behaviour! I can talk to people about the Bengals and the NFL and speak to them for hours and they never have that 'I'm bored look' that my missus has after 3-4 seconds of me wittering on.
Alls good now. I have retracted into my 'Bengals are crap' way of viewing the games like I used to at the back end of the nineties and early noughties. Its less painful that way. This week my mate came round and we watched the game live again on gamepass. When the Bengals started to come back and do their usual 'teasing' that they always do that used to make me sit on the edge of my seat... well.... that didn't happen on sunday night...simply I said to my mate 'don't be decieved mate, keep watching and you'll see them stuff it all up...I don't know how but somehow, in some way they will screw this up'

Sure enough they did, my blood pressure remained stable and the cardiologist didn't need to be bleeped... try it folks - it actually works!
Yeah that's how I watch the games as well!

I was going to head over for the Ravens game, gutted I missed that one! Will try to get over next year though...
Old 16.11.2010, 10:38 PM
Rookie

I agree with this strategy for watching (listening on online radio) to games.- was really sweating watching the Steelers game but strangely calm on Sunday. Definitely the 'long suffering Bengals fan' factor has stormed back into my psyche and the evil that is optimism has finally left my soul. Welcome back to the proper feelings of Bengaldom and able to laugh again at times (nearly pee'd myself after the post onside kick fumble.
Only thing I'm really disappointed about is that there's now less reason to be interested in other games - would be looking at other results to help with an unlikely wild card spot - always want NFC teams to beat AFC teams, etc.
Old 17.11.2010, 05:35 PM
Rookie

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated, should have another blog up tomorrow at some point. Will keep you posted.
There is definitely something in this "always expect the worst" method - it really is better for your health. Even when we recovered the onside kick on Sunday, me and my mate just looked at each other and said "That was great but there's no way we'll win." Sure enough the inevitable fumble occured on the next play.
Mike Brown is always going to be a contentious figure and I'm just glad I'm not a Cincinnati taxpayer because the stadium deal had very little benefit anyone in the city - aside the Bengals.
I guess its true though that without Mikey boy I probably wouldn't be a Bengals fan as I'd have just picked another underdog side. I'm not sure whether I have to thank him or hate him for that.
The big problem is there just isn't the appetite for change in Cincinnati. There will always be enough people paying in (myself included - though I have sworn last week will be my last trip - I haven't bought any Bengals merchandise for two years including refreshments in the stadium and I generally feel a bit of a plank for helping to line Brown's pockets once again) There just isn't the pressure on Mike to change.

This is a great article from Paul Daugherty of the Cincinnati Enquirer and pretty much sums the situation up. Be warned its depressing but all too truthful reading -
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...eref=si_latest
Old 18.11.2010, 04:35 PM
Rookie

Hello again.

Post-Indy blog can be read here - http://www.halesowennews.co.uk/sport...you_re_fired_/

Regards,

Matt