BBC Coverage 2018/19? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Old 08.08.2018, 10:33 AM
Rookie

Default BBC Coverage 2018/19?

Hi,
Does anyone know if the BBC is covering the NFL again this year?
I've tried telephoning them to ask before (which was really hard in itself) but been told they don't know.
The season starts soon, but still no news...
Old 11.08.2018, 08:53 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevla View Post
Hi,
Does anyone know if the BBC is covering the NFL again this year?
I've tried telephoning them to ask before (which was really hard in itself) but been told they don't know.
The season starts soon, but still no news...
I hope not. The coverage and analysis is embarrassing.
Old 11.08.2018, 09:36 AM
Hall of Fame

I'm pretty sure last week when I checked the game schedules on NFL.com the 'BBC' logo was displayed. I've just double checked it now and it's nowhere to be seen.

I'd be surprised if they aren't covering it in some capacity though. That said, looking at the BBC SPORT NFL page the only thing they've really covered since June is the Anthem protest saga.

Can't find anything about a new deal anywhere. The only thing google turns up is articles on the 2-year deal they agreed in 2015.
Old 11.08.2018, 09:43 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
I'd be surprised if they aren't covering it in some capacity though. That said, looking at the BBC SPORT NFL page the only thing they've really covered since June is the Anthem protest saga.
That's a pretty good measure. The BBC focus on their news on their website on stuff they have rights coverage for. For years they basically pretended real PDC darts didn't exist despite it being far more popular than the BDO which they had rights for and their website was full of.
Old 11.08.2018, 02:09 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
That's a pretty good measure. The BBC focus on their news on their website on stuff they have rights coverage for. For years they basically pretended real PDC darts didn't exist despite it being far more popular than the BDO which they had rights for and their website was full of.
Even when they have rights to a sport it doesn’t mean they give it good coverage on their sports website.

PDC darts gets covered for the World Championship plus of course the Champions League the BBC are screening in a couple of months. However most of the PDC tournaments, those on Sky or ITV4 get completely ignored. Is pretty much same with snooker on the BBC televised tournaments really get coverage.

With NFL I do agree the lack of any coverage of pre-season could be worrying as they did some articles last year before the regular season. However the NFLUK do have a reputation for 11th hour TV deals so still a few weeks to go. I can’t see it going back to C4 and I am sure that NFLUK will want some free TV coverage even if they restrict to the Super Bowl and move all the London games to Sky.
Old 11.08.2018, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn’t worry. These TV deals are always announced just before the season begins. Also, I wouldn’t be concerned with the lack of NFL news on the BBC’s website. It always looks very sparse during the summer months.

Last edited by boknows34; 11.08.2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11.08.2018, 05:05 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy93 View Post
Even when they have rights to a sport it doesn’t mean they give it good coverage on their sports website.

PDC darts gets covered for the World Championship plus of course the Champions League the BBC are screening in a couple of months. However most of the PDC tournaments, those on Sky or ITV4 get completely ignored. Is pretty much same with snooker on the BBC televised tournaments really get coverage.

With NFL I do agree the lack of any coverage of pre-season could be worrying as they did some articles last year before the regular season. However the NFLUK do have a reputation for 11th hour TV deals so still a few weeks to go. I can’t see it going back to C4 and I am sure that NFLUK will want some free TV coverage even if they restrict to the Super Bowl and move all the London games to Sky.
I wouldn't be surprised if PremierSports / FreeSports got it. It would fit into their portfolio perfectly. They have got a lot of rights recently including US content including NHL and NASCAR
Old 11.08.2018, 05:47 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if PremierSports / FreeSports got it. It would fit into their portfolio perfectly. They have got a lot of rights recently including US content including NHL and NASCAR
think Sky would have an issue with Premier sport having any NFL rights with it been a pay TV competitor.

maybe a shot in the dark but maybe Quest would be a better home as they have started showing more sport.
Old 11.08.2018, 06:17 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
think Sky would have an issue with Premier sport having any NFL rights with it been a pay TV competitor.

maybe a shot in the dark but maybe Quest would be a better home as they have started showing more sport.
If they put it on FreeSports that's free to air?

Quest is an option, although a lot of their sport (like snooker and Le Mans) is actually Eurosport stuff with bits of the coverage doubled up onto Quest.
Old 12.08.2018, 01:46 PM
Starter

with highlights already on Youtube & NFL Now think it would be better if the BBC package was longer say at least 75 - 90 minutes with say 25 mins for the best game of the week(or at least one not covered by Sky) better highlights of the other games and still have time for the analysis/chat/humour

Tags
bbc