Mikes co-host this season - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Old 15.12.2007, 10:36 PM
All Pro

Default Re:Mikes co-host this season

[quote author=Tetters link=board=2;threadid=30853;start=15#msg806022 date=1197755795]
five's coverage is amazingly superior to sky's

better presenters - biggest difference
nicer studio
no ads
mike carlsons genius
nat represents those who dont know much about the nfl so he asks questions a lot of people will want to know which is helpful

what he said :

Quote:
Yeah but they are so relaxing to watch. It comes across as just two blokes having a chat on the sofa about the game, which is great. I really do enjoy fives coverage, a TV weekly highlight for me.
[/quote]

As i've pointed out before I watch Five's coverage over Sky's for SNF and MNF football, largely because I like Carlson's analysis and because there are no adverts.

But, in reference to the quote above. I don't see anyway the Five studio is 'nicer' they've got a clapped out old desk which needs a paint job and is used for NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA (and the wear and tear shows.) Sky's lighting also appears infinitely superior. To be honest, I quite like the suits on Sky, I don't think it creates a rigid atmosphere as opposed to a 'relaxed' one. I think there's as much 'chat' on Sky as there is on Five, if anything Five's coverage is more analytical than Sky's (and would therefore confuse the casual viewer.)
Old 16.12.2007, 02:50 PM
Starter

[quote author=masseyattack link=board=2;threadid=30853;start=15#msg806042 date=1197758218]
[quote author=Tetters link=board=2;threadid=30853;start=15#msg806022 date=1197755795]
five's coverage is amazingly superior to sky's

better presenters - biggest difference
nicer studio
no ads
mike carlsons genius
nat represents those who dont know much about the nfl so he asks questions a lot of people will want to know which is helpful

what he said :

Quote:
Yeah but they are so relaxing to watch. It comes across as just two blokes having a chat on the sofa about the game, which is great. I really do enjoy fives coverage, a TV weekly highlight for me.
[/quote]

As i've pointed out before I watch Five's coverage over Sky's for SNF and MNF football, largely because I like Carlson's analysis and because there are no adverts.

But, in reference to the quote above. I don't see anyway the Five studio is 'nicer' they've got a clapped out old desk which needs a paint job and is used for NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA (and the wear and tear shows.) Sky's lighting also appears infinitely superior. To be honest, I quite like the suits on Sky, I don't think it creates a rigid atmosphere as opposed to a 'relaxed' one. I think there's as much 'chat' on Sky as there is on Five, if anything Five's coverage is more analytical than Sky's (and would therefore confuse the casual viewer.)
[/quote]

I agree Skys studio is much more professional in appearance, but sometimes the crude effect just works better. Of course this but a matter of opinion, as is whose analysis is best. However I do feel that Fives approach is more down to earth, both due to Nats (or his predecessors) questions and comments, and Mike Carlsons more light hearted observations.
Old 17.12.2007, 12:10 AM
Pro Bowler

Using more lights does not make the lighting better or more professional.

After the practical issue of allowing you to see the subject, lighting is all about creating a mood. Both Sky and five aim to create a different style in their studios' which is in part reflected in the lighting which helps foster the kind of atmosphere they want. Sky being more authoritative and five more informal.

It is also worth bearing in mind that, originally at least, the format they each adopted was based on what would be more appropriate for the different times of day they were on air, and that as a paid service Sky would want to show that they are worth that money.

Neither is more professional, they are just different styles, and it is a matter of personal opinion which approach your prefer.

Michael.
Old 18.12.2007, 01:22 PM
Starter

It's been OK - they seem to get on well. NC seems genuinely interested and MC knows his stuff - I find much of it better than the commentary we see either on MNF or on the NFL website videos. I wonder if they don't just need a bit of stability rather than changing the front man every year.

[I know it's always said that everyone hated Frank Gifford way back when he present Channel 4 - am I alone in having enjoyed him as the front man? He really knew his stuff. ..... Sorry, showing my age.]

p.s. I like the video Inside the Huddle on this site with Nick H and Mike C - and Neil R - I wonder that Sky doesn't look at a package based around that. The current Sky package is terribly stiff, and not all that informative, notwithstanding Nick Halling's obvious knowledge.
Old 18.12.2007, 01:47 PM
All Pro

Although I don't think Nat seems comfortable and at ease and is obviously the companion. I would like to see continuity, so I hope he is back next season.
Old 18.12.2007, 08:53 PM
All Pro

Give me Mike and Nat anyday. I think the Sky guys personify smugness. Plus congrats CH5 for not showing adds every 5mins. When you think Sky has 3 presenters you would like to think they would have anything interesting to say but no.....lets go to another break. Sky Highlights are terrible as well. They dont like to show drives and seem to not show one of the 3 games. The Vikings game where Petersen broke NFL record wasnt even shown on highlights next day. Unforgivable IMO.
Old 18.12.2007, 10:41 PM
Pro Bowler

[quote author=RavenTD link=board=2;threadid=30853;start=15#msg805761 date=1197718877]
Nat has grown on me,and surprises me with his knowledge.

