BBC Coverage 2018/19? - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Old 12.08.2018, 02:50 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
If they put it on FreeSports that's free to air?

Quest is an option, although a lot of their sport (like snooker and Le Mans) is actually Eurosport stuff with bits of the coverage doubled up onto Quest.
Yes but Freesports is owned by Premier. Also they can’t afford to pay anything for rights on the free channel, so unless the BBC refuse to renew and the rumour is they pay next to nothing for coverage then why give free to Freesports and not the BBC.

If you want a free channel and BBC, ITV, C4 etc. don’t want it, Quest is a good call. They now have the free TV highlights for Football League. Also on last nights show they said they hope to be launching in HD on Freeview for next weekend’s show so that means they will be in HD on all TV platforms.
Old 15.08.2018, 05:37 AM
Pro

Im pretty sure last season the bbc deal was announced right at the last minute.
Old 20.08.2018, 08:25 PM
Starter

As a fairly new NFL follower, I loved the BBC coverage! Especially when I was having major issues with Gamepass early last year.
It would be sad to lose the BBC coverage, whilst I did intermittently watch the coverage on Channel 4, the BBC show was my gateway into the NFL.

Also ... When’s Nat Coombs podcast returning ?
Old 21.08.2018, 07:59 AM
All Pro

The BBC coverage is definitely coming back. (Jason Bell has been out filming in the US for this season's programmes)

A slightly opaque deal was announced last year at this time without any length of deal or money announced (I doubt the BBC is probably paying anything for it). I suspect it was a multi-year deal with NFL. NFLUK know how important the BBC is to it's coverage, they know that if/when there's a franchise that they'll need BBC live coverage on board by then in some capacity to make it a success.

No other entity in this country has the sport reach that the BBC still does. The show after MOTD is a very clever way of getting spill over of viewers interested.

The 'BBC' highlights shows are largely funded and produced (by Whisper Films) by the NFL and shown throughout other regions in the world as well as on the BBC. That's also why you see it show up on Gamepass. In a funny way the NFL sort of uses the BBC as an infomercial channel to get people interested in the game.

Last edited by jonno; 21.08.2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 24.08.2018, 05:32 AM
Rookie

All but confirmed at this point now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bj6k2h (The NFL Show returning after MOTD on the 1st September 2018).

I doubt anyone from the NFL Redzone production team reads this but if someone knows one and can point this out it would be excellent.

At Week 6 Seahawks at Raiders (in London) will be on the BBC and it'll be a 1pm EST game. Presumably the BBC will take Fox's coverage but put Mark/Nat, Jason and Osi in the breaks. But could Redzone take the BBC coverage? It's one less thing to worry about as you know the BBC won't go to commercials. Maybe it's not possible but from a production standpoint it makes sense.
Old 24.08.2018, 07:54 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGHazard View Post
All but confirmed at this point now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bj6k2h (The NFL Show returning after MOTD on the 1st September 2018).

I doubt anyone from the NFL Redzone production team reads this but if someone knows one and can point this out it would be excellent.

At Week 6 Seahawks at Raiders (in London) will be on the BBC and it'll be a 1pm EST game. Presumably the BBC will take Fox's coverage but put Mark/Nat, Jason and Osi in the breaks. But could Redzone take the BBC coverage? It's one less thing to worry about as you know the BBC won't go to commercials. Maybe it's not possible but from a production standpoint it makes sense.
Why would redzone go to BBC coverage? At a break in the game, they will go to another game ahead of studio chat and rightly so.
Old 24.08.2018, 11:40 AM
Rookie

You're not getting my point.

Yes Redzone won't show the studio chat full screen. But sometimes Fox or CBS will go to the ad break so quickly that one sneaks through onto Redzone, or sometimes they've shown an ad picture-in-picture so they have to cut to another game.

Lets say you have Chargers/Browns, Panthers/Redskins, Seahawks/Raiders and Colts/Jets on the quad screen. Colts/Jets goes to a break so Redzone cuts to Panthers/Redskins full screen.

But I want to see how the Browns are doing. At this point the ticker at the bottom of the screen won't display the score for lets say another 2 minutes.

If they use the BBC coverage, I don't expect them to make it full screen if it went to a break. But I have seen Redzone keep the quad screen open if one of the games has gone to the commentators in the studio or sideline reporters is on screen instead.

They could use the BBC coverage in the same way. It means there's a guarantee of no commercials on that game and they can keep the quad or octo boxes on screen for longer if necessary.
Old 24.08.2018, 03:06 PM
Pro Bowler

Redzone carries the feed of Fox/CBS for each game.
It doesnt make production sense for NFL Media to take the feed from BBC just because there wont be commercials, they are used to dealing with that issue, and taking a feed from a tv network they never work with is likely to cause other unknown issues.
There are likely contractual agreements between the US tv networks and NFL that would be compromised. Redzone is shown in the US and other parts of the world too (not just UK/gamepass).
All to avoid an issue they might have (and routinely deal with almost seamlessly) during 3 hours of broadcasting?

21st century first world problems
Old 28.08.2018, 10:08 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGHazard View Post
This is pretty big. The NFL has only ever been shown on BBC in the evening once at 5pm for the Chargers v Saints game in 2008 at which point at 7pm it was moved to BBC3 (which of course no longer exists). So it looks like the BBC are committing to showing the game on BBC2 from 6pm until at least 9:30pm.

That is a huge commitment from the BBC.
Old 17.09.2018, 11:02 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_Shadow View Post
As a fairly new NFL follower, I loved the BBC coverage!
I can't stand that BBC show. Tried to watch it again recently, and couldn't. The 3 guys are great I'm sure, but it just doesn't gel into anything that is worth watching in my opinion.

Tags
bbc