Ched Evans - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 07.01.2015, 04:46 PM
Team Captain

Default Ched Evans

Not sure if there is already a thread about the situation with Ched, just wondered what people thought about him signing (or thereabouts) for Oldham.

I personally don't have a problem with this, even I would've signed him for Sheff United.
Old 07.01.2015, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelegiants View Post
Not sure if there is already a thread about the situation with Ched, just wondered what people thought about him signing (or thereabouts) for Oldham.

I personally don't have a problem with this, even I would've signed him for Sheff United.
I hope that if the deal goes ahead (as now seems likely) -

Opposition fans respect oldham's right to sign Ched.

And Oldham respect any fans who want their season tickets refunded because they don't agree with the move.

I also hope Oldham fans don't sing the disgusting songs that have been doing the rounds.
Old 07.01.2015, 06:45 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post

And Oldham respect any fans who want their season tickets refunded because they don't agree with the move.

I also hope Oldham fans don't sing the disgusting songs that have been doing the rounds.
End of the day, if Oldham fans stop going to games, buying merchandise etc. they'll ruin the club themselves.

I think this case really does question the solidity of our justice system.
Old 07.01.2015, 06:58 PM
Hall of Fame

I don't think any club should sign Evans. There are some crimes so heinous that in terms of Sport, the doors should remain closed.

The criminal case against Evans had its debatable points, but the long and short of it is that a jury hearing all the evidence (and not from the media reports) convicted him. So that's what he is. A convicted rapist. He may contend his innocence but the fact is he has been deemed a sex offender....and sport for all its influence, should not entertain the notion of rehabilitating such a person.

He hasn't served his time, he is still on licence and he isn't rehabilitated. His attitude towards his crimes highlight that.

Luke McCormick and Lee Hughes are two others who by their own decisions and actions killed three innocent people between them in unrelated incidents. They too shouldn't have been allowed to return.

But footballs moral compass is minuscule. Oldham get a good football player who will do well for them. But even contemplating the most realistic success Evans may bring to the club, will it be worth it to the club in the long term?
Old 07.01.2015, 07:10 PM
Hall of Fame

He has served enough of his time that the legal system in our country has deemed he has the right to earn a living and the trade he wants to is deemed an acceptable one both by the PFA and our legal system

If people have an issue with that then they have the right to not go and watch him or even not support the club anymore that has employed him but we can not bully the game into being the social prosecuter of our society and we can not allow the individual moral code to dictate punishments on people because they did not like how the courts have handled him or the fact he has not apologised for something he hasn't done, which coincidently no one else would do either yet they feel the right to demand it of others

The end of it should be that we accept it and leave it at that, it's done now and hopefully after a while the mob will find someone else and this story can go away
Old 07.01.2015, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebladedawg View Post
or the fact he has not apologised for something he hasn't done,
I beg your pardon?
Old 07.01.2015, 08:09 PM
MVP

Personally I think it's wrong.

If I was convicted of the crime he committed, on release from prison I wouldn't be allowed to carry on in the job that I do and the same goes for a lot of professions.

Yes he has served his time and yes he should be allowed to get on with his life but for me he should have to start from scratch. To walk back into an extremely well paid and compared to most, easy profession, really gets on my nerves.

But I don't make the law so it is what it is
Old 07.01.2015, 08:36 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I beg your pardon?
It was clearly worded With the intention of his view, I felt it read better than him believing as in that would lead to posts on here suggesting otherwise

I have clearly made my position on this clear in the other threads, I don't know know who is telling the truth or not but Ched clearly believes his version
Old 07.01.2015, 08:59 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegend View Post
Personally I think it's wrong.

If I was convicted of the crime he committed, on release from prison I wouldn't be allowed to carry on in the job that I do and the same goes for a lot of professions.

Yes he has served his time and yes he should be allowed to get on with his life but for me he should have to start from scratch. To walk back into an extremely well paid and compared to most, easy profession, really gets on my nerves.

But I don't make the law so it is what it is
But he also wouldn't be able to do the job you do, or one of those other possessions. There's a list of jobs you can't do. Footballer isn't on the list. And it's not actually an easy profession - if it was easy more people would be able to do it professionally. Maybe you mean doing it isn't a miserable existence. What does that mean, starting from scratch? Which job?

As I mentioned before, I don't even think it is about the job - it is about money (and misery) actually. He should be miserable and poor. I posted this link on the other thread earlier about the r@pist who won the lottery in 2004 - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3554008.stm Not in a role model position, I don't know if he even had a job at all in fact, probably not. But people were still angry. Because someone like this should be miserable and destitute.

As I've said previously, I've no time for moral rights. There are legal rights and that's that. A clear system that sets out society's rules. Everything else is just someone's opinion. If we as a society don't like the current rules we must change them. But you can't go arbitrarily enforcing things based on whims or moral outrage. It's no better than a dictatorship.
Old 07.01.2015, 09:04 PM
MVP

Quote:

It would be nice if Oldham decided to refund season ticket costs (pro rata, presumably) for those who were not happy, but at the same time I don't think fans should expect it or get angry if they say no. They've no right to a refund. In the end it is just voting with your feet if you feel that way

Safe to say that all the negatives you mention emanating from the terraces will all happen - when we talk about goodwill and being sensible, reasonable, respectful and all these other things a tribe of football fans on a terrace probably isn't the first place you would look. We can but hope. But Evans will just have to live with all that.