Bengals - What do we do now ? - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cincinnati Bengals

Old 14.10.2010, 12:22 PM
All Pro

Anyone who has even seen Jodan Palmer play in pre-season knows he is only on an NFL team full stop because of his Brother. The guy is complete trash as a QB so lets not even go down that route.
Old 14.10.2010, 06:48 PM
MVP

Pleased to see that Ocho will practiscing hard on his............trash talk!!??

What an idiot! How about brushing up on your catching doofus! Carson has been taking some serious heat but that last throw looked on the numbers to me. Yeah you can have a go at Palmer or Brat for that play but in the end it was Stinko that coughed up that last TD.

The great Batman snd Robin (that died a death didnt it) have made some yards but dropped the big catches, and most of them wern't that hard.
Old 14.10.2010, 09:30 PM
All Pro

Bengalblueboy. Sorry mate I wasn't basing my opinion of the co-ords or coaching on this year...rather than their 'body of work' since they've been in Cinnati. One good year from a off co-ord is NOT good enough considering the talent he has had at his fingertips.
STILL ironing out penalties??? These penalties were happening LAST season. If you can't solve them in over a seasons worth of play, an off season and post season then you HAVE to ask 'is the coaching really getting through????

As for JJordan palmer...yeah i have seen every game this year and the pre-season. JP had a minimum amount of snaps in pre season and made some silly mistakes...but what I liked was that every game he played he learned and got better ...to the point where in the last game some of the passes he threw were pin point accurate. I personally think he's got potential, it just needs nurturing. I'm not saying he's ever going to be the next Tom Brady...but I don't think he's as bad as some people on this forum seem to believe.
Old 14.10.2010, 09:37 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsman View Post
Bengalblueboy. Sorry mate I wasn't basing my opinion of the co-ords or coaching on this year...rather than their 'body of work' since they've been in Cinnati. One good year from a off co-ord is NOT good enough considering the talent he has had at his fingertips.
STILL ironing out penalties??? These penalties were happening LAST season. If you can't solve them in over a seasons worth of play, an off season and post season then you HAVE to ask 'is the coaching really getting through????

As for JJordan palmer...yeah i have seen every game this year and the pre-season. JP had a minimum amount of snaps in pre season and made some silly mistakes...but what I liked was that every game he played he learned and got better ...to the point where in the last game some of the passes he threw were pin point accurate. I personally think he's got potential, it just needs nurturing. I'm not saying he's ever going to be the next Tom Brady...but I don't think he's as bad as some people on this forum seem to believe.

Can he lead us to the playoffs? If not get rid. If we're a serious franchise and want to challenge regularly we need a tight QB, especially as we play in the AFC North.

If we dump Palmer then we need to dump his kid brother, who lets be frank here, is nowhere near as good as Carson or he'd be starting somewhere.

There's no one out there to trade for so it has to be in the draft. We NEVER trade up or down so dont hold your breath and expect us to take a top QB in any draft soon.

Mediocrity is on the menu in Cincy for years to come.
Old 14.10.2010, 10:20 PM
All Pro

I genuinely think that the Bengals could end up with a top three pick in the draft anyway... definately top five as I can't see them winning anymore than one or two more games this season. However I don't want them to take a QB with that pick. Trading down might be the way to go or going for a marquee pass rusher in the draft then going for a QB, like I said, in round 3 to develop.
Old 15.10.2010, 10:12 AM
ErenMus

wow, it seems like there is such hatred for Carson Palmer when we all know if we could pick a QB to trade him with there isn't ANYONE better than him. Kolb? really??? wow they guy has started 5 times and hasn't done bugger all.
apart from two interceptions this year, none have been Carson's fault, the ones which were both taken for 6. so many drops by are so called 'talented WR core' and the most crap play calling i've ever seen, and if I was a OC I would have had more imagination.
people have to realise that the Bengal's don't want to go through a transition period again, if we draft another franchise QB the Bengal's will be playoff-less for another 10 years because things take time.
i am by no means Carson's number one fan, but he's still better than most QBs in the league and he's getting the blame for most things, I have watched all the games so far this season and im disappointed at how we have become more of a pass first team (just not a very good one)

Marvin shouldn't go anywhere because who would the new HC be? Zimmer might be a good one but i think he is a much better DC
What I want to see happen is:

- Brat fired right now.
- the no huddle to be used until then
- T.O, Ocho and the rest practising how to catch balls that any high school player can catch.
- The next first round draft pick to be a guard, or any good player on the O-line
- Andre smith to play more snaps because he is getting better and better by each game, he just needs to keep losing weight.
- improved special teams play, what happened to all those HUGE returns.

i needed to speak what was on my mind, because i really cant believe the mass amount of bengal's fans that dislike Carson Palmer so much.
Bengaldom needs to stay faithful we have to believe WHO DEY!

