What to expect at Wembley this year? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Old 27.03.2012, 06:14 PM
Rookie

Default What to expect at Wembley this year?

So I recently moved to the UK from the US. Never had the opportunity to see my Patriots play live as the tickets at Foxboro were sold out years in advance. It's kind of ironic now that I've moved here I have the opportunity. Anyways, I've gathered that there is typically live music at the event, and also some pregame tailgating. Is there any opportunity for fans to get autographs or meet any of the players? You wouldn't normally get the opportunity in the US, but given that this is somewhat special hopefully the players make an effort. So if any of you that have been can give me some insight I would surely appreciate it.
Old 27.03.2012, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not aware of any designated player meet & greets, but I may be wrong. However, your best bet is to join the UKPats fan club as I think
they are planning various Patriot specific events and in the past fan clubs have been able to get access to players and watch private
team practices.

I know there was some talk a while ago of a flag game being organised again this year with Pats fans against Rams fans, which again, in the past, have also attracted players and NFL media personnel.

http://ukpatriots.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

I made also a post in a different thread a while back which may be helpful to you as a general overview of the weekend's events:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt55555 View Post

There have been no announcements yet confirming any events for sure, but it's almost certain that there will be a number of events.

Last year for the first time there was an evening event in Trafalgar Square called "Friday Night Lights". Last year the focus was the outdoor screening of "Jerry Macguire", with star of the film Cuba Gooding Jr making an appearance.

For the last couple of years there has been a "Fan Rally" on the Saturday, again in Trafalgar Square. There's food, merchandise stands, inflatable football skills games and a main stage with cheerleader performances, appearances by NFL stars, etc.

On the Saturday night there is also an unofficial (but very popular) evening event at the Green Man pub as the start of the "Great British Tailgate Party" - food, beer and animated snail racing, what more could you ask for?

Then on the Sunday the Green Man hosts the main part of their tailgate with more beer, a BBQ, music and the like. More info here:

http://www.gbtp.co.uk/

Also on the Sunday is the official tailgate in the car park beside Wembley. There are a number of events throughout the day - cheerleaders, fan games, more NFL stars, music performances. There are also food/drink/merch tents. And then there are a number of corporate sponsors with tents usually giving away freebies, etc. There are also 'Hall of Fame' like tents with various NFL memorabilia - Super Bowl Rings, game worn jerseys and the Lombardi trophy.

Once inside the stadium there will also be the player intros, British and US national anthems and a pre-game music act - last year was the Goo Goo Dolls, the year before My Chemical Romance.

So, in short, there's quite a bit going on!
Old 27.03.2012, 07:21 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjamin View Post
So I recently moved to the UK from the US. Never had the opportunity to see my Patriots play live as the tickets at Foxboro were sold out years in advance. It's kind of ironic now that I've moved here I have the opportunity. Anyways, I've gathered that there is typically live music at the event, and also some pregame tailgating. Is there any opportunity for fans to get autographs or meet any of the players? You wouldn't normally get the opportunity in the US, but given that this is somewhat special hopefully the players make an effort. So if any of you that have been can give me some insight I would surely appreciate it.
You're more likely to get autographs and meet legends rather than current players. I got to say a quick hi to Jerry Rice and John Elway at the Broncos-49ers game, and last year the 1985 Bears team were out in force.

I hope you enjoy it There's a lot of stuff going on over the weekend but a lot will probably seem bizarre to you. The sheer variety of fans is mind-boggling; almost all NFL fans in the UK are knowledgeable because following a sport like American Football requires a great deal more passion and enthusiasm abroad. So at Wembley you'll see a lot of people who know a lot about the sport and are very passionate about their own teams - the sea of multi-coloured jerseys will be evidence enough. Then there are the fans who are pretty new to it all.

I'm not sure how the actual game experience compares. From what I can gather we make quite a lot of noise at Wembley but I expect the crowd is loudest at very different moments than you're used to. We appreciate good plays but if a team is running it up the gut a lot or missing passes then we can get quiet pretty quickly. A lot of this is attributed to not just the variety in the fanbase but also, I suspect, because by game time most people are pretty knackered out from a busy weekend!

So expect a festival type event. I think you'll really enjoy it, you'll get a little taste of home from home. If the Cowboys begin losing their game on the night and we see highlights expect some cheers from the crowd, we seem to have inherited a universal pleasure in booing them
Old 28.03.2012, 06:38 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunavium View Post
You're more likely to get autographs and meet legends rather than current players. I got to say a quick hi to Jerry Rice and John Elway at the Broncos-49ers game, and last year the 1985 Bears team were out in force.

