The Official 2019 NFL draft discussion thread - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 23.04.2019, 05:10 PM
All Pro

Don’t get the Murray character concerns either - so he gave a poor interview on TV or two...it really doesn’t matter (and he was clearly being poorly advised at the time of the I think pro football talk interview? When they were clearly trying to make sure the baseball team didn’t want all his money back). There is nothing but praise and good things about him from his time with Oklahoma, and also, a baseball squad had no issue with his character to take him in the top 10 of their sporting draft last year....

Height - for me not an issue, he played with great huge hunking O-linemen at Oklahoma (quite a few of which will be drafted), and Murray is great at finding throwing lanes like a Drew Brees is.

His frame is a little concerning to me, he is a little slight - but he’s also only 21. Hardly finished developing, and because of the baseball stuff he wouldn’t have been trying to bulk up recently anyways.

I think what’s been overlooked throughout the process with Murray is just what an incredible thrower of the football he is. This isn’t a Lamar Jackson who clearly has accuracy and progression issues, this is a guy who sits in the pocket and can make all the throws, but if it’s clearly nothing on or not open, he can hit a home run on the ground too. For me he’s a better passer than Mayfield was this time last year

For me, you evaluate the player not some stats based on things from decades ago about smaller QBs. This is a different league to the 1990’s, heck even five-ten years ago, so I really do struggle to see what impact comparing to players who played them has

Last edited by Ollyrules; 23.04.2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 23.04.2019, 05:11 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam66 View Post
I'll be here throughout. Have always enjoyed following along with the forum during a draft and rather looking forward to it this year.

Preparing myself for the usual all-night wait for the Seahawks pick only for them to trade out of round one!
With them only having 4 picks (iirc) throughout the draft, it’d be a surprise to me if they didn’t trade out of #21 and back a bit!
Old 23.04.2019, 05:12 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterHayes View Post
And 10 - 20lbs of weight too don't forget.

I just can't get away from the stats: no QB under 6ft tall with the exception of Russell Wilson has won a Superbowl. How many QB's under 6ft have done anything in the last 25 years? 1?

Wilson was drafted in the 3rd Round for a reason. Interestingly one pundit at the time (it was Jon Gruden) said "the only issue with Russell Wilson is his height. That might be the reason he's not picked in the first couple rounds" and most evaluators, including those in Seattle lets not forget, had him pegged as a mid round 'maybe'. Murray should be seen through that prism IMO.

being unique isnt a bad thing, plenty of tall QBs get draft and really suck

and how much of an issue has Wilsons height been?

Baker and Brees are both 6ft not that much taller.
Old 23.04.2019, 05:46 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyrules View Post
With them only having 4 picks (iirc) throughout the draft, it’d be a surprise to me if they didn’t trade out of #21 and back a bit!
And as soon as I post this, Seattle has picked up pick #29 via the Frank Clark trade - might be worth staying up after all Liam!
Old 23.04.2019, 05:53 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
And as soon as I post this, Seattle has picked up pick #29 via the Frank Clark trade - might be worth staying up after all Liam!
29 is a prime pick to trade back from too.

A 1st and 2nd rd pick, not a bad return for the 63rd pick in the 2015 Draft.
Old 23.04.2019, 06:06 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
29 is a prime pick to trade back from too.

A 1st and 2nd rd pick, not a bad return for the 63rd pick in the 2015 Draft.
The second round pick is the one they got from the 49ers for Dee Ford, who wasn't really a fit as they are switching to a 4-3.
Old 23.04.2019, 06:08 PM
Team Captain

I think the Murray height issue does need to be considered. There are some throws where he clearly has to put the ball on a more up and down trajectory than taller QB's because of his height, so it clearly is a factor. Would those balls be more likely to get intercepted at the next level? Maybe. Does he have to move about sometimes because he can't get the lane? Certainly.

On the other hand he was a twice All-American in High School and a Heisman Trophy winner this past season. He has clearly worked out how to be very effective within those parameters. He's accurate in the pocket and on the move, has a fast release, can throw deep, can throw with velocity and is deadly with his legs. Does his height and build really outweigh all that?

He feels like the only QB in the draft who has much chance to be a high level guy in the league (while seeing Haskins as someone who can be an OK starter).
Old 23.04.2019, 06:19 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Nothing was going to stop me from doing this!

Am not surprised to hear this trade is going through. I thought we would make a deal involving Clark with someone this week. Exciting as it puts our focus even more heavily on the strong DE class.
Old 23.04.2019, 06:23 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffies View Post
The second round pick is the one they got from the 49ers for Dee Ford, who wasn't really a fit as they are switching to a 4-3.
I read it was the Chiefs lower 2nd rd pick, so you'd expect that to be their own rather than the 49ers'.

$105m, $63.5m guaranteed. 5 years.
Old 23.04.2019, 06:27 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
I read it was the Chiefs lower 2nd rd pick, so you'd expect that to be their own rather than the 49ers'.

$105m, $63.5m guaranteed. 5 years.
Still, seems a lot to give up for essentially a player swap.