Minnesota Vikings thread (Kings of the NFC NORSE) - Page 503 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Minnesota Vikings

Old 08.09.2013, 08:39 PM
Pro

Unhappy

well... that was a poor game

Except Smith and Simpson, there wasn't much to feel good about in my opinion. AP didn't have a great game (even though he got 3 TD's)

Ponder obviously had a bad game. Wasn't too impressed by Locke on his first game either but i'll give him a few more games to see if he was worthy of the 5th round pick.

What are your thoughts? Will we be 0-3 come Wembley? I hope not
Old 08.09.2013, 09:22 PM
All Pro

bah, make the QB an open position between the 3 current QBs. The team will not go any further until that position is sorted out.

But, both sides of the line looked bad, the secondary was disorganized and ineffective.
On a positive note, the WRs played well, Walsh continues to be solid, and Adrian is healthy.
We gotta get some new offensive schemes going as well. I couldn't tell exactly what the Vikings were trying to do there with the offense-- some kind of dysfunctional West Coast variation??
Old 08.09.2013, 10:34 PM
MVP

is it bad that all other teams are just lookin better to me right now?

i watch the other games and all the other teams seem to play faster and harder than the vikings. I dont know what to think of tonights game other than crap
Old 09.09.2013, 11:44 AM
All Pro

O.K. its not the preseason anymore so what excuses are we going to hear about the debacle that we witnessed yesterday ? Current roster is not good enough to play an NFL season and be competitive ( Letroy Guion. Charlie Johnson, Brandon Fusco, Marvin Mitchell, Jamarca Sanford and Christian Ponder would all struggle to hold down starting jobs in the Arena league, Spielman has some strange ideas about assessing talent and putting a roster together.

Yesterdays sloppy, unprepared performace was the exact reason why Frasier did not get his contract extended. His ohwell attitude continually bashing the same drum that there is a half of football left to play or that the season is played over sixteen games will not wash any longer, this thing has dragged on for far too long. Last season when a perfect storm carried the Vikings to a win/loss record that ultimately flattered to deceive is no yardstick with which to measure the current state of the franchise.

It was no mystery that the Lions would use running backs in the short/intermediate passing game, they did it fairly successfully against the Vikings cover 2 defense last season also, so why did the Vikings defense look so unprepared to defend it.

Why does Musgrave continually put the Vikings quarterbacks in a position where they have no chance of succeeding, Joe Webb is no NFL calibre starting quarterback, we all know that but he was hung out to dry by Musgrave in the playoff loss to Green Bay last season. How many time did Musgrave call a run on first down yesterday only for the Lions with at least eight men in the box stop Peterson behind the line of scrimmage setting up a second and 11 or second and 13. Ponder with his limited skillset behind a porous offensive line will never succeed in those kind of situations, neither will Matt Cassel nor half the other starting quarterbacks in the league. You can pass on first down, most of the better offenses in the league do so and then go on to reap the rewards by forcing offenses out of stacking the box.

For what it was worth Kyle Rudolph was the Pro Bowl MVP, at least throw the ball in his direction more than once or twice and see if he can make plays in a real game. We are beginning to realise that without any question Ponder is not the future of this team at quarterback but neither are this coaching staff nor the G.M. This is likely the least difficult road game the Vikings will face this season and the final scoreline could have been a lot worse, this is going to be a long season and the sooner its over the better.

Yeah I know its a knee jerk reaction, I've heard it before.

Last edited by Hannibal; 09.09.2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09.09.2013, 01:14 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
O.K. its not the preseason anymore so what excuses are we going to hear about the debacle that we witnessed yesterday ? Current roster is not good enough to play an NFL season and be competitive ( Letroy Guion. Charlie Johnson, Brandon Fusco, Marvin Mitchell, Jamarca Sanford and Christian Ponder would all struggle to hold down starting jobs in the Arena league, Spielman has some strange ideas about assessing talent and putting a roster together.

