Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 178 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 31.05.2008, 12:23 PM
All Pro

Default Re:Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread

Hester is the key on O next year, some screens maybe and in the slot, get the ball in his hands and start blocking........Clark or Olsen williams etc make some gaps.....
Old 31.05.2008, 12:36 PM
All Pro

[quote author=Jerome Neil link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1755#msg902591 date=1212233524]
[quote author=eatme link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1755#msg902588 date=1212232748]
His playbook is far too simple. You can have a pretty good guess of what play is coming up next and if the fans can do it i'm pretty sure Ray Lewis can realise whats going on.

Hopefully we will do some more interesting things next season and use Wolfe properly to actually give the guy a chance.
[/quote]

And how exactly would you like Wolfe to be used, then?
[/quote]

Well by not running him up the middle against 8in the box like he was last year possibly? He made some big plays last year. He is not really a RB but is a good utility player who can make some big gains.

Old 31.05.2008, 02:43 PM
Pro

at the risk of being on the end of a barrage of replies, i,m gonna make comment on olig23s post re grossman and co.

i honestly think that rex aint all bad, one thing he needs badly is protection in the pocket, if he got that and the time other QBs get then i don,t feel he would make stupid mistakes, think about it for a moment, you are on the line and you don,t have confidance in the guys around you, you are gonna want to get the ball and get the hell outta there FAST, this is why he fumbles the snap sometimes, i think. (discuss)?

also you made comment that brady was cool under pressure, i disagree. one major fact on this one is SB XXII. Giants D gave him hell that day and he......well i wont say choked but not far from it, as his confidace in the guys around him fell BIG TIME. he was getting it from all over the place because the Giants D just seemed to take route one, straight at him, they didn,t give him the time he had gotten used to, he had to think and act a lot faster than usual and failed.

hope this makes sense and look forward to any come back
Old 31.05.2008, 03:06 PM
All Pro

[quote author=papabear link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1770#msg902647 date=1212245011]
at the risk of being on the end of a barrage of replies, i,m gonna make comment on olig23s post re grossman and co.

i honestly think that rex aint all bad, one thing he needs badly is protection in the pocket, if he got that and the time other QBs get then i don,t feel he would make stupid mistakes, think about it for a moment, you are on the line and you don,t have confidance in the guys around you, you are gonna want to get the ball and get the hell outta there FAST, this is why he fumbles the snap sometimes, i think. (discuss)?

also you made comment that brady was cool under pressure, i disagree. one major fact on this one is SB XXII. Giants D gave him hell that day and he......well i wont say choked but not far from it, as his confidace in the guys around him fell BIG TIME. he was getting it from all over the place because the Giants D just seemed to take route one, straight at him, they didn,t give him the time he had gotten used to, he had to think and act a lot faster than usual and failed.

[/quote]

I think that during the SB Brady showed what a QB he really was, it doesn't matter whether he lost the game, but he had very little pass protection and was constantly getting battered and yet he still put in a great performance IMO.

Brady didn't choke at all, the Giants D just stepped up BIG TIME.

Atleast, that's how I see it.

Saying he choked takes away from what the Giants did, I believe.
Old 31.05.2008, 03:15 PM
All Pro

Makes sense. He will alwasys make some poor decisions. He looks good if he has time but what makes a good QB is how they deal with pressure. Rex runs a mile sadly.

If we had a good Oline then i would be more than happy with him, but our guards are crap. He will continue to improve imo but our line wont help.

I still hate the way we signed him to a 1yr contract.
Old 31.05.2008, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

[quote author=papabear link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1770#msg902647 date=1212245011]

[/quote]

I think it would be unfair to Brady to judge him purely on the Superbowl. I don't think there was much he could have done anyway because the Pats O-line had a very poor game. Also, the pass rush from New York was top notch as it was all year.

