What are your feelings towards the Bengals - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cleveland Browns

Old 04.09.2010, 10:40 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretts View Post
No different as AFL Championships mate. BUT..........

........by 1966 an NFL Championship wasn't enough to be the best, had to be a Superbowl mate.

The Browns only played about 7 teams back in 1867 to win their titles mate

EDIT: I aways have the feeling of deja vu when discussing the finer points with you LBD
Better to win something than nothing mate, no wonder your a Tory boy, like to follow the minority groups dont yeh.

Got a feeling that football is back Mate, always nice to warm up with a bit of trash talking.

**** the Bengles and Michigan
Old 04.09.2010, 10:47 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebladedawg View Post
Better to win something than nothing mate, no wonder your a Tory boy, like to follow the minority groups dont yeh.

Got a feeling that football is back Mate, always nice to warm up with a bit of trash talking.

**** the Bengles and Michigan
If our NFL season bets look to be evens we'll stick it all on the ****eyes vs Michigan game mate. ok?
Old 05.09.2010, 07:36 AM
All Pro

Quote:
I personally hate the Steelers and Ravens more than the expansion team from up North. Even the Oilers used to come higher on my radar than the Browns.

They're a ''who cares'' team I'm afraid, who's fans still live in the black & white era. Its embarrassing to read sometimes, it would be like Accrington Stanley fans crowing about how they used to win the Football League years & years ago.

There's only one team in Ohio who's made it to Super Bowls.......

............and it ain't the Browns mate.
Same here, I couldn't really care less about the Bagels apart from when they feel it necessary to indulge in a little trash talking on a Browns forum. Apart from that they're a little insignificant.
Old 05.09.2010, 09:19 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If our NFL season bets look to be evens we'll stick it all on the ****eyes vs Michigan game mate. ok?
Yeh im up for that mate, im up for doing the same as last year, if i win both the bets, actually when i win both the bets then stick the twenty on Michigan to beat the Buckeyes as the odds on that must be nearly as long as the Bengles winning anything
Old 19.10.2010, 04:47 AM
Pro

Living in Cleveland I might be able to shed a bit of light on this topic, we dont hate the bengals, dont get me wrong we dont like them but its not a true strong rivalry. Michigan on the other hand, cheering them on in almost any part of ohio will cause you problems and in Columbus it will most likely land you a beating haha nothing but hate and disgust there
Old 29.10.2010, 02:55 AM
Starter

Browns and Bengals mirror the rivalry between the Cities. Cleveland is the more "industrial blue-collar" town and they think the Cincy fans put on ridiculous airs. Cincinatti has a little more history (about 50 years or so, this is the USA), and was once a really big deal (back when river traffic was the big thing). They think of Clevelanders as being brutish boors (and hope no one brings up that Cincy gave the world Hustler magazine and Jerry Springer (he was mayor of Cincy before he went on TV). That said, it's usually friendly (I've known people to wear Bengals jerseys in the Dog Pound, and get nothing more than a lot of mostly good-natured verbal abuse).

Outside of their home cities, most of Ohio is split between the teams (no one roots for both), with a substantial number of Steeler fans mixed in (mostly in the Eastern parts).

The funny thing about the "rivals" is that both were founded by the same man, Paul Brown. He built the Browns from the ground up, then created the Bengals after Art Model forced him out in the early 60s (same guy who took the team to Baltimore, HE is hated). He also built the Massolin Tigers (legendary High School team) and Coached Ohio State to it's first National Championship, he's a bit of a legend.

At the College level it's much simpler. Except for the area around Toledo (which is a bit split), everyone is for OSU over Michigan. First of all, tOSU (The Ohio State University, as it's written on the School Seal) has over 50,000 students (Michigan's enrolment is just about the same). Even if you didn't go there, you know several someones who did.

Two, there is no equal "in state" rival for tOSU. Michigan, aka "that school up north" has Michigan State, who they will claim is their REAL rival (when they are on a good streak in the rivalry, right now that never gets said). If you are the Coach at tOSU, going to top-level bowl games is expected, winning a National Title is hoped for, but beating Michigan is demanded. People say that Columbusites treat Football like a religion, but that just isn't true, they take it much more seriously. Actaully Ohio as a whole is probably only matched in its football madness by Texas, it can get kinda scary sometimes (I grew up out-of-state, so I have "some" perspective).
Old 29.10.2010, 02:10 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishTexan View Post
I know im a Packers fan but I also love the Browns
Im just wondering what the relationship is between Cleveland and Cincinnati?
They're both from Ohio but they're in the same division
Is their hatred?
or is it a respect rivalry?
or is it Browns fans support Ohios other team if the Bengals are in the playoffs and the Browns aren't?
I have never really known
i dont dislike many nfl teams apart from the cowboys.
Old 29.10.2010, 09:58 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearingdown View Post
Two, there is no equal "in state" rival for tOSU. Michigan, aka "that school up north" has Michigan State, who they will claim is their REAL rival (when they are on a good streak in the rivalry, right now that never gets said). If you are the Coach at tOSU, going to top-level bowl games is expected, winning a National Title is hoped for, but beating Michigan is demanded. People say that Columbusites treat Football like a religion, but that just isn't true, they take it much more seriously. Actaully Ohio as a whole is probably only matched in its football madness by Texas, it can get kinda scary sometimes (I grew up out-of-state, so I have "some" perspective).
Well said, good example John Cooper, not a bad coach but couldnt beat michigan, result, fired. Its THE week of the year without a doubt. I agree with the religion comment too, I've seen football on at funerals, weddings, and every other place you would least expect it to be on, Ohio is football. And yes texans are nuts about it also