Yesterdays sloppy, unprepared performace was the exact reason why Frasier did not get his contract extended. His ohwell attitude continually bashing the same drum that there is a half of football left to play or that the season is played over sixteen games will not wash any longer, this thing has dragged on for far too long. Last season when a perfect storm carried the Vikings to a win/loss record that ultimately flattered to deceive is no yardstick with which to measure the current state of the franchise.

It was no mystery that the Lions would use running backs in the short/intermediate passing game, they did it fairly successfully against the Vikings cover 2 defense last season also, so why did the Vikings defense look so unprepared to defend it.

Why does Musgrave continually put the Vikings quarterbacks in a position where they have no chance of succeeding, Joe Webb is no NFL calibre starting quarterback, we all know that but he was hung out to dry by Musgrave in the playoff loss to Green Bay last season. How many time did Musgrave call a run on first down yesterday only for the Lions with at least eight men in the box stop Peterson behind the line of scrimmage setting up a second and 11 or second and 13. Ponder with his limited skillset behind a porous offensive line will never succeed in those kind of situations, neither will Matt Cassel nor half the other starting quarterbacks in the league. You can pass on first down, most of the better offenses in the league do so and then go on to reap the rewards by forcing offenses out of stacking the box.

For what it was worth Kyle Rudolph was the Pro Bowl MVP, at least throw the ball in his direction more than once or twice and see if he can make plays in a real game. We are beginning to realise that without any question Ponder is not the future of this team at quarterback but neither are this coaching staff nor the G.M. This is likely the least difficult road game the Vikings will face this season and the final scoreline could have been a lot worse, this is going to be a long season and the sooner its over the better.

Here we are again, same issues as always, we have a QB who is only a quarter of the value of any other in the league and I am firmly on the bash Ponder bandwagon. He has to go until he's watched enough film and learned enough from those films that he can actually play the game or in other words NEVER.

The O line were manhandled by a poor D line and I think they are better than that but it must be hard to get motivated behind a useless QB.

AP great run and then 17 yards the rest of the game

A long season indeed, it's time to bite the bullet and go balls out for the best QB in the draft next year, fire Musgrave and Frasier and try again
Old 09.09.2013, 06:52 PM
Rookie

we were completely dominated y'day and i think its time to go for a Qb next year unless ponder can lead us to a championship game which will likely not happen,long season ahead if teams are going to come stop ap because thats our only threat at the moment because ponder simply cant throw and i think its time to fire the oc,fraizer is ok to me but the offensive coordinator is terrible
Old 09.09.2013, 10:23 PM
All Pro

Vikings have reached injury settlements with defensive end D'Andre Reed and offensive guard Seth Olsen and they will now be let go from I.R. and will essentially be street free agents able to sign with any other team.

In what can only be described as a move of utter desperation the Vikings are reported to be going to work out former Detroit defensive tackle Andre Fluellen tomorrow.
Old 09.09.2013, 11:01 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Vikings have reached injury settlements with defensive end D'Andre Reed and offensive guard Seth Olsen and they will now be let go from I.R. and will essentially be street free agents able to sign with any other team.

In what can only be described as a move of utter desperation the Vikings are reported to be going to work out former Detroit defensive tackle Andre Fluellen tomorrow.
Hows his deep ball?
Old 09.09.2013, 11:16 PM
All Pro

Quote:

Wanted conpertent QB who can give hope to Minnesota Viking fans....

