Politics - Page 1589 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Entertainment/News

Old 12.12.2018, 09:21 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffies View Post
Well that was a waste of a day. Obvious she was going to win. Jezza wants a general election but won't call a no-confidence vote in the government.
Yeah, no chance of that, there's a good chance he'd win and then he'd actually have to do something.
Old 12.12.2018, 10:57 PM
MVP

The whole thing is such a mess. This vote today doesn't heal any divisions. A vote on the deal next week won't heal any divisions.

Cameron has a lot to answer for. Danny Dyer said it best.
Old 13.12.2018, 09:06 PM
All Pro

Worrying new laws in Hungary that mean employers can demand their employees work overtime. By its nature it should be optional and in reality means employees can be dismissed for refusing to do a lot of overtime.
Old 15.12.2018, 07:19 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamar Raider View Post
Well she won the vote 200-117 and is safe from another confidence vote for 12 months.
kind of wonder if May is some evil genius,this vote of confidence has been close for a while but to announce a vote with in hours of the 48 letters been submitted pretty much meant there was no real candidates throwing there hats in and gathering any real support and is now safe internally for 12 months.

reports she did say that she would not be the leader for the next general election maybe gives her some headaches if one is called before the next scheduled one on 2022.
Old 15.12.2018, 07:27 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffies View Post
Well that was a waste of a day. Obvious she was going to win. Jezza wants a general election but won't call a no-confidence vote in the government.
does Corbyn really want a general election before May's deal gets enacted or no deal by March,labours Brexit policy is also an absolute car crash so surely there best option is wait till May time when issues might start effecting voters lives then try to get parliament to act and have a general election NOT all about BREXIT.
Old 16.12.2018, 12:27 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
does Corbyn really want a general election before May's deal gets enacted or no deal by March,labours Brexit policy is also an absolute car crash so surely there best option is wait till May time when issues might start effecting voters lives then try to get parliament to act and have a general election NOT all about BREXIT.
Yes, I don't understand the clamour for a general election either. In case Corbyn hasn't noticed, party politics does not neatly split along Brexit lines. Not among the main two parties, anyway. The idea that he and his people could go to Brussels and negotiate something better is pretty fanciful unless he is planning to enact a Swiss or Norway model Brexit that is easy to negotiate (as there is already a template). Which I guess is not out of the question. The Labour front bench has not interpreted the Brexit vote to mean that we must clamp down on EU immigration in the way that May has interpreted it. Which it is free to do, I suppose, as there is no answer to that question given it wasn't the question asked. But based on polls and anecdotes, you would say that a lot of the areas where people seem to be saying they wanted to cut immigration are Labour areas.

I think Labour's vote is probably more split on Brexit than the Tory vote. Where I live is very Labour and very Remain, but places like Hull or Sunderland or whatever are the opposite. And with the current leaderships and political climates I think you're probably more likely to get the working class Labour-voting Brexit obsessive to switch to the Tories than you are to get a lower-middle class Tory voter who favours Remain or a much softer Brexit than this to switch to this particular incarnation of Labour. I would have said different 20 years ago.

Last edited by European Bob; 16.12.2018 at 12:30 AM.
Old 16.12.2018, 02:58 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You'd have to think Labour wouldn't want one before brexit day purely because it would be fought on that and their position is if anything less clear than the Conservatives. Although once its happened, as you say by May time if things aren't going well forcing a no confidence vote through the commons and hold it on what is going on nationally in all areas; if it did happen it would be 'interesting' to see what happens with the Conservatives given May has said she won't lead the party into the next election.
Old 17.12.2018, 12:59 AM
GOAT

you know times are dark when you end up agreeing with Blair.

May keeps on with the same nonsense about people losing faith if theres another vote, despite ignoring reality and that now we have real information.

it seems the only real hope her deal has is a public vote given its status with MPs.
she is now trying to polish the deal and pretend that it will have a major impact.
Old 17.12.2018, 08:32 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post
you know times are dark when you end up agreeing with Blair.

May keeps on with the same nonsense about people losing faith if theres another vote, despite ignoring reality and that now we have real information.

it seems the only real hope her deal has is a public vote given its status with MPs.
she is now trying to polish the deal and pretend that it will have a major impact.
politics aside but the worst person to be talking about listening to the people is Blair but the EU people don't see how putting him in the spotlight detracts from the argument with his track record.

on the deal surely May is just going full on with either take my deal or risk no deal,she aint going to call a second vote and is there is almost no time for anything else.as I said before maybe she is a genius by forcing MP's to have to stomach her deal after saying no deal would be a un-imaginable.
Old 17.12.2018, 08:37 PM
GOAT

Quote:
politics aside but the worst person to be talking about listening to the people is Blair but the EU people don't see how putting him in the spotlight detracts from the argument with his track record.

on the deal surely May is just going full on with either take my deal or risk no deal,she aint going to call a second vote and is there is almost no time for anything else.as I said before maybe she is a genius by forcing MP's to have to stomach her deal after saying no deal would be a un-imaginable.

its getting to the point where May is just coming across as someone whose lost the plot, she thinks leaving the EU is bad but is determined to force leaving through even though she knows we will be worse off.