Are the BBC Trying to Hide the Fact That ESPN (US) Provide the MNF Coverage? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Old 11.10.2012, 09:27 PM
Rookie

Default Are the BBC Trying to Hide the Fact That ESPN (US) Provide the MNF Coverage?

First off, I am grateful that I can watch MNF for free (thanks to the BBC). But I do find their coverage slightly annoying. They seem to be trying their best to hide the fact that ESPN (US) provide the pictures and commentary. On the bottom left hand corner (of the screen) they have covered the ESPN logo with the BBC Sport one. Also whenever Mike Tirico and Chris Berman or Lisa Salters appear on screen they show another picture. What's the point!? Surely everyone knows that ESPN provide the coverage! Channel 4 doesn't hide NBC and when I use to have Sky Sports they didn't hide the fact that their coverage was from CBS and Fox.
Old 11.10.2012, 09:45 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio_ View Post
First off, I am grateful that I can watch MNF for free (thanks to the BBC). But I do find their coverage slightly annoying. They seem to be trying their best to hide the fact that ESPN (US) provide the pictures and commentary. On the bottom left hand corner (of the screen) they have covered the ESPN logo with the BBC Sport one. Also whenever Mike Tirico and Chris Berman or Lisa Salters appear on screen they show another picture. What's the point!? Surely everyone knows that ESPN provide the coverage! Channel 4 doesn't hide NBC and when I use to have Sky Sports they didn't hide the fact that their coverage was from CBS and Fox.
glad to know I'm not the only one who finds that annoying, I have virgin media and it just seems to bring up the buffering logo all the time in and out of the video, just watch it on gamepass now to avoid the small grievances
Old 11.10.2012, 10:17 PM
Rookie

Yeah, some TV companies get a bit tetchy as to how they get their satellite coverage, for example, the IPL 20-20 cricket season from India was covered by ITV4, but, the TV rights are held and screened by Indiatimes.com, I think it is, and ITV4 tried to disguise this fact by making their logo all blurry in the corner of the screen, for the whole of every live match, totally unnecessary, but, it's what the British TV Directors want, so, the viewer has to put up with it.
Old 12.10.2012, 12:00 PM
All Pro

Maybe they don't want to give ESPN a free advert on the BBC, which probably isn't allowed.

The other games are different, NBC, CBS and Fox aren't officially available in the UK so Sky and C4 aren't bothered.

Last edited by Jonny73; 12.10.2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12.10.2012, 01:09 PM
All Pro

Sometime when they show the MNF logo it says ESPN and surely they should just blank it out rather that put a bbc sport logo on it What with the dogdy editing and screen graphics and my fav net points on the standings
Old 14.10.2012, 12:25 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio_ View Post
The whole MNF coverage is awful. really unprofessional and another nail in the UKs coverage this year.
Old 14.10.2012, 12:49 PM
Starter

Yeah, all posts are spot on. ESPN is a brand, and the BBC would infringe its own non-advertising regulations otherwise

Although I do see many BBC presenters holding a shiny new iPad when hosting a show...!
Old 14.10.2012, 01:32 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbully View Post
The whole MNF coverage is awful. really unprofessional and another nail in the UKs coverage this year.
And yet without it, MNF wouldn't be (legally) available beyond Gamepass.
Old 14.10.2012, 11:41 PM
Team Captain

While I'm glad that we at least have a way to watch MNF this year, I really hope that next season if it has to be on terrestrial TV that Channel 4 show it along with SNF.
Old 15.10.2012, 04:56 PM
Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizuku no Lew View Post
While I'm glad that we at least have a way to watch MNF this year, I really hope that next season if it has to be on terrestrial TV that Channel 4 show it along with SNF.
Don't know if they'd be able to afford both, Channel 4 is buying more and more Horse Racing from the BBC, Sky, etc

Their NFL coverage would have to be crammed full of adverts and sponsorship; though it was sponsored partly last year but only for about half of the Season

Tags
bbc , espn