Last edited by ErenMus; 15.10.2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 15.10.2010, 11:45 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErenMus View Post
wow, it seems like there is such hatred for Carson Palmer when we all know if we could pick a QB to trade him with there isn't ANYONE better than him. Kolb? really??? wow they guy has started 5 times and hasn't done bugger all.
apart from two interceptions this year, none have been Carson's fault, the ones which were both taken for 6. so many drops by are so called 'talented WR core' and the most crap play calling i've ever seen, and if I was a OC I would have had more imagination.
people have to realise that the Bengal's don't want to go through a transition period again, if we draft another franchise QB the Bengal's will be playoff-less for another 10 years because things take time.
i am by no means Carson's number one fan, but he's still better than most QBs in the league and he's getting the blame for most things, I have watched all the games so far this season and im disappointed at how we have become more of a pass first team (just not a very good one)

Marvin shouldn't go anywhere because who would the new HC be? Zimmer might be a good one but i think he is a much better DC
What I want to see happen is:

- Brat fired right now.
- the no huddle to be used until then
- T.O, Ocho and the rest practising how to catch balls that any high school player can catch.
- The next first round draft pick to be a guard, or any good player on the O-line
- Andre smith to play more snaps because he is getting better and better by each game, he just needs to keep losing weight.
- improved special teams play, what happened to all those HUGE returns.

i needed to speak what was on my mind, because i really cant believe the mass amount of bengal's fans that dislike Carson Palmer so much.
Bengaldom needs to stay faithful we have to believe WHO DEY!
As much as I admire your faith, I can't help but believe what I have seen.

Plus, I don't think anyone hates the guy, if they do they are idiots. We all appreciate that he has helped us to some good years, but the time has come when he can't take us any further. It's a simple football thing- he's not good enough to lead us to where we should be right now.
Old 15.10.2010, 11:57 AM
Team Captain

Agree mostly with Erenmus.There is no viable option to CP who can still lead us to a winning season.To see him get booed after passing 20k passing yards is a bit sad regardless of the frustration it is borne out of.Drops,penalties and,lets face it - an O-Line which looks at best serviceable(particularly in pass protection) - are making it very difficult for the QB , who is still posting improved numbers on last year.We will get better with CP , worse without him.
Still think too early to fire Brat for many of the above reasons.He's got to scheme for an O Line which is a bit of a let down so far.Give it a couple more games ( I know- how many seasons do you give him?) lets see if he gets the balance right (more runs definitely necessary with this line).
Finally-not so sure about Andre Smith-watch him quite closely when he comes in and he is a bit good play/bad play at present-looks particularly susceptible to anyting other than a bull-rush in pass pprotection.May be Bobbie Williams replacement rather than a tackle of the future-we'll see, but I've definitely seen CP startled on a number of occasions at how quick the DE's are on him.
Old 15.10.2010, 07:14 PM
All Pro

Hate Palmer??? Don't be so ridiculous. Why should I hate him??

I'm just saying they might need a change of QB. I would prefer to get rid of Prat-kowski and bring in a QB orientated Off co-ord who can instill confidence in him and perhaps bring out the best in him IF POSSIBLE. I am in no doubt that 10 years in Prat's offense have been next to wasted and the system is tired...he needs motivating.
I'd like to try him in a new system before they give up on him....

I've been watching André Smith each week and I keep seeing him blow protection. The only thing he isn't doing right now is making penalties....

I think the Bengals have gone pass happy cos the OL isn't opening as many running lanes as they'd hoped. It wasn't till the second half they finally got it together for Benson to make some nice runs against the Buccs.
Old 15.10.2010, 07:21 PM
MVP

Having had almost a week to digest whats gone on (and calm down, plus now posting while sober) plus read through the differing points everyone has made I think that maybe the Carson bashing may, just may be a lttle unfair.

To start with the penalties have made us the sloppiest team in the league.

I also think we rank 1st in dropped catches.

Carson has to take a smallish percentage of the blame with some of his errant throwing and his lack of manoeuvrability when trying to scramble out of the pocket.

But in all honesty he always looks rushed when passing, never relaxed and the O line have to make a far better effort to protect him.

Brats play calling seems to have no rhyme or reason to it which also doesn't help. Its like we suddenly have all these weapons in the pass game now that he has completely forgotten the run game. He calls a run on 1st down, it makes 2 or 3 yards then suddenly its pass pass punt! The running game has almost become apologetic.

We need to run run and run some more and really establish it so we can then torch the opposing D with the big plays with Ocho & TO or through the middle with Gresham & Shipley, which imo Carson is a master at.

The reason we struggles at the end of last years is that we couldn't expect to run the ball for a whole game so had to pass now and then but had no one to threaten. Now we have, but we are tyring to be 2005 again and that just isn't going to work!

My diagnosis is run Benson, run Scott, then torch them with the play action!

And please...........NO MORE SHOTGUN ON 3RD DOWNS!!!

Last edited by Bretts; 15.10.2010 at 07:47 PM.