Premier League Thread - Page 11 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 17.09.2008, 05:57 PM
All Pro

Default Re:Premiership Thread

Its not even so much that Terry plays for a top 4 team, but that he is the England captain, you can't have the England captain getting sent off. The FA is a complete joke.
Old 17.09.2008, 06:12 PM
Hall of Fame

If it wasnt a professional foul, why wouldnt they overturn it?

There was clearly a defender in the way even if he had gone past Terry.

Old 17.09.2008, 07:25 PM
All Pro

[quote author=vann_mcelroy link=board=23;threadid=35053;start=90#msg955966 date=1221675159]

[/quote]

He was sent off for serious foul play. Because of that, the fact there was a defender after Terry doesn't matter. Disgraceful it was overturned.
Old 17.09.2008, 09:06 PM
All Pro

[quote author=49ers Morgan link=board=23;threadid=35053;start=90#msg956048 date=1221679520]
[quote author=vann_mcelroy link=board=23;threadid=35053;start=90#msg955966 date=1221675159]

[/quote]

He was sent off for serious foul play. Because of that, the fact there was a defender after Terry doesn't matter. Disgraceful it was overturned.
[/quote]

If you believe Alex Ferguson, the referee (Mark Halsey) refused to rescind the red card and so Keith Hackett has demoted him to referee a League Two fixture. The decision was then overturned by the Professional Game Match Officials Board, which Hackett heads.
Old 18.09.2008, 07:44 AM
MVP

I don't see the fuss myself, it was a terrible decision to give a red card in the first place. If we have the opportunity to correct very poor decisions made by referees I'm all for it.

Vidic on the other hand should have been sent off.
Old 18.09.2008, 08:58 AM
All Pro

[quote author=Paddy link=board=23;threadid=35053;start=90#msg956359 date=1221723845]
I don't see the fuss myself, it was a terrible decision to give a red card in the first place. If we have the opportunity to correct very poor decisions made by referees I'm all for it.

Vidic on the other hand should have been sent off.
[/quote]

I thought at the time Vidic's sending off was harsh, but that was the heat of the battle againt our biggest rivals. After watching it back a couple of times i can see that it was clumsy, rash and although he never took his eye off the ball it deserved the second yellow and therefore the red!
However I applauded Mark Halsey when he sent off JT, mainly because to me the definition of a professional foul is making no attempt to play the ball and committing a deliberate foul on an opponent....which is what Terry did!
I don't care if Carvalho was covering or not because 1) thats not why he was sent off AND 2) do we really think Carvalho was going to outpace Jo??

Players commit these dirty cynical fouls knowing they'll get away with a booking, they need to be punished further! Anyone for sin-bins in football??

Also this protection of Terry and Gerrard needs to stop, its ridiculous how they get praised so highly and the bad things get ignored. Interesting also to see the same people on here that were giving Scholesy hell 2 weeks ago for "cheating and being unsportmanlike" are now defending John Terry.....pathetic
Old 18.09.2008, 09:47 AM
MVP

Guess that's where the opinion comes into it, I couldn't see anything malicious in Terry's challenge. Sure it was clumsy, but I don't think it warranted anything more than a booking.

You want malicious, Danny Guthrie's fouls (both of them) on Craig Fagan were two of the most horrific challenges I've ever seen a professional footballer attempt. That's exactly the kind of thing that should be reviewed in order to hand out further punishments, ie extended-bans or fines. Or in Guthrie's case, both.
Old 18.09.2008, 10:07 AM
All Pro

Well no I don't think Terry's challenge was malicious either, he certainly never intended to hurt the guy! However it was a deliberate foul aimed at nothing by stopping the player progressing......perhaps its a pet peeve of mine?!

But i'm with you on the Guthrie one, the second one especially was just a kick that was preceeded by a 60yd run up. Should have got a 5 game ban in my opinion.
In fact i've always said that on occasions like this where it was a reckless, intentionally violent tackle the player should be banned for the length of the injury that he has caused.
Hull have lost one of their more promising players, yet Guthrie will be back playing 6-8 weeks before Fagan will
Old 18.09.2008, 01:13 PM
Team Captain

I hate this arguement that Carvalho would of caught Jo (as good as Carvalho is) he was coming in at a side angle so Jo just had to keep going forward. Terry couldnt go for the ball so went for the man. Yes is wasnt agrressive in a sense of violence but it was a red as he was the last man as stopped Jo illegally.

Guthrie however should be banned for as long as Fagan is out. Yes extreme but if a player get can a year ban for spitting at a referee then a player should get a long ban for tackles like Guthries.
Old 18.09.2008, 03:30 PM
All Pro

I've only just seen the Terry challenge. Now Terry is a ****, but that's never a red card.

Standardly.

As much intent as there was I don't think it can honestly be said he stopped a goalscoring chance, and it was one of those tackles players make all the time knowing they're getting a yellow to slow the opposition down.