Notre Dame and Packers link? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Old 15.11.2012, 10:23 PM
Pro

Default Notre Dame and Packers link?

Hi all.

So I've now picked the Packers.

However I really want to pick a college team as it will really give me a more complete view and football experience.

So far I'm erring towards Notre Dame as I like the whole idea of the "Fighting Irish" phrase and the link that the Green Bay kit and that Curly Lambeau was an alumni of ND.

Is this perhaps the best link to the Packers in the NCAA? Or Re there more teams that have a stronger link?

Cheers.
Old 15.11.2012, 10:47 PM
Hall of Fame

Glad you're getting into college football...it's the best sport on the planet (and different from the NFL.)

But just to warn you...picking the Green Bay Packers to follow and then picking Notre Dame in college?

That would sort of be like picking Brazil's National Team and their WC in soccer as your team...and then picking to follow an EPL team with the greatest history and largest fanbase...as your second team.

Put this way, if you followed baseball and this were a logic puzzle...what would follow after Packers, Notre Dame...would be the NY Yankees.

That's what you've done...

Packers
Notre Dame
Yankees
Man U
LA Lakers
Montreal Canadians

That's your team for every sport.

You might want to try something less glory hunting.
Old 15.11.2012, 10:52 PM
MVP

If your going to be a Packers fan I'd chose to follow Wisconsin, within driving distance of Green Bay, a consistently good football and basketball team, and one of the best college towns in America.

But watch as many games as you can eventually you'll develop a felling for a team, possibly with nothing to do with the Packers.
Old 16.11.2012, 11:34 AM
Pro

On the Glory Hunting thing, my reasoning for choosing the Packers has nothing to do with their previous success or history. Rest assured I have watched so many games with so many different teams and it was the packers who shone through for personal reasons and not just success.

Why should I choose I team who I don't truly like just because others may consider me a glory chaser? As far as a mate was saying to me, glory chaser status would be more apt if I were a steelers fan.

Anyway the suggestion of Wisconsin college team is a very good one. I shall have a look at them and try to find some game footage etc.
Old 16.11.2012, 11:38 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mradam83 View Post
On the Glory Hunting thing, my reasoning for choosing the Packers has nothing to do with their previous success or history. Rest assured I have watched so many games with so many different teams and it was the packers who shone through for personal reasons and not just success.

Why should I choose I team who I don't truly like just because others may consider me a glory chaser? As far as a mate was saying to me, glory chaser status would be more apt if I were a steelers fan.

Anyway the suggestion of Wisconsin college team is a very good one. I shall have a look at them and try to find some game footage etc.
Wisconsin are a decent team and are usually very competitive year in/year out so you aren't stuck with a team going nowhere. Just got to make sure you pick a team that you connect with, I read about Bear Bryant and 'The Junction Boys' which made me want to be an Aggie fan. After watching one of their home games and seeing the original 12th man roaring the team on I was completely sold and never looked back.

College Football is fantastic, every game means so much as it can be the difference between national titles or conference championships. Just ask fans of Alabama after last weekend
Old 16.11.2012, 01:31 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin_Akie View Post
Wisconsin are a decent team and are usually very competitive year in/year out so you aren't stuck with a team going nowhere. Just got to make sure you pick a team that you connect with, I read about Bear Bryant and 'The Junction Boys' which made me want to be an Aggie fan. After watching one of their home games and seeing the original 12th man roaring the team on I was completely sold and never looked back.

College Football is fantastic, every game means so much as it can be the difference between national titles or conference championships. Just ask fans of Alabama after last weekend
Sorry to be a bit dim, but who are the aggies?
Old 16.11.2012, 01:49 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Its Texas A&M
Old 16.11.2012, 01:56 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt67 View Post
Its Texas A&M
Oh right, Cheers.
Old 16.11.2012, 02:06 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Oh right, Cheers.
No Probs, By the way i think your 1st choice for a college team is the correct one
Old 16.11.2012, 02:15 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Sorry should have been clearer especially since there is more than one team called the Aggies.

Tags
dame , ncaa , notre , packers