OL 0 0%
DE 0 0%
DT 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11.02.2013, 11:45 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalblueboy1 View Post
I know its early and a lot can change, but,essentially every pick is a straight choice between BPA & drafting for a need. There are advocates of both approaches.
Ideal scenario is if they coincide.
What I was speculating is that,as it stands,those 4 picks would represent a meeting of need & BP availability 'based on current projections' i.e. we would have options such as
1. Cordarelle Patterson or DeAndre Hopkins (WR)
2a.Eddie Lacy or Giovani Bernard (RB)
2b. Eric Reid or Matt Elam (S)
3. Sio Moore (OLB)

All entirely speculative,I agree, but interesting nonetheless (for some of us!).
If Patterson falls to us I would agree with you but would rather pick up Reggie bush than draft lacy , Elam wont fall to our 2b pick so may take him at 2a
Old 12.02.2013, 07:21 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalbrummie View Post
If Patterson falls to us I would agree with you but would rather pick up Reggie bush than draft lacy , Elam wont fall to our 2b pick so may take him at 2a
I don't know about that -Cincy Jungle has him projected to go in the 3rd.

Ranks and projections will obviously fluctuate over the next few weeks.
Old 12.02.2013, 07:42 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalblueboy1 View Post
I don't know about that -Cincy Jungle has him projected to go in the 3rd.

Ranks and projections will obviously fluctuate over the next few weeks.
A couple of mocks I have read have him going as early as a late first .
Can't remember what site it was on but one had us drafting Ogletree then Elam at 2a .
Old 13.02.2013, 03:40 PM
Team Captain

Elam will drop. He shows up on tape but he'll measure in short at the combine and he won't look good in shorts. He's not really that athletic, hips are stiff and he's not particularly fluid in coverage.

He excels on tape and making big hits but GM's aren't going to be attracted to a guy that measures in 5' 10 or shorter and doesn't particularly run very fast. I can see him dropping to bottom of the 2nd/early 3rd quite easily. I can easily see Vaccarro, Cyprien, Reid and Swearinger being ranked ahead of him and safety isn't really seen as a premium position in the NFL.
Old 13.02.2013, 11:21 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews07 View Post
Elam will drop. He shows up on tape but he'll measure in short at the combine and he won't look good in shorts. He's not really that athletic, hips are stiff and he's not particularly fluid in coverage.

He excels on tape and making big hits but GM's aren't going to be attracted to a guy that measures in 5' 10 or shorter and doesn't particularly run very fast. I can see him dropping to bottom of the 2nd/early 3rd quite easily. I can easily see Vaccarro, Cyprien, Reid and Swearinger being ranked ahead of him and safety isn't really seen as a premium position in the NFL.
I think either DB position is a premium position. Elam is in play for us with our second round picks but only really Vacarro looks worth 21 and he will be gone by then IMO.
Old 14.02.2013, 07:29 AM
MVP

Default Biggest Need

New Owner.......
Old 14.02.2013, 04:20 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman86 View Post
I think either DB position is a premium position. Elam is in play for us with our second round picks but only really Vacarro looks worth 21 and he will be gone by then IMO.
Safety isn't. There's a reason a guy like Milliner will go top 10 despite the fact he's not really an elite prospect.

A shutdown corner can take away an opposing team's main receiving threat, a safety can't.
Old 15.02.2013, 04:57 PM
Starter

Quote:
Safety isn't. There's a reason a guy like Milliner will go top 10 despite the fact he's not really an elite prospect.

A shutdown corner can take away an opposing team's main receiving threat, a safety can't.
I get your point but a game changing safety like Troy or Ed is totally worth a number one pick. That is my mindset. Secondary, D Line/Pass Rusher, O Line and QB is where I always think you look for your impact, franchise guys. Look at the Ravens...Flacco, Suggs, Reed, Ngata even Jimmy Smith all helped that team get where a championship. That is why we are desperate for us to resign MJ and Andre.
Old 19.02.2013, 03:04 PM
Team Captain

That's 2 safeties, both of which were drafted years ago. Not great examples.

Also, no receivers? you don't look for them to be impact franchise guys? Green, Megatron, Moss, Rice, Irvin.

Boldin played a bigger part than all those guys you listed as well. Ngata was pretty ineffective, Reed was average and old and Jimmy Smith was a nickel back who should have cost his team the Superbowl if the officials did their job correctly.
Old 20.02.2013, 09:28 PM
Starter

Quote:
That's 2 safeties, both of which were drafted years ago. Not great examples.

Also, no receivers? you don't look for them to be impact franchise guys? Green, Megatron, Moss, Rice, Irvin.

Boldin played a bigger part than all those guys you listed as well. Ngata was pretty ineffective, Reed was average and old and Jimmy Smith was a nickel back who should have cost his team the Superbowl if the officials did their job correctly.
The game has changed though, its TEs, Running backs who can catch the ball and WRs who play across all formations that make the difference in todays NFL...a top tier safety is a cure to those problems. Feel free to disagree.