Knee Jeck reaction............thats fine by me Ponder was rubbish, but that oline was worse, whats happened to Kalil? a Sophomore slump?.....Our whole O'Line sucked welcome back to the 2011 Vikings oline....They were totally dominated by the Lions front 4 all day long, now I've never been in the Ponder camp, but I don't think Cassel is a better option. Ponder didn't play well yesterday, but a lot of that is on our Oline, I would give Ponder the season, I'd rather roll with Ponder every game and go 3-13 or 4-12 than go 6-10 with Cassell, because It will be all about next April at this point, but that's yet another wasted season with one of the greatest RBs of all time, the Vikings Barry Sanders....... as AP run that first play my mind raced back to that 1st play in 2011, Percy's return TD at SD and all that preseason optimism did not feel quite right anymore, call it a flashback if you will and suddenly I had a bad feeling about 2013..... its rare for me to be positive about the Purple, to many years of being kicked in the nuts, for just once I hoped Ponder could get it and with the new players added we could be a force once again, and go 11-5, I kept saying peseason means nothing, and we will see what the OC has when he opens up the playbook, what F@C@ing playbook! Musgrave is bland and that is because Ponder can not make the plays, Musgrave didn't draft Ponder, but I think he lacks imagination and hell, we need all the imagination we can get to get this team moving the chains....... so after 25 mins of watching the game, all that preseason hope was gone, it looks like preseaon was a precursor to yet another bad season 11-5 more like 5-11.

As you say the current roster is not good enough, well two drafts could never fix this team, it takes time, Speilman is the biggest part of the problem, looking at the last 2 draft classes, The much heraled 2012 class is starting to show weakness already. Rhett Ellison is largely a limited role player already. Josh Robinson has question marks. Jarius Wright is a 4th option already. Robert Blanton is safely listed as a #3 on the depth chart, that Ponder Pick could keep us in the basement for some time yet.
Just look at the box scores yesterday, you had Kaepernick, Rodgers, Dalton, the Mannings, Brees, Ryan, Wilson, Luck all putting up good numbers what do we have? a good QB makes a bad team better, remember 2009, Brett made this roster look like superstars, we lose to the Bears the pressure to get Ponder out is going to build, not sure I want to see much more of him myself. cause its here we go again time.

And you cannot put all this loss on the defense which was on the field for way too long in that game. mind you did we have any LBs out there? Look at the amount of plays the Lions had. I lost count of the number of 3 and outs we had, we need a QB who can move the Fing chains, thats why they got Jennings for those 3rd and 7s, if the Ds going to have a hope, it needs the O to sustain a drive more then once a game. I need a drink already..... #Faith I've lost mine

Last edited by theinsider; 09.09.2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10.09.2013, 08:39 AM
All Pro

Christain Ponder was never as good as his draft position suggested but if he had been handled correctly when he first got into the league it should have been possible to develop him into at worst an average NFL quarterback.
Now I am not suggesting he would have gotten to the same level as Aaron Rodgers but had he been allowed to sit and watch/listen while a quality veteran drove the bus he likely would have been much farther down the development and execution line than he is right now.

Look at his situation, sat behind a fat, lazy, non studious quarterback who likely gave him zero help/advice, except on how to get free fast food, He had a quarterback coach with no real pedigree or track record of developing quarterbacks. Was put behind an offensive line that was even worse in pass blocking than it is now and almost got him killed on a weekly basis. And just to top things off he got introduced into an offensive system that many observers around the league recognise would struggle to be effective at the High school level.Recognized as being one of the most NFL ready quarterbacks of his draft class he was however still several years away from being ready to start in the NFL when he got to the Vikings, there is no doubt in my mind he got pushed into a role he was far from ready for.

He was doomed from the minute offensive genius Leslie Frasier decided he wanted McNabb as his starting quarterback when people all around the league were shouting no don't do it he went ahead and did it, brought in a washed up, delusional, egomaniac into the organisation and we are still paying for that today.

Trouble with the current front office / coaches is they never believe they are wrong and they won't accept responsibility for the things that are going wrong, it has been noted that there is a major failure in accountability around the team. Just watch a Frasier post game presser and its all about we know what went wrong and we are going to put it right for the next game, that next game however never arrives. The people responsible for the offensive failings of this team have not been held accountable ever since Leslie Frasier has been the head coach and likely never will be because he is Mr. Niceguy.