The modern history of the game in the UK and a proposal that the UK Hall of Fame - Page 8 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL in the UK

Old 27.03.2010, 02:48 PM
Rookie

@dj stevie c

Basically, BAFL where getting too big for their shoes, and wanted to split from the BAFA. The youth league is still running, just directly under BAFA now, rather than BAFL. So it is safe for the moment, as long as the teams move across to BAFA, which apparently most will.
Old 13.04.2010, 11:16 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eska View Post
@dj stevie c

Basically, BAFL where getting too big for their shoes, and wanted to split from the BAFA. The youth league is still running, just directly under BAFA now, rather than BAFL. So it is safe for the moment, as long as the teams move across to BAFA, which apparently most will.
That clears it up

Well that and speaking to someone in the London Warriors/Cobras organisation. Cheers for the info Eska.
Old 22.11.2010, 09:49 AM
Pro Bowler

I love reading about the earliest American football shown on our telly in the 70's.

I really intend to try and pin down when it was first shown and what was shown throughout the 70's/early 80's. There are many British TV history forums and websites where people have a frighteningly good knowledge of old TV and especially schedules, the latter of which are usually posted.

If I ever get around to it, I will try and update this thread.
Old 23.11.2010, 06:51 PM
Pro Bowler

The earliest mentions of it being shown I can find on there are:

Super Bowl V on WoS on Jan 23, 1971, and that the Rose Bowl was on Jan 3, 1970 .

World of Sport, January 22nd 1972, from 15.10 - 15.50, that would be Super Bowl VI.

Also on Jan 12, 1980 highlights of the Rose Bowl were on Grandstand and the NFC/AFC championships on WoS overlapping at 3pm.

Last edited by ayrshireman; 23.11.2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 23.11.2010, 09:49 PM
Pro Bowler

I have seen a claim that the CBS archive copy of Super Bowl VI has a missing portion - the end of the first half.

If ITV Sport retained these highlights it may contain this missing bit, or some of it.
Old 28.11.2010, 12:19 PM
Pro Bowler

A very quick flick through the archives suggests the first time the Superbowl was indeed shown on UK TV was in 1971, when World Of Sport showed 45 minutes of highlights. Then they showed highlights every year through until 1982, always on the following Saturday.

The other occasions when World Of Sport showed games – there were 15 minutes of highlights of San Diego v Buffalo (5th Oct) on 18 October 1980. In 1981, they did highlights of the play-offs the week before the Superbowl. And there were 45 minutes of an unspecified game on 21 November 1981.

The BBC showed highlights of the Rose Bowl on Grandstand in January 1979 and Sportsnight in January 1982.

And on 4 August 1984, Grandstand showed highlights of the USFL game at Wembley between Tampa Bay Bandits and Philadelphia Stars. Slightly bizarre, that one, given that it was in the middle of the Olympics, but they devoted a whole 80 minutes to it.

Last edited by ayrshireman; 28.11.2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 25.11.2012, 10:25 AM
All Pro

Only just wandered across to this thread, but a trip down memory lane for any Leicester Panthers or Birmingham Bulls supporters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EiZuxGWgxA
Old 04.02.2013, 01:52 PM
Team Captain

Some great stories here. During the off season I'm going to be using my blog to write a potted history of the sport in the UK - starting from the pre NFL days right up to the IS games.I've just written the first part. Please take a look and let me know what you think:

http://thenflintheuk.wordpress.com/

Last edited by siday38; 12.02.2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 26.10.2013, 09:11 PM
Pro

Default Olympians Rap

I used to own the London Olympians rap vinyl.

Lyrics went something like this after a commentator audio which began 'Deep kick taken on the goalline....

Now we're Olympians no nad or aso (no idea what these words were)
and this year we're gonna win the title
other teams you better be aware
this is gonna be the Olympians year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hainsey View Post
Did you know the Heathrow Jets actualy cut a record back in the late 80's i think i may have a copy still..if memory serves me right it was a rap.

Was it the first and only song to be done by a uk team?
Old 04.09.2015, 01:26 PM
Pro

ITV did bring NFL to the small screen. It featured the Superbowl during World of Sports and the first game I saw featured the undefeated Dolphins and focused on Larry Csonka, so that would date it into the early 70's.

As for the British game I used to visit the Greenwich Rams who originally played at Blackheath Rugby club and were supported by the LA Rams who helped with kit etc. I remember the USFL game at Wembley which was very poorly attended as I recall, certainly when compared to the Bears/Cowboys game.

In later years I attended all of the Monarchs games at Wembley and still have all the programmes together with a few sets of the player cards given out at the World bowl as well as the strange bandana that was handed out, The atmosphere at WB1 was still one of the best I have experienced at any event.

Last edited by paydirtdj; 04.09.2015 at 01:36 PM. Reason: want to add something to it.