Mikes co-host this season - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Old 12.12.2007, 12:06 PM
All Pro

Default Mikes co-host this season

He seems like a nice chap, but...

Practically every joke Carlson makes goes right over the top of his head! It is actually quite painful to watch at times. He is one of those people who answers a question before thinking!

If his mum is reading, feel free to leap to his defence!!!!
Old 12.12.2007, 12:19 PM
Hall of Fame

Default Re:Mikes co-host this season

I know a fellow Bear on here who will

tbh as the season has gone on he's grown on me and I think he's doing a fine job indeed. It seems to have been a presenter a season so far on five so i'm hoping Nat stays around for a while.
Old 12.12.2007, 01:20 PM
Hall of Fame

[quote author=payton3434 link=board=2;threadid=30853;start=0#msg804353 date=1197461177]

Practically every joke Carlson makes goes right over the top of his head! It is actually quite painful to watch at times. He is one of those people who answers a question before thinking!

[/quote]

It's painful indeed, but why call out Nat on it?

I blame Carlson for making such poor and obscure jokes that nobody would get. He is there to analyse the game and talk football, not to crack cheap gags.
Old 12.12.2007, 01:48 PM
All Pro

[quote author=Paul 34 link=board=2;threadid=30853;start=0#msg804397 date=1197465641]
[quote author=payton3434 link=board=2;threadid=30853;start=0#msg804353 date=1197461177]

[/quote]

I blame Carlson for making such poor and obscure jokes that nobody would get. He is there to analyse the game and talk football, not to crack cheap gags.
[/quote]

It is a matter of taste I guess. I would prefer Carlson to be on Sky so he could be around for the playoffs.

To be honest Halling and Gayle are wooden, kev fluffs every other line and Ian Allen can't read Emails!

I say give it all to Cecil!
Old 12.12.2007, 02:52 PM
All Pro

[quote author=Paul 34 link=board=2;threadid=30853;start=0#msg804397 date=1197465641]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed.

In many cases Carlson's cheap attempt at humour doesn't really encourage a response.

Mike also seems to get a kick out of using unsual words which Nat doesn't understand - he gets visibly excited by it. Carlson's constant reference to other teams running up a score (the bleatings of a 'victimised' Patriots fan) is just so repetitive that no wonder Nat stays silent.

On a recent broadcast, Mike even compared his college sweethearts to Chris Chambers!!! Lets be honest, what can anyone say to that?
Old 12.12.2007, 02:58 PM

[quote author=Old Mr T link=board=2;threadid=30853;start=0#msg804453 date=1197471170]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed.

In many cases Carlson's cheap attempt at humour doesn't really encourage a response.

Mike also seems to get a kick out of using unsual words which Nat doesn't understand - he gets visibly excited by it. Carlson's constant reference to other teams running up a score (the bleatings of a 'victimised' Patriots fan) is just so repetitive that no wonder Nat stays silent.

On a recent broadcast, Mike even compared his college sweethearts to Chris Chambers!!! Lets be honest, what can anyone say to that?
[/quote]

Could just say, "I didnt realise you swung both ways"
Old 12.12.2007, 03:18 PM
All Pro

[quote author=DrDarlo link=board=2;threadid=30853;start=0#msg804455 date=1197471520]
[quote author=Old Mr T link=board=2;threadid=30853;start=0#msg804453 date=1197471170]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed.

[/quote]

Could just say, "I didnt realise you swung both ways"
[/quote]

Very true....you're a TV natural

Nat did try and muster a witty retort, but Mike wasn't joking when he made the point and wouldn't be interrupted.

In all fairness, in an age where top athletes from most high profile sports rarely admit to bisexuality, it's refreshing to see a top sports presenter lay his cards on the table so to speak.

Whatever floats your boat Mike, everyone to their own - you're still OK with me.
Old 12.12.2007, 03:41 PM
Hall of Fame

Without exception, I will always watch five over Sky for the late games. I enjoy the laid back approach with a mix of analysis and humour.

But on occasion, I feel Nat and Mike need to be on the same page here. Often I notice Nat coming back from a game break and he goes straight to a 'humourous' e mail, when Mike has an important piece of analysis to make.

In contrast, there are also occasions when Nat will ask a good and relevant question, but Mike will ignore it in preference for making some wise crack about Suzy Kolber's choice of headwear that evening.

They clearly have a good rapport, but need to work on when it's the right time to joke and when it's the right time to be serious.
Old 13.12.2007, 12:20 PM
All Pro

Nat has grown on me and I continue to watch SNF/MNF on five, it breaks up Sunday's three games by hearing some different voices.

I like Cadle and Halling and the additions of Allen and Reynolds (plus Cecil and Shaun Gayle who are excellent when they're over here) have really improved the show. Still, i'd love to see Carlson on Sky's playoff coverage, he would bring a level of analysis to Sky that they haven't had since the Reinbold days. I brought this up on another thread before: I wonder if Carlson's stint on Sky covering the NFL/Baseball didn't end amicably and that's why he's never appeared on the playoff coverage?

One of my highlights of the season was Mike commenting on Marty 'Schadenfreude' Schottenheimer and Nat not having a clue what he meant. This actually got brought up on air a few weeks ago and Nat still had no idea.
Old 13.12.2007, 02:31 PM
All Pro

[quote author=masseyattack link=board=2;threadid=30853;start=0#msg804878 date=1197548406]
One of my highlights of the season was Mike commenting on Marty 'Schadenfreude' Schottenheimer and Nat not having a clue what he meant. This actually got brought up on air a few weeks ago and Nat still had no idea.
[/quote]

You wouldn't know a joke if it bit you on the bottom.