Bengals state of the franchise - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cincinnati Bengals

Old 18.06.2011, 12:13 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde203 View Post
Rather interestingly on the tight ends, reading a Pro Football Focus article regarding pass blocking efficiency, Jermaine Gresham was in on 70 pass blocking snaps in 2010, and gave up 4 pressures (ranking 14th in the league in terms of pass blocking efficiency). Reggie Kelly was in on 78 and gave up 5, a worse performance.

In fact, in the previous three years, Kelly ranks 15th in these terms, so 2010 was a particularly poor year for him if you go by these stats......
Proves that Gresham is not one dimensional!
Old 19.06.2011, 03:59 PM
Starter

Our O-Line wasn't great last year at run blocking..so for Gresham to be amazing at blocking would be shocking, I thought he did a good job..in a west coast offence though, Gresham will be utilized properly..down the field plays one on one against Safety's..now that I like the sound of!
Old 19.06.2011, 04:58 PM
Pro

1. Get Carson out - Personally I like Palmer he was the reason I began following the Bengals after his timeat USC but why have people here that don't want to be.

2. Resign JJ - Him and Leon Hall are one of the best tandems if not the best in the league when fully healthy. If we want to win again they will be a key part along with point 3.

3. Shore up the safety position - I know we drafted Sands but it'll be a few years until he's at starting level at least espiecally with the lockout.

3a. Michael Johnson and Carlos Dunlap - Give these two guys more snaps on either side of our D-Line.

3b. Dontay Moch - How quick is this dude, going to love him in Madden 12.

4. Decide what we're going to do with 85 - I used too be/still am a fan of his, but please please do not let him become a distraction anymore. Take five minutes sit down with him ask him what he wants to happen GO or STAY.

5. Utilize ALL offensive weapons - Know I know early in the season it was the TOCHO show but when they both went out things began clicking again offensively i.e one Jerome Simpson.

Bernard Scott I feel will have a big impact on our season in the West Coast as will Gresham, Shipley, A.J, Caldwell, Simpson even Coffman. (Almost passed out over the talent at receiver.)

6. Sign a FA QB - This is where I am not 100% because I like Dalton, I just feel he'll be in a better situation learning for a while now. Don't get me wrong I think he can be our future much like McCoy in neighbouring Cleveland but if he is going to be our starter then short, quick passing then the occasional high ball for A.J or Jerome.

After all isn't that the way New England do it and their record speaks for itself.

I think we still need a QB incase Carson does go and we're left with his brother while grooming Dalton.

Finally this should really be higher up but

See if we can prize away Marshal Yanda from Baltimore - I need no explanation here. We need new blood on the O-Line while Boling is learning.

Look guys some of that you may not agree with I not multi award winning sports writer but I just wanted to add my input.

Of course we could bare one more losing season get the first pick then depending on how Dalton's doing either select Andrew Luck or trade the pick to a team desperate for a franchise QB and enjoy ALL those extra picks.

Thanks for reading fellas.
Old 19.06.2011, 05:18 PM
Team Captain

All fair points.

Not touched on 'the' big issue for me though - what do we do at RB?

Ced wants a top-tier contract. I like him but wonder if last season justifies it. Hopefully the auction won't be as frenzied as he hopes and we can sign him for reasonable money.
Old 19.06.2011, 06:36 PM
Pro

I'd maybe like to see us see if DeAngelo Williams, Michael Bush or even Joseph Addai (Espeically with the switch to the West Coast) are interested in a switch to the Nati mainly to give Ced some help can't be easy using him like a Mule all the game 25-30 carries a game that doesn't seem the way to do it this days.

I personally think Fullback is another need we played most of last season without one which is partly why Ced Ben struggled. Lawrence Vickers seems like he's going to be available after the lockout or even take a look at Marcel Reece in Oakland he did some solid blocking and he has some very decent hands.

Trouble is I don't see the front office gambling big money on a free agent, they'd rather hand out huge rookie contracts too the 'busts' of a first round. Hopefully Andre Smith can get his act together some day.

Last edited by JR90RFC; 19.06.2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 19.06.2011, 07:16 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR90RFC View Post
I'd maybe like to see us see if DeAngelo Williams, Michael Bush or even Joseph Addai (Espeically with the switch to the West Coast) are interested in a switch to the Nati mainly to give Ced some help can't be easy using him like a Mule all the game 25-30 carries a game that doesn't seem the way to do it this days.

I personally think Fullback is another need we played most of last season without one which is partly why Ced Ben struggled. Lawrence Vickers seems like he's going to be available after the lockout or even take a look at Marcel Reece in Oakland he did some solid blocking and he has some very decent hands.

