Old 24.11.2015, 01:09 AM
Starter

Default Should Rawls keep the Torch

Most total yards in a game by a Seahawk

1. Shaun Alexander 273yds v Oakland 2001
2. Steve Largent 261yds v Detroit 1987
3. Thomas Rawls 255yds v 49ers 2015

Pretty impressive company

The 49ers are not the team they were but Rawls put up 78 more yards last night than Lynch has in any one game. He also got 169 yards against a pretty strong Cincinnati team, in 4 starts he has had over 100 rushing yards 3 times; last night wasn't a flash in the pan Rawls is class. Lynch has only has 100 yards rushing once, against the same 49er team burnt through for over 200.

Lynch has had injury problems this year but how much of that is due to his workload? When he has suited up his figures have been far from stellar with only 3.8 yards per carry (Rawls has 6). The experts said at the start of 2014 Lynch had had to much work to continue to be a top RB he proved them wrong but father time and thousands of hits have finally caught up with him.

I would like to see Rawls start next week even if Lynch is fit. If a decent trade can be found we could even move him on (maybe to the Cowboys they seem to like our RBs ), if not Lynch could stay as back-up / committee (though I would like Rawls to get the bulk of the carries in a RBBC).
Old 24.11.2015, 01:45 AM
All Pro

The trade deadline was several weeks ago. Lynch couldn't be traded until the end of the 2015 season.

At this point I think you have to roll with Rawls until Marshawn is fit and then make the decision. At this point, sticking with Rawls makes a lot of sense. He has shown a bunch of discipline that has improved the passing game, and found the wholes from the man (opposed to last seasons zone) running system.

The issue will be moving forward. Lynch is on a big deal and will be turning 30 which is often the start of a slide but is an insitution in Seattle and often seen as a leader to that team. Rawls will also remain an unknown quantity (just ask fantasy players about running backs consistency year to year) which puts a big question on the team considering the O line issues.
Old 24.11.2015, 12:58 PM
Starter

When I said trade I meant at the end of the season.

I am no expert on contracts but my understanding of Lynch's contract is that the seahawks could cut him at little cost, presumably to trade him the buying club would have to match his salary but I think there are a few teams that would take the risk of getting another season out of him.

I do get your point about consistency though, I wasted a 1st round pick on CJ Anderson this year
Old 24.11.2015, 07:07 PM
All Pro

5 million in dead cap space in 2016, about 2.5 in 2018 id Lynch were to be released. That is a considerable amount in year one but not insurmountable.

I think its more likely he stays on but is reduced to a Jermone Bettis role c.2004 where he comes in for periods but is not considered the main back any more. That way he can run hard every down and still get 100 yards out of him rather than what we get right now which is a combination of him trying to stay healthy and being over tired.
Old 13.12.2015, 05:45 PM
Team Captain

Rawls has certainly been better than we could have hoped for so far this season and should keep seeing playing time even when Lynch is back. At best, Lynch returns in good shape and the two of them would be a good rushing combo; it would help Lynch that he may only need to be out there for 10-12ish snaps a game with Rawls also available. At worst, Lynch has lost that bit of extra magic but Rawls has proved he's capable of taking over the majority of the load and can keep the torch whether Lynch leaves sooner or later.

Losing Lynch to his injury also seemed to force the coaches to focus and work on improving the o line and the passing game, which were a little weak early in the season. The improvement has really shown in Russell Wilson's performances over the last 2-3 games, because of this I think Rawls has been a massive plus for the whole offense and it's been great to watch!