Panthers thread - Page 48 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Carolina Panthers

Old 26.03.2008, 12:29 PM
Pro

Default Re:Panthers thread

[quote author=oglalakev link=board=1;threadid=8919;start=465#msg869095 date=1206534240]
[quote author=Zavala link=board=1;threadid=8919;start=465#msg869088 date=1206533304]
I watched NFL total access yesterday and on it was the Panthers in 'State of the Franchise'. Now, I remembered little of the actual content as it was the typical conjecture that I've heard all off-season (though I do like the potential pick of Chris Williams. A bit of a reach at 13 but I don't think the tackle we want will fall to our 2nd round pick) but what I did notice was that there was no member of the Panthers staff, playing or otherwise, to talk about themselves.

It seems to me that the Panthers always seem to get this same kind of half-arsed deal when it comes to the media. I'm sure that all of the previous 'State of the Franchise' features had a coach at least, if not the head coach discussing their team. I don't know why I'm bringing this to your attention, I suppose I just want to know if it's just me who thinks the Panthers get a bit of a bum deal or otherwise.
[/quote]

Most but not all, a few of them have been done without team representation, but it is true that the Panthers do not generally get a lot of air time on NFL Total access.
[/quote]

Maybe I wasn't so sure then. At least you agree on one aspect. I know the Panther's aren't the most fashionable of franchises and the have only been in the league a bit over a decade but, to me, they never seem to get parity of coverage, or even close to it.
Old 26.03.2008, 10:51 PM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to davlar Send a message via Skype™ to davlar

Couldn't agree with you more, man. We don't get nearly enough coverage, but sometimes it's better that way. The bottom line is that we are an under the radar team. Part of it is geographical and part of it is the expansion team bit. It's good because we creep up on people sometimes and become the surprise team (see 2003 Super Bowl run).
Old 26.03.2008, 11:31 PM
Pro

[quote author=davlar link=board=1;threadid=8919;start=465#msg869363 date=1206571888]
Couldn't agree with you more, man. We don't get nearly enough coverage, but sometimes it's better that way. The bottom line is that we are an under the radar team. Part of it is geographical and part of it is the expansion team bit. It's good because we creep up on people sometimes and become the surprise team (see 2003 Super Bowl run).
[/quote]

I was quite looking forward to John Fox being all optimistic (quite rightly, I think, depending on a solid draft, injuries and luck) but all we got was a couple of fairly clueless, uninteresting ex-players talking the usual obvious guff about the Panthers. Then I remembered it was Carolina we're talking about and admonished myself for thinking in that way. As i said, I liked the Williams pick but it's not like it was an epiphany from Fran Charles, just relaying information from elsewhere.

Mendenhall is having a private workout with us today. I don't know what to think about drafting him; he's obviously a very good prospect but we have glaring needs and it's a deep draft class at RB. We'll see.
Old 27.03.2008, 11:49 PM
All Pro

The Mendenhall workout situation intrigues me. I think it could be a smokescreen as there are a few teams below us possibly interested in drafting a RB. A possible trade down for us would be nice. We're just trying to bait them to trade up.

Isn't the pre-draft stuff so cool?
Old 28.03.2008, 07:07 PM
All Pro

We beefed up our offensive line yet again today. After the signing of G Toniu Fonoti, we have signed OL Milford Brown, who is quite versatile, apparently. This is another sign that we are reverting back to a power running game style when you look at this guy's size.
Old 28.03.2008, 07:16 PM
MVP

[quote author=davlar link=board=1;threadid=8919;start=465#msg870096 date=1206731256]
We beefed up our offensive line yet again today. After the signing of G Toniu Fonoti, we have signed OL Milford Brown, who is quite versatile, apparently. This is another sign that we are reverting back to a power running game style when you look at this guy's size.
[/quote] he is crap
Old 29.03.2008, 09:39 AM
Team Captain

D'you know...I really have no idea about how good many of these people that have been signed actually play...I read the news stuff on Yahoo and I think, yeah, he could be good...A lot of it is 'cause I'm, like, still relatively new to all this ;D ...

Aaanyways...Am I the only one that thinks they're building a team for just the one season?...They're all one and two year deals...I dunno...Is this a mistake?...I mean, I'll be happy enough if they walk all over everyone for the next couple of years, but then it'll be back to scrabbling around for decent players again...*shrug*...

Like I said, treat these as ramblings of the uneducated...But I'm - personally - excited at what's coming through...Should be fun... ;D ...

Old 29.03.2008, 01:24 PM
All Pro

[quote author=Robertbert link=board=1;threadid=8919;start=465#msg870234 date=1206783583]
D'you know...I really have no idea about how good many of these people that have been signed actually play...I read the news stuff on Yahoo and I think, yeah, he could be good...A lot of it is 'cause I'm, like, still relatively new to all this ;D ...

Aaanyways...Am I the only one that thinks they're building a team for just the one season?...They're all one and two year deals...I dunno...Is this a mistake?...I mean, I'll be happy enough if they walk all over everyone for the next couple of years, but then it'll be back to scrabbling around for decent players again...*shrug*...

Like I said, treat these as ramblings of the uneducated...But I'm - personally - excited at what's coming through...Should be fun... ;D ...

[/quote]

There is definitely reason to be excited. We have had quite possibly the most active offseason in our history. What we have done is underrated, in my opinion. Securing Hackett and Landon Johnson were big moves. We all know that we build through the draft, though, and that is what we will do.

Some of these offensive linemen we are signing to short term deals is a good idea, if you ask me. It means it's a low risk move and it wouldn't be difficult to cut them. I am very excited about us in 2008. The draft will be great to watch.
Old 19.04.2008, 05:40 AM
Team Captain

You've all seen the schedule for the new season yeah?...Anyone else undecided as to whether we should be terrified?...

I think that it should be an interesting season to say the least... ;D ...On the face of it it looks very tough, but going through it I think that most of the teams have too many off days for them to have a certainty of winning...Barring the Colts of course...I'm ignoring that last match against the Titans...Go Kerry Collins though!...

Aaanyways...

I'm pretty excited about watching it...Maybe this'll be the year?...Yay!!...Good time to be watching meself...

Oh btw...Got meself a Delhomme jersey!...YAY!!...Then I got a Keyshawn jersey too...Damn they look good... ;D ...
Old 23.05.2008, 08:47 AM
Pro

What does everyone think of the Panthers' prospects for this year then after the draft, offseason moves and schedule release?

Anyone got good NCAA knowledge and can give a bit of insight on Stewart, Otah, Connor, etc?

I'm fairly optimistic really, as long as Delhomme can stay healthy. I am looking forward to the solitary prime-time game at home to the Bucs on Mon 8 Dec, probably the only time we'll be on British tv this year.