Gameday Thread - Page 22 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 12.01.2014, 11:24 PM
Team Captain

Seems like the right people were held accountable. I think fans tend to forget how many Coaches are on both sides of the ball. Cutler spends more time working with Cavanaugh than he does with Trestman. Same with the Offensive line with Kromer. Defense works the same way.

When you look at technique breakdowns and mental mistakes of a group that are not being corrected, the position coach should be the 1st person to look at. most fans are only familiar with the Big Coaches and forget that each position has it's own coach.
Old 13.01.2014, 01:34 PM
All Pro

Yep, when in a tight spot throw a couple of assistants under the bus. Tucker survived that catastrophe... I need a little sit down

The injuries are a feeble but convenient excuse, I saw terrible positioning, an utter lack of awareness and worst of all no hustle or energy.

'9ers vs Hawks that was D energy and enthusiasm.

McCellen backed Tucker apparently, a fine endorsement...
Old 14.01.2014, 08:52 PM
Team Captain

Not the change(s) I was expecting but something had to be done.
Phair was a holdover from Lovie, surely Tucker will now run his own scheme? Either way it's a year to prove himself.

Any more talk of us going to a 3-4?

Last edited by Staley; 14.01.2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: 3-4?
Old 15.01.2014, 12:23 PM
Team Captain

Yea there is talk of us still switching to a 3-4 and press and fan speculation actually indicate it will be this year.

Looking more in depth at what will be on our roster after the cuts etc we have the tools to make that change a number of our players have played and know the 3-4 system so it wouldn't be a massive issue. If you examine the taps of the last 3-4 games we actually dropped the Tampa 2 and you can see a bit more of what tucker is going to be all
About next year
Old 16.01.2014, 07:48 PM
Starter

I'm in two minds about switching to a 3-4. I do think it's time for a change in approach with all the Tampa-2 players now in their mid-thirties...but a lot of the reasoning I've heard for switching to a 3-4 is that it'd suit McClellin more. Switching the entire outlook of the defense to suit one player because he's been a bust in one of the two positions he can play sounds like a bad idea to me. There's no guarantee he'll be any better as a pass-rushing OLB in the NFL.

Then there's the D-line. I think we should cut or try and trade Peppers if he won't drastically reduce his contract. If he stays will he be effective in a 3-4? Maybe, apparently he wanted to move to a 3-4 D before joining the Bears, but maybe not. Melton isn't suited to playing NT, would he make a good DE in a 3-4 D...would he be happy doing that? Corey Wootton probably does have the ability to play DE in a 3-4 and, along with Jay Ratcliffe, is one of the surer propositions if we make the switch.

The best scenario (discounting the draft and FA) is a D-line of Melton - Ratcliffe - Wootton with Peppers switching in and out and maybe playing a little OLB himself along with McClellin. If everything works out right that could be a very formidable force but there's certainly no guarantees that it will.

Then again it couldn't possible be worse than last years defense...could it?
Old 16.01.2014, 08:25 PM
Team Captain

Peppers is gone, Phil is dropping his sorry butt like a bad habit.

It makes sense. Look...Washington, and McClellin played some LB in college. Bass and Ozugwu have prototypical 3-4 LB size. Wootton is up to 300lbs. Melton was a college DE. Landon Cohen played end with the Cowboys before he came here. Paea is the same size as Glenn Dorsey who plays nose for the Niners. Or...we have a multiple time pro bowl nose tackle in Jay Ratliff right there too.
Old 16.01.2014, 10:52 PM
Team Captain

I'm just kinda thinking out loud and doing a bit of digging but some realistic/cheaper names I've come across.... Think the lists were fairly up to date....

Looking at D-linemen available in FA there's 3 from GB that could do a job-if we switch to 3-4 of course.

I think Raji will want too much money, especially if Paea or Ratliff play NT, but Jolly and Wilson could be interesting on smaller contracts, especially against the run.
Or Ziggy Hood from the Steelers.
The few mock drafts I've seen have us taking a DL or S so far however...

If we don't keep DJ Williams our LB could be very young...
Dansby played ILB in a 3-4 at Arizona and Pat Angerer always stood out when I've seen him play.

If we stick with 4-3, names that have been mentioned include Bennett, Hardy and Orakpo as a DE, but they are linked with anyone with cap space!

I think Wesley Woodyard is a good LB too.
At safety I guess Byrd would be the biggest pickup, but I like TJ Ward a lot.

Any thoughts?
Old 16.01.2014, 10:54 PM
Team Captain

Ok that looks like it was a complete waste of time! Have a read.....

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...r-henry-melton

Only one source of course but the most definitive I've seen either way.
Old 16.01.2014, 10:57 PM
Team Captain

According to 670 the Score this morning, Bears have hired Paul Pasqualoni to be their LB's coach.

Paul Pasqualoni

Looks like a strong hire for the Bears played 3-4 at
Miami and a complete 180* from Tibesar.