I don't think you can lead at team to 18-1 and be bad under pressure nor can you have the record he does in the playoffs and other big games against teams like Indy by bottling it. In referance to Rex I think the tow are worlds apart in every way except maybe their arm. In the end this goes back to my earlier comment regarding QBs being closer in reality than perception sometimes suggests. Most QBs can make the throws but the great one have that intangilble quality, leadership, preparation and the ability to do it when it counts.
Old 31.05.2008, 06:11 PM
Pro

[quote author=olig23 link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1770#msg902703 date=1212256721]

[/quote]

I think it would be unfair to Brady to judge him purely on the Superbowl. I don't think there was much he could have done anyway because the Pats O-line had a very poor game. Also, the pass rush from New York was top notch as it was all year.

I don't think you can lead at team to 18-1 and be bad under pressure nor can you have the record he does in the playoffs and other big games against teams like Indy by bottling it. In referance to Rex I think the tow are worlds apart in every way except maybe their arm. In the end this goes back to my earlier comment regarding QBs being closer in reality than perception sometimes suggests. Most QBs can make the throws but the great one have that intangilble quality, leadership, preparation and the ability to do it when it counts.
[/quote]

yeah, i take on board what you are saying, but, it seemed to me that throughout the regular season the oppasition seemed to be (for the want of a better expression) intimidated by the Pats O, whereas the Giants took the game to them and had great success.

i,m not saying that Brady choked i will alway stop short of that, but after he had enjoyed the protection of the line all year i just seemed that imo he was overwhelmed with the attack of the Gs.
Old 31.05.2008, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

[quote author=papabear link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1770#msg902711 date=1212257486]
[quote author=olig23 link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1770#msg902703 date=1212256721]

[/quote]

[/quote]

yeah, i take on board what you are saying, but, it seemed to me that throughout the regular season the oppasition seemed to be (for the want of a better expression) intimidated by the Pats O, whereas the Giants took the game to them and had great success.

i,m not saying that Brady choked i will alway stop short of that, but after he had enjoyed the protection of the line all year i just seemed that imo he was overwhelmed with the attack of the Gs.
[/quote]

I think perhaps Brady didn't have is best game in the Superbowl and the Giants certainly were able to pressurize Brady more than other teams were able to. However, Matt Light by his own admission had one of the worst games of his career as did Nick Kazcur at right tackle. As for Brady I think he knows his mental clock to get the ball out ad the Giants simply shortened that window. If I was to aim any critisism other than towards the O-line it would be to the coaching staff. I felt that had they started using two step drops and hitting Welker and Graham for short gains that would have changed the game. However, they were still looking for those deep bombs to Moss who was frequently triple covered.

I partly agree with your statement of teams giving the Pats too much respect. I feel that after they beat Indy many teams were beaten before stepping on the field because they thought they had no chance. However, in the early part of the year the Pats and especially Moss and Welker shocked teams with just how good they were and were legit awesome.

Nonetheless, do I think that the Pats will emulate last season? No. Why? Because Moss will get too much attention and Stallworth is now gone and what the Pats did so well last year was stretch the field sending Moss or Stallworth or both on deep routes, pushing back the secondary if neither of those were open then hit Welker or Graham underneath in acres of space. Losing Stallworth will have an impact they perhaps could use a healthy Chad Jackson to step up and play a similar role. The easiest way to beat the Pats is to put pressre on the QB since they want to stretch the field that mans each play takes time to develop thus by getting a good rush you force them out of their comfort zone. However, you can't blitz either since Brady is extemely good at being calm and hitting the short routes and Beliheck just adjusts. So, you must get a great rush from your front 4/5 and who had the best 4 man rush last season, New York. Even then they were tough to beat. I don't see them going 16-0 but maybe 14-2 or 13-3
Old 02.06.2008, 10:37 AM
All Pro

History is rose tinted. Every great QB has had bad games.

The Pats under performed the Giants over achieved.

On the subject of quality QBs being in short supply these days, I think maybe it can be put down to all round better athletes on defense in particular faster pass rush and D-backs. Could some of the best players in history cut today?
Old 02.06.2008, 03:13 PM
All Pro

[quote author=payton3434 link=board=1;threadid=5453;start=1770#msg903317 date=1212403075] Could some of the best players in history cut today?
[/quote]
That could be said for any sport. Better diet, supplements, training methods etc all would render past athletes almost obsolete compared to many nowadays.
However, how good some would have been with todays developments and improvements? Who knows....