Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Carolina Panthers

Old 13.03.2014, 09:30 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleassault View Post
Hixon has gone to bears.

Ginn is visiting with tampa.

how are we in re-build mode again?!
I think the receiving core has needed a rebuild for a while, and that is partly our previous GM's fault. After all, we haven't had a true #1 and #2 since the days of Steve Smith and Muhsin Muhammad. Instead, the team has had to get by on Steve Smith and a below par supporting cast.

What I hope comes from this is an improved receiving core. Gettleman needs to find a new #1 and #2 combination, and find good players to support them. I don't know what route he will take, but if the rumours are true the team could go hard for Hakeem Nicks. If we landed him, and could draft a guy like Kelvin Benjamin, then that could be a potentially exciting #1 and #2 combination. Then all he would need to do is find a solid slot receiver, a new kick and punt returner, and some receivers to support them (probably the guys currently on the roster).
Old 13.03.2014, 10:34 PM
Team Captain

Munnerlyn and Ginn have gone now too. Gettleman will wait until the frenzy dies down a bit and then try to find players at their market value and not overspend - just like last year.

Even though I really wanted Munnerlyn, Ginn and Mitchell to be retained we are cap challenged and I don't think they are worth the contracts they are being given. (Captain 3 years $15m, Ginn 3 years $9.75m, Mitchell 5 years $25m)
Old 14.03.2014, 09:22 AM
Starter

Couple of spot on posts Michael, great reading. The more I think about it, the more a scenario plays in my head that maybe DG saw an opportunity to take on the biggest dog in the yard and show everyone he's the boss. I mean, if he is willing to cut Smith, then who on the roster is going to think they are safe? I'm not sure if that was his motivation here, but it keeps coming up in my head.

Munnerlyn, Ginn also moved on. Only way we keep players like that is on a contract like last season. And given their production, they were always going to get a pay raise from someone. The only person I might want to pay the money to was Mitchell, but I wouldn't want it over 5 years, probably 3. Ginn and Munnerlyn have done well to get what they have.

I think we are quite likely to try and get 2 starting WRs from a deep draft, perhaps 1 or 2 free agents. Which really excites me. Then I think about the fact we don't have an offensive line right now, and it all goes up in the air again!!
Old 14.03.2014, 10:05 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesdaylad43 View Post
LaFell isn't irreplaceable by any means, and neither is Ginn. Have to think we draft a WR that we believe we can contribute straight away (1st round? Even trade up?), make a play at someone like Nicks or Rice, then see what lower level players are available like we did last season with Ginn. If you want a KR/WR man, both Josh Cribbs and Devin Hester are on the market. Jacoby Ford is out there, total burner, Lance Moore, Heyward-Bey, James Jones, Emmanuel Sanders, even someone like Kenny Britt could do a job if you keep his head on right. There is talent out there, and I think DG is very well placed to give us the players we need at a price we can afford.
Forgive me for jumping another teams thread. I come in peace. I like Carolina, I think Cam is awesome but I can't help but think, "poor Cam"

Currently you have a group of WRs who either have never played anything other that ST or have a few snaps. Then you look at the list of remaining available WRs and aside from James Jones, none strike me as starters.

Sure a few of them in the right role on the right team would be productive but right now you guys need to draft one or 2 WRs early and maybe get Jones or Nicks (Urgh) just to even compete.

Thing is you guys are tight against the cap and have other holes too. Oline?

I don't know what's gone on but if this were my team I'd be feeling pretty confused and worried right now. I feel for you as like I said, I like the panthers

Sorry to butt in
Old 14.03.2014, 10:13 AM
Starter

I think we all enjoy talking to other fans, it's not a "Panthers Only" zone, so welcome!

I'd imagine Cam is seriously scratching his head. Great season, looking to push on. Suddenly he has nobody to catch his passes, and nobody to block for him!

I think the thing for me, is we didn't look in great shape last season either, but suddenly pieces that were brought in cheaply started to gel, and things got better and better. It would appear DG is going to try and do the same again until the cap situation improves. Risky business though.

You wouldn't call Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, Ted Ginn, Dominic Hixon a dominant WR corp either, but we were still competitive last season. But that isn't really our game either. We aren't Denver, and we don't throw it 60 times a game. I still have faith it will all pan out for us, but I understand that at present, the situation looks a bit grim!
Old 14.03.2014, 11:57 AM
Team Captain

I also feel somewhat sorry for what Cam is facing this season. He has witnessed his pro bowl left tackle retire, his receiving core blown up, and seen some pieces from the defence and special teams let go. So parts of this team need rebuilding, and that could have an effect on how competitive this team can be this season.

When Gettleman was hired, he said that the elephant in the room with Cam is the fact that the Panthers had finished 6-10 and 7-9 respectively, and that the aim for year three was to win. Cam did just that by helping to lead us to a division title and the second seed in the NFC. In an ideal world the aim would be to strengthen the team and to take that next step towards the conference championship, and then to the Super Bowl itself. But will that happen this season with the moves that need to be made?

I'm not sure. The team needs are a new receiving core, left tackle, possible upgrade at guard, and upgrades at corner and safety. With that in mind, Gettleman is going to need to hit a number of home runs in the draft, and find some gems in UDFA and FA. Now that can happen, but I think there will be a transitional period, and this team might go backwards next season. With the intention being to put it in a position where the new talent can develop into the players that can help this team become a perennial play off team.

Now this mini rebuild got me thinking about the Cam's potential contract extension, and what effects it could have on what Gettleman might offer next off season. Now if this mini rebuild results in the team returning to 6-10 or 7-9, would that give Gettleman the upper hand in contract extensions with Cam next off season (i.e. keep the cost down to the $90 million to $100 million range)? Or will Cam Newton hold all the cards and get a huge pay day regardless of how next season goes (i.e. like Tony Romo and Jay Cutler)?
Old 14.03.2014, 12:18 PM
Team Captain

Cam seems the sort of guy who would come out and say that he wants to win. This sounds - and almost certainly is I'm sure - a ridiculous thing to suggest, but if the Panthers slipped to the bottom of the NFC South this year he might break the mould in saying that he doesn't care about the money, he wants to be part of a team that's heading for super bowls.

Not sure what Carolina are up to but just as they appeared to be jumping forward theyve leapt back. Probably should have picked up on the sense of foreboding when they were messing around with multiple huge running back contracts though a year or two ago.
Old 14.03.2014, 12:25 PM
Hall of Fame

I hate what you have done this off season.
I like the team
but dislike Cam due to his college scandal.
However it seems like he is being left hung out to dry.
Old 14.03.2014, 01:07 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesdaylad43 View Post
You wouldn't call Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, Ted Ginn, Dominic Hixon a dominant WR corp either, but we were still competitive last season. But that isn't really our game either. We aren't Denver, and we don't throw it 60 times a game. I still have faith it will all pan out for us, but I understand that at present, the situation looks a bit grim!
a fair arguement for sure and IF you can add Nicks or Jones. Maybe a Moore and Ford and grab a WR in the 2nd, you never know, youll prob have a similar WR core to last year in terms of talent

Big IF though
Old 14.03.2014, 09:13 PM
Pro

Smith signs for the ravens meaning we will be playing against him next season away from home. Anderson signed up for the next 2 years as a back up to Cam and also brought someone in at TE (cant remember his name at the moment). Really need to kick it up in to gear to get a WR in soon.