Panthers thread - Page 97 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Carolina Panthers

Old 28.02.2014, 10:21 PM
Team Captain

Good news as you can't let someone as talented as the Kraken to go to free agency. However, even though I love him as player I would try and trade him.
Old 28.02.2014, 11:57 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGrimbeard View Post
Good news as you can't let someone as talented as the Kraken to go to free agency. However, even though I love him as player I would try and trade him.
Putting the franchise tag on Hardy makes sense. From the sounds of it he can get offer sheets from other teams, and if we don't match it, then we'd get two first round picks. That wouldn't be a bad exchange.

I wonder what Hardy's trade value is at the minute?

Got to admit I'm unsure. I'd like two say he would bring at least one high value pick, but it really is debatable as to what teams are willing to give up these days for players that will likely want a huge pay day.

Now maybe I shouldn't auggest this one, but I wouldn't be against a Hardy-Revis trade. If the Bucs want rid, maybe we could get an elite corner who is the best or next to at his position. Unlikely, and not sure if we could really afford his contract.

Personally I'd try to keep hold of Hardy, but I suppose as long as we can get a lot in return, trading him could be an alternative.
Old 10.03.2014, 09:09 PM
Pro

Reports that Smith has been put up for trade. Really hope it is not true but it looks very unlikely that he will be back next season and that anyone will trade for him with his $7m contract for next season. Would be a big loss
Old 10.03.2014, 10:35 PM
Team Captain

I think a trade looks unlikely however I think he will be cut. Also there are no more Steve Smith jersey's on the Panthers store.
Old 10.03.2014, 11:12 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGrimbeard View Post
I think a trade looks unlikely however I think he will be cut. Also there are no more Steve Smith jersey's on the Panthers store.
I just don't see the benefit in cutting Smith. If cut he accounts for $9 million in dead money, even split over two seasons it only gives us a saving of $2.5 million a season - not enough to replace him. Personally I think keeping Smith would be the best option, and draft a receiver or two, and bring back Ginn. However if Smith does go, hopefully Gettleman has a plan for the receiving core.

It will be sad to see Smith go, and it will be a big loss to the locker room. I can't wait to see how he tries to put a positive spin on it...
Old 11.03.2014, 09:49 AM
Starter

It does seem a bit of a curious one. And now this has come to light I see no way that he is retained. He will be cut most likely today, as that always follows the trade talk at this time of year. It's a shame that the end of his great career with Carolina will come to what will no doubt be an acrimonious end, but that's just how the NFL can be. At this time of year it's all business, and Smith is 34 with a big cap number.

This seems like a move that will hurt us a little now, but ultimately help us more down the line. Smith would be 35 next season, and his cap hit is $10m. That would be difficult to work with, especially if he continues to decline.

Also, to say we ONLY have a saving of $2.5m, last season that would have got you Mike Mitchell ($725k) Captain Munnerlyn ($1.1m) and Keenan Allan ($558k, picked 3rd round, 76th overall by the Chargers in the 2013 draft). Allan was in the top few vote getters for Offensive rookie of the year last season. I'm not saying that's a perfect example, it's not that easy, but you can get 3 solid contributors for your $2.5m.

Ultimately, it's all just business, but I do trust Gettleman.
Old 11.03.2014, 01:18 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesdaylad43 View Post
It does seem a bit of a curious one. And now this has come to light I see no way that he is retained. He will be cut most likely today, as that always follows the trade talk at this time of year. It's a shame that the end of his great career with Carolina will come to what will no doubt be an acrimonious end, but that's just how the NFL can be. At this time of year it's all business, and Smith is 34 with a big cap number.

This seems like a move that will hurt us a little now, but ultimately help us more down the line. Smith would be 35 next season, and his cap hit is $10m. That would be difficult to work with, especially if he continues to decline.

Also, to say we ONLY have a saving of $2.5m, last season that would have got you Mike Mitchell ($725k) Captain Munnerlyn ($1.1m) and Keenan Allan ($558k, picked 3rd round, 76th overall by the Chargers in the 2013 draft). Allan was in the top few vote getters for Offensive rookie of the year last season. I'm not saying that's a perfect example, it's not that easy, but you can get 3 solid contributors for your $2.5m.

Ultimately, it's all just business, but I do trust Gettleman.
That is a fair example, you can get solid players in for the $2.5 million saving, but with Smith gone the receiving core will consist of:
Tony Clemons
Tavarres King
Marvin McNutt
Kealoha Pilares
RJ Webb
None of these guys caught a pass last season, and I think between them they have five career catches. So there does not appear to be the solution to the team's problem at receiver on the roster, and in order to solve the problem that will mean heading out to free agency and using the draft well.

With that in mind, if Gettleman's plan is to rebuild the receiving core along these lines:
#1 Decker/Nicks.
#2 Kelvin Benjamin/Odell Beckham Jr.
#3 Kenny Britt/Denario Alexander/Lance Moore.
#4 Ted Ginn
#5 Donte Moncrief
#6 best from the current contracted receivers
Then that could be the upgrade that this receiving core needs. But I am not convinced that Gettleman will go down that route. For me, I think he will look to the draft and the bargain bucket. So hopefully we can hit the jackpot like the Chargers did with Keenan Allen, and then find some productive veterans that can contribute.

Maybe moving on and rebuilding the receiving core could benefit the Panthers more than keeping the old one together.
Old 11.03.2014, 02:54 PM
Rookie

Guys, Smitty isn't going anywhere. He is the heart of this team and community. His Jerseys were taken out of the team store because he wants to add "Sr" to the back, his son was just born.

This is all just PR, the media is taking this story and running with it, and with a guy like Steve Smith it quickly becomes a top story.
Old 11.03.2014, 04:54 PM
Starter

I do honestly think he will be a June 1st cut, but we will see.

As much as he has been around the franchise for so long, based on the pretty low level cap relief cutting him gives us over keeping him, it appears something has gone off behind the scenes at some stage that has made Gettleman sour on Smith. Whatever that happened to be, you don't put players you want to keep around on the trade block. When you consider the valid points Michael 975 made about how our WR corps look without Smith, whatever happened must have been pretty significant. Maybe we will find out in time, or maybe it really is all nothing.

Would appear that the Panthers front office are ready to move forward with Newton and Kuechly as the leaders on this team now. Also, lets not forget the reason some of these situations have to be so hard line, and that's the cap bind Hurney put us in. Moves like this are definitely a factor of the back end of his tenure.
Old 11.03.2014, 05:08 PM
Team Captain

I love Smitty but he is not worth $7m