I hope you enjoy it There's a lot of stuff going on over the weekend but a lot will probably seem bizarre to you. The sheer variety of fans is mind-boggling; almost all NFL fans in the UK are knowledgeable because following a sport like American Football requires a great deal more passion and enthusiasm abroad. So at Wembley you'll see a lot of people who know a lot about the sport and are very passionate about their own teams - the sea of multi-coloured jerseys will be evidence enough. Then there are the fans who are pretty new to it all.

I'm not sure how the actual game experience compares. From what I can gather we make quite a lot of noise at Wembley but I expect the crowd is loudest at very different moments than you're used to. We appreciate good plays but if a team is running it up the gut a lot or missing passes then we can get quiet pretty quickly. A lot of this is attributed to not just the variety in the fanbase but also, I suspect, because by game time most people are pretty knackered out from a busy weekend!

So expect a festival type event. I think you'll really enjoy it, you'll get a little taste of home from home. If the Cowboys begin losing their game on the night and we see highlights expect some cheers from the crowd, we seem to have inherited a universal pleasure in booing them
Ahh nice one. Best I've ever done was managed to get autographs from the Dallas Cowboys (grew up a fan because of where I was born) from Troy Aikman, Deion Sanders, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin. It's no surprise fans tend to get quiet during the game here. I'm sure it's a mixture of more casual fans, not really fully understanding the rules of the game, and obviously fans that have no ties to either team. Similiar to english football fans, you enjoy being around likeminded fans. But, overall I do expect a good time. Plus, I wouldn't of gotten this close to the field if I was surrounded by likeminded fans. If the New England Patriots are coming to town, tickets are sold as soon as its announced.
Old 28.03.2012, 11:37 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donjamin View Post
Ahh nice one. Best I've ever done was managed to get autographs from the Dallas Cowboys (grew up a fan because of where I was born) from Troy Aikman, Deion Sanders, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin. It's no surprise fans tend to get quiet during the game here. I'm sure it's a mixture of more casual fans, not really fully understanding the rules of the game, and obviously fans that have no ties to either team. Similiar to english football fans, you enjoy being around likeminded fans. But, overall I do expect a good time. Plus, I wouldn't of gotten this close to the field if I was surrounded by likeminded fans. If the New England Patriots are coming to town, tickets are sold as soon as its announced.
Hi Donjamin- The crowd "get quiet" because they DO know what is happening, BUT out of say 80,000 "bums on seats" only maybe 7,000 will be Pat fans, (and this year) 5,000 Rams- the OTHER 68,000 are there for their love of the game! And believe me we ENJOY the game but WITHOUT a fanatical partisan nature that you would get at ANY HOME game in the US.

Also, and this is hard to understand- Wembley has such good acoustics that from your seat it "SEEMS" quiet- but when you watch the game coverage- you keep thinking where did all that noise come from ?

I have been to every game so far- and to back up was has already been said about the crowd- yes ALL 32 teams jerseys will be there!
Old 28.03.2012, 09:17 PM
All Pro

If you hang around a bit after you might get to see some players, or if you find out where they are training. If you're stuck send your gear to Foxboro asking for a signature and they might help you out!
Old 28.03.2012, 10:36 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer#95 View Post
If you hang around a bit after you might get to see some players, or if you find out where they are training. If you're stuck send your gear to Foxboro asking for a signature and they might help you out!
Indeed, here is my son with Josh Freeman whilst we attended the Bucs training session in 2011.

Old 29.03.2012, 10:04 AM
Hall of Fame

Don't think anything has been finalised, but last time there was a Sat night party hosted by the UKPatriots, and was attended by quite a few motables, Robert Kraft, Troy Brown...

Didn't manage to get there last time, but will try to get to it this year.
Old 30.03.2012, 10:59 AM
Starter

pervybuc, where were the Bucs training? I would love to see the Pats train and maybe meet some of the players
Old 30.03.2012, 02:26 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by senor_chang View Post
pervybuc, where were the Bucs training? I would love to see the Pats train and maybe meet some of the players
Senor_chang There is really no point in asking Pervy where the Buccs were "training"- by the time that he had managed to lever his Moby Dick sized carcass out of his car-and then waddled across the 10 yards between the car-park and the pitch,- practice was over !

His son had to tell him all about it !