I think they are both working well together,and I don't fast forward the video anymore during timeouts.
[/quote]

I agree although it might be because Nat has grown himself. He surprises me with his knowledge too. Mike has a great knowledge of the NFL and College which is great.
As has been said they sometimes don't click together, but the last couple of games they've been really good. The set is a bit plain (and I noticed the NFL logo wobbling the othr night!!). But thats ok. I'd be more than happy if they were both there next year.
I don't have Sky, but I can't knock the coverage I've seen either.

If you are not old enough to have seen the Vicious Boys then maybe you have a right to complain But I saw them and boy did C4 get it wrong (Although I thought they were ok when they had nothing to do with football). Be thankful for great coverage of the NFL today, one may be better than the other, but at least it is a blurred line for many, but it is still good for all.
Old 19.12.2007, 01:36 AM
Rookie

[quote author=mwhite link=board=2;threadid=30853;start=0#msg805034 date=1197565152]
Everyone's entitled to an opinion but I'd love youto quantify your statement. What exactly makes it, in your eyes, 'an unwatchable mess'? Is it the professional camera work, high-quality lighting, smartly-dressed presenters (not meant as a slight on Mike & Nat btw) or the fact that they can keep going for 10 hours plus every Sunday night and then for a further 4 hours the next night?

I find it almost comical how so many people think they could do it better than the pro's but I'm guessing a lot of these 'experts' would fold under the pressure before the 'on-air' light had a chance to be turned on. [/quote]
I agree.

I can't believe the amount of whining on these boards as regards the TV coverage.

I wonder how the grumblers would have survived in the days of black and white television and no cable service!
[quote author=droach75 link=board=2;threadid=30853;start=0#msg805277 date=1197593754]
Thanks for brninging up Jeff Reinbold's name,,,a name i had forgotten, but not his face and enthusiasum for the game. I totally aggree he was one of best guests Sky Sports have had,,he was insightful and diffrent to guests before and since as he came at it from a coachs perspective
[/quote]
Jeff Reinbold is da man.
[quote author=payton3434 link=board=2;threadid=30853;start=0#msg804353 date=1197461177]
He seems like a nice chap, but...

Practically every joke Carlson makes goes right over the top of his head! It is actually quite painful to watch at times. He is one of those people who answers a question before thinking!

If his mum is reading, feel free to leap to his defence!!!![/quote]
Carlson keeps interrupting Nat; Mike feels threatened by the new kid in town and has to oppress Coombs' talent, otherwise Five will realise that he's dispensable and put the old dog out to pasture. It's all part of the Carlson conspiracy against Nat.
[quote author=Old Mr T link=board=2;threadid=30853;start=0#msg804453 date=1197471170]
Agreed.

In many cases Carlson's cheap attempt at humour doesn't really encourage a response.

Mike also seems to get a kick out of using unsual words which Nat doesn't understand - he gets visibly excited by it. Carlson's constant reference to other teams running up a score (the bleatings of a 'victimised' Patriots fan) is just so repetitive that no wonder Nat stays silent.

On a recent broadcast, Mike even compared his college sweethearts to Chris Chambers!!! Lets be honest, what can anyone say to that?
[/quote]
Observe the witty euphemism which, timely delivered, could have had the watching audience in stitches, rendered women amorous, propelled Nat's comedic career to new heights and satiated his thirst for fame, riches and stardom-the holy trinity for which he has yearned since the days of his youth...

Nat: What about Chris Chambers?
Mike: Well, I had girlfriends like that...
Nat: What? Black wide receivers?

*Audience stands, applauds and throws flowers on to the set*

Nat: Thank you! Thank you!
Mike: No! No! Don't applaud him! Applaud me! I'm the joker! I'm the comedian! I'm the star of the show! HOLT! THE TORY YOU CAN SUPPORT!
Old 19.12.2007, 12:09 PM
Starter

The reason I like the five coverage over Skys is because its cheap, informal, and doesn't take itself too seriously. Sky seem to make out the the NFL is some massive important sport in this country, whereas Nat (and Colin previously) and Mike have a laugh in some broom cupboard in the corner of the studio knowing that there's next to no-one watching.

I worry about Carlsson on the Beebs Superbowl Coverage, as I'm worried it might just seem wrong to find him in a well lit studio explaining what 3rd down means...
Old 19.12.2007, 12:20 PM
All Pro

[quote author=Oakland Raider link=board=2;threadid=30853;start=15#msg808716 date=1198028190]
Carlson keeps interrupting Nat; Mike feels threatened by the new kid in town and has to oppress Coombs' talent, otherwise Five will realise that he's dispensable and put the old dog out to pasture. It's all part of the Carlson conspiracy against Nat.
[/quote]

LOL!!!!!!!!