German/Japanese Football? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.03.2012, 01:01 AM
mradam83's Avatar
mradam83 mradam83 is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 27.02.2012
Posts: 88
Default German/Japanese Football?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever had a chance to watch Germany or Japanese games?

I've seen a few highlights of the German bowl, and it does seem of a good standard and well supported.

Also, I understand the standard of the game is also very good in Japan but I've nor had a chance to find any examples yet.

Has anyone ever seen any games from said countries? And if so, what were your thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.03.2012, 01:10 AM
HolyRoller10's Avatar
HolyRoller10 HolyRoller10 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 26.10.2008
Posts: 13,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mradam83 View Post
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever had a chance to watch Germany or Japanese games?

I've seen a few highlights of the German bowl, and it does seem of a good standard and well supported.

Also, I understand the standard of the game is also very good in Japan but I've nor had a chance to find any examples yet.

Has anyone ever seen any games from said countries? And if so, what were your thoughts?
The US just won the World Championship of American Football with scores of...

61-0 over Australia
48-7 over Germany

US won the gold, Canada the silver and Japan the bronze.

Cody Hawkins was the USA QB...he was a bad college quarterback for the University of Colorado and was not drafted by the NFL.

Basically, bad college football players who won't ever play in the NFL made up the USA's roster and they still won handily.

I watched some highlights. A really good high school team in the US could play Japan and Germany competitively if not beat them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15.03.2012, 01:20 AM
mradam83's Avatar
mradam83 mradam83 is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 27.02.2012
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyRoller10 View Post
The US just won the World Championship of American Football with scores of...

61-0 over Australia
48-7 over Germany

US won the gold, Canada the silver and Japan the bronze.

Cody Hawkins was the USA QB...he was a bad college quarterback for the University of Colorado and was not drafted by the NFL.

Basically, bad college football players who won't ever play in the NFL made up the USA's roster and they still won handily.

I watched some highlights. A really good high school team in the US could play Japan and Germany competitively if not beat them.
Yeah, I watched the NCAA division III champions play GB Lions once and they beat the Lions something mad like 21-3.

I think though playing against higher standard teams are pretty good - similar to if say Wales got a chance to play against Spain in Footie I would imagine. It would be a battering, but a good experience for Wales.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15.03.2012, 01:54 AM
HolyRoller10's Avatar
HolyRoller10 HolyRoller10 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 26.10.2008
Posts: 13,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mradam83 View Post
Yeah, I watched the NCAA division III champions play GB Lions once and they beat the Lions something mad like 21-3.

I think though playing against higher standard teams are pretty good - similar to if say Wales got a chance to play against Spain in Footie I would imagine. It would be a battering, but a good experience for Wales.
It's good to have the competition but right now football is like basketball 50 years ago...things won't drastically change until you get more global leagues and kids believe they can have a future playing the sport. Once Europe got really into basketball and started their own leagues...it took off and they started producing talented players.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15.03.2012, 02:39 AM
mradam83's Avatar
mradam83 mradam83 is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 27.02.2012
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyRoller10 View Post
It's good to have the competition but right now football is like basketball 50 years ago...things won't drastically change until you get more global leagues and kids believe they can have a future playing the sport. Once Europe got really into basketball and started their own leagues...it took off and they started producing talented players.
Good point, I remember someone on the boards here saying they're starting an initiative to bring American Football to schools - things like that will definitely help raise the standard.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15.03.2012, 03:03 AM
HolyRoller10's Avatar
HolyRoller10 HolyRoller10 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 26.10.2008
Posts: 13,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mradam83 View Post
Good point, I remember someone on the boards here saying they're starting an initiative to bring American Football to schools - things like that will definitely help raise the standard.
Has to happen to ever grow competitively globally...even basketball you can become good just by yourself (and that took awhile) but football needs serious infrastructure and it has to start with kids taking up the sport.

Kids in Japan have that with baseball...where the sport is religion in high schools...and they produce great baseball players.

It will always take more than fandom for American football to succeed in popularity overseas...it needs to be played by the kids to sink its teeth into a culture...until schoolyards start playing football instead of soccer it will always be a curiosity taken up by a few and played at at stagnant club level. I hope it happens...sports only get better when you can grab talent from a global pool.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15.03.2012, 04:29 AM
yellaflow's Avatar
yellaflow yellaflow is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 08.02.2012
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mradam83 View Post
Also, I understand the standard of the game is also very good in Japan but I've nor had a chance to find any examples yet.

Has anyone ever seen any games from said countries? And if so, what were your thoughts?
Haven't watched any of the vids, but these channels have lots of Japanese football games:

https://www.youtube.com/user/jnetTVfootball/videos

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/rtv-sports/videos

Football is gaining popularity in Japan, due in part to a manga (comic book) called Eyeshield 21:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JihQoyKRnyk

Manga is a very popular medium in Japan, read by all ages and accounting for 25% of their publishing. If I were the NFL I'd take advantage of this and commission more manga showcasing the glories of American football (with the feel-good ending being the Japanese protagonist joining an NFL team and winning the Super Bowl).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15.03.2012, 06:39 PM
tksgtmason's Avatar
tksgtmason tksgtmason is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 24.04.2006
Posts: 11,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellaflow View Post
Haven't watched any of the vids, but these channels have lots of Japanese football games:

https://www.youtube.com/user/jnetTVfootball/videos

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/rtv-sports/videos

Football is gaining popularity in Japan, due in part to a manga (comic book) called Eyeshield 21:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JihQoyKRnyk

Manga is a very popular medium in Japan, read by all ages and accounting for 25% of their publishing. If I were the NFL I'd take advantage of this and commission more manga showcasing the glories of American football (with the feel-good ending being the Japanese protagonist joining an NFL team and winning the Super Bowl).
seen the series of eyeshield, its funny, the qb make brett favre look a poor gunslinger.

but eyeshield does just end literally, confusingly as well.

recommended
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 16.03.2012, 01:35 AM
mradam83's Avatar
mradam83 mradam83 is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 27.02.2012
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksgtmason View Post
seen the series of eyeshield, its funny, the qb make brett favre look a poor gunslinger.

but eyeshield does just end literally, confusingly as well.

recommended
Excellent, cheers for that - the recommendation I mean.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 16.03.2012, 10:29 PM
tksgtmason's Avatar
tksgtmason tksgtmason is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: 24.04.2006
Posts: 11,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mradam83 View Post
Excellent, cheers for that - the recommendation I mean.
actually have them all on my hard drive, i like how they make the running backs the centre of attention with guys who run 4.4 40 yards as guys under the speed of sound though those who run 4.2 is speed of light backs.

only seen the first twenty of so episodes, if you seen it, i've seen just after the roller skate vs running race (without blowing too much story)

there's also a 4yr old guide to the nfl.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
german , international , japan

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 12:08 PM.