Trouble is I don't see the front office gambling big money on a free agent, they'd rather hand out huge rookie contracts too the 'busts' of a first round. Hopefully Andre Smith can get his act together some day.
I think you nailed it on the head in your final paragraph, the front office wont gamble in free agency. I would like Vickers, mainly because he is tough, a hammer and a good pro...we lack all these. Pressley is the first one but we need experienced guys around Dalton. I would really like Bruce Gradkowski to come in and be that veteran guy to help Dalton. (plus he's won in Pittsburgh which matters) Whilst injuries are a concern with him, I still dont mind Dalton getting in there as soon as possible. In recent years, the young QBs who have done well are the ones that have got in there early.

Ced has played his card by saying he wants to stay in Cincy so that will impact his bargaining power and will get a fair contract but nothing huge. Like some of the guys have mentioned, the run game struggled last year...but when you chase games that will happen. The other guys you mention are not coming to us, especially DeAngelo and Addai!!

Wouldn't mind us taking a flyer on John Clay from Wisconsin because he is definitely abetween the tackles runner!!
Old 19.06.2011, 08:14 PM
Pro

I'll admit the DeAngelo Williams and Joseph Addai picks were a reach but if the organization wants constant success there the kind of guys we've got too try to lure to PBS.

I liked your mention about John Clay. I also noticed that Derrick Locke from Kentucky went undrafted as well maybe they can form a new "smash & dash" tandem for years to come.

I'm quietly optimistic about our future as Bengals.

New offensive system, Mr. Zimmer and a new face of the franchise to who knows the commitment to win.

Plus A.J and Dalton looked kind of happy to be joining Cincy?? right...
Old 19.06.2011, 08:50 PM
Starter

Quote:
I'll admit the DeAngelo Williams and Joseph Addai picks were a reach but if the organization wants constant success there the kind of guys we've got too try to lure to PBS.

I liked your mention about John Clay. I also noticed that Derrick Locke from Kentucky went undrafted as well maybe they can form a new "smash & dash" tandem for years to come.

I'm quietly optimistic about our future as Bengals.

New offensive system, Mr. Zimmer and a new face of the franchise to who knows the commitment to win.

Plus A.J and Dalton looked kind of happy to be joining Cincy?? right...
If we had binned Chad and TO in swoop at the end of the season I genuinely believe Carson would be back. I bouyed because we're only one year removed from winning the division and we can compete. We dont need to sign a high priced running back, thats not how success is built so we need to have consistent drafts. Its a huge year for the franchise and it starts with re-signing JJoe. If he comes back, it says we're focused on winning but I feel we might get priced out for him. I still believe that we wont be continually successful until the Brown family sell the franchise and I only see that a possibility based on the health of Mike. The franchise can be successful but we're probably some way off at the minute!
Old 19.06.2011, 09:18 PM
Pro

Carson didn't look right all season until the last couple of games, admittedly when T.O and 85 were out but maybe at some point he decided his future last season and played out those last two games trying to attract buyers? Who knows things like that happen.

I do agree we need more consistent drafts and I'm not saying go out and offer a running a huge deal but we do need some help for Cedric Benson. Wether that signing a solid run blocking fullback (Lawrence Vickers) or picking up a change of pace running back. I know we have Scott but for whatever reason they haven't seemed that intent on using him, maybe I am wrong and under Gruden that'll change.

You're absolutely right we can compete the game vs. New Orleans proved that (but for the Pat Sims mistake)

Maybe one day Mike Brown will realize he's hindering this organization rather then helping especially with Palmer trade and move one no one player is bigger than the club.

Sir Alex and Mr Belichick prove that and well look at their records.
Old 19.06.2011, 09:26 PM
Starter

Quote:
Carson didn't look right all season until the last couple of games, admittedly when T.O and 85 were out but maybe at some point he decided his future last season and played out those last two games trying to attract buyers? Who knows things like that happen.

I do agree we need more consistent drafts and I'm not saying go out and offer a running a huge deal but we do need some help for Cedric Benson. Wether that signing a solid run blocking fullback (Lawrence Vickers) or picking up a change of pace running back. I know we have Scott but for whatever reason they haven't seemed that intent on using him, maybe I am wrong and under Gruden that'll change.

You're absolutely right we can compete the game vs. New Orleans proved that (but for the Pat Sims mistake)

Maybe one day Mike Brown will realize he's hindering this organization rather then helping especially with Palmer trade and move one no one player is bigger than the club.

Sir Alex and Mr Belichick prove that and well look at their records.
You dont have to convince me about your last statement mate, I'm fully on board with that philosophy...if he said and did that it would be refreshing for fans but it also means that you have to reward the guys that dont have that attitude and thats not always been the case. We've not drafted badly we've just taken too many gambles or played it too safe, quite a strange paradox but that is the way we are. We have the talent but there isnt an culture that supports expecting to win, we hope to win which is something that a few guys close to the franchise have pointed out recently.

You might be right on CP, be to me he genuinley looked happy at the end of the season and CP doesnt seem like that kind of guy...he's had a mare in eyes. He signed the contract and owes us better, but probably as much as owe him a decent, distraction less team!