2nd Best in conference but not win division. - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 13.12.2018, 08:16 PM
Pro

Default 2nd Best in conference but not win division.

At the moment the Chargers have the 2nd record in the AFC but are not heading up their division. My google foo is failing me, has a team ever finished the regular season in such a state?

It also raises the question about seeding for the play-offs, it seems a little unfair that the charges would almost certainly have to have to win two road games to get to the conference championship just because the Chiefs are in their division.
Old 13.12.2018, 08:46 PM
Hall of Fame

The '99 Titans finished 13-3....the Jags won the division at 14-2.

The '85 Broncos and' 08 Patriots both missed the play offs with 11-5 records. There have been at least 20 teams with records of 10-6 or better and still missed the play offs.

The debate about 7-9/8-8/9-7 teams making the play offs at the expense of teams with better records came up not so long ago iirc.
Old 13.12.2018, 09:09 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
The '99 Titans finished 13-3....the Jags won the division at 14-2.

The '85 Broncos and' 08 Patriots both missed the play offs with 11-5 records. There have been at least 20 teams with records of 10-6 or better and still missed the play offs.

The debate about 7-9/8-8/9-7 teams making the play offs at the expense of teams with better records came up not so long ago iirc.
I might be wrong but I think the Seahawks crept into the playoffs with .500 record a few years ago.
Old 13.12.2018, 10:09 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Patriot View Post
I might be wrong but I think the Seahawks crept into the playoffs with .500 record a few years ago.
Yeah, 2010, they won the division at 7-9.
Old 13.12.2018, 10:27 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Patriot View Post
You are wrong the Seahawks have never got into the playoffs with a 0.500 record. We do things with style if we want to creep into the play-offs we do it with a 0.438 record (and then use home advantage to beat the 11-5 Saints.

The Titans do fit the second best record in the Conference and the Division, although the Colts also has a 13-3 record that Season the Jags had a better Conference record (I am assuming the tie breakers were the same then). Things were a little different with only 3 divisions so the Jags only had to have a better record than 2 division champs.

Actually my fantasy team did this last season, 16 team league in 4 divisions, I led throughout then last week of the regular season lost to my division rival who then beat me on H2H, went into the wild card week which was the last week of Zeke's suspension when I was hoping to have a week off and promptly lost
Old 13.12.2018, 11:53 PM
GOAT

its fine the way it is, people bring it up now and again but the system works overall.

anyway the best SB runs come with mainly road wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegpeg2 View Post
Actually my fantasy team did this last season, 16 team league in 4 divisions, I led throughout then last week of the regular season lost to my division rival who then beat me on H2H, went into the wild card week which was the last week of Zeke's suspension when I was hoping to have a week off and promptly lost

it happened to me this season, although i was pretty doomed, since having already lost Ajayi, then Hunt, i had both Connor and Johnson out injured.
(its a 14 team league too.)

Last edited by goodkarma84; 13.12.2018 at 11:57 PM.
Old 15.12.2018, 10:16 AM
Hall of Fame

In response to seedings it gets raised every year when a No5 seed has a better record than the divisional winners

To get rid of the seedings as they stand you may well rid the league of its divisions and instead replace them with 2x 16 groupings based on each conference. Divisional rivalries are the bedrock of the game & winning a division is hugely significant. Seedings should remain as they are to reflect that

The Seahawks defeat of the Saints in the 2010 playoffs acts as a reminder to those that wish to tinker with the current system
Old 15.12.2018, 03:31 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
In response to seedings it gets raised every year when a No5 seed has a better record than the divisional winners

To get rid of the seedings as they stand you may well rid the league of its divisions and instead replace them with 2x 16 groupings based on each conference. Divisional rivalries are the bedrock of the game & winning a division is hugely significant. Seedings should remain as they are to reflect that

The Seahawks defeat of the Saints in the 2010 playoffs acts as a reminder to those that wish to tinker with the current system
It depends if you want the best teams to progress in the play-offs or you want to maximise the chance of "shocks" (or to have as many divisions represented in the divisional play-offs).

I would use the 2010 Seahawks Saints gave as evidence for a change even though my team benefited from it. The Saints were a far better team than us but that advantage was cancelled out by the 12th man.

The same could happen this year, the Chargers and Chiefs are the best two teams in the AFC, if they win their remaining two Games the Chargers will have a road trip on wild card weekend possible to a freezing Cold Heinz field, if the weather is really brutal the Steelers could even be favourites for that.

Division rivalry will be maintained as long a you play your division rivals twice a season and I am not suggesting that division champions can fail to make the play-offs just that to have home field advantage they would need a better record than the wild-card teams.