Premier League Thread - Page 2981 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 05.11.2017, 05:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle Eagle View Post
Which league would you say is the best? And what is more important a larger number of competitive teams across the board or a few teams which can compete at the top and the rest of the team being able to compete against each other at a similar level?
The PL title is more open than in Spain, Italy, France or Germany, but the strength throughout the league falls well short of Spain and probably equal of Germany and Italy which for the money the PL teams spend is criminal

The issue is that there are far too many below average sides, simply looking to survive as Lee states. There's very little inventive or innovative coaching on display to get the best out of limited players. I don't see any real stand out players in any team in the bottom half.

A good Coach who hits on a successful system is a rare thing. Currently Wagner or Dyche are the standouts.
Old 06.11.2017, 12:04 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post
with 4 games on sunday the MOTD running order did look pretty bare.

think there are a lot of teams who are just happy to survive in the premier league which maybe adds to lots of teams going away from home and just sitting deep and hoping to get a goal on the counter.

reports that after Bilic goes(Moyes with Phil Neville as his #2),Clement and Pulis could be next.West Brom should have known that Pulis can only take a team so far but if they sack him he will be in a job in no time.
This is why Americans who say "I wish we had relegation in our sports" should be very careful what they wish for. The reality of the Premier League is that the chief aim of approximately half the league is simply to stay in it. And next season it will be the same again. It's pretty depressing when you think about it. There was a conversation on Football Weekly a few weeks back about what the point is of supporting West Brom (no ambition except to stay up, which they will, dull football) and you see where they are coming from. The idea should be that you stay up a few seasons, build up the team and then you should be able to make a push for trophies. But the teams like that don't. Come league cup and FA cup they just field weakened teams so that they can concentrate on staying in the league. It's depressing, really.

On which is the best league, I think that's a hard question to answer because teams from different leagues only play each other at the top end. The bottom teams are pretty uninspiring in the Premier League but I'm not sure it's that different in any of the other big 4 European leagues really.

I think the strength in depth top to bottom is probably greatest in the Premier League, but then given those clubs have multiple times more money than their equivalents in the other leagues then so it should be. But they are still clearly some way short of the big six teams (the table is already set) even if you do get the odd upset sometimes, or a huge upset with Leicester. If you look at say France, PSG seem to be winning 4 or 5-0 every game: that wouldn't be possible in England as while the rest are some way behind the top six, the difference is not as great as in some of the other countries.

That said, at the very top it has been clear for a few years now that no English team is in the top 3 or 4 in Europe. Let's see if this current Man City squad can make a mark, but Bayern, Real and Barca have been superior and PSG are aiming at it. It may help those teams that their leagues seem to be somewhat easier so they may be less tired when it comes to Europe. Is the Premier League the hardest to win? Yes and no. You could say that La Liga is harder as there is literally zero room for error between the top 2. And of course if you aren't the top 2 it's harder still. With the Premier League there are currently more viable contenders, although let's not forget that Liverpool and Spurs have never won the Premier League and Arsenal not for 13 years, but that also means you can afford to drop a few points here and there because likely so will your rivals.
Old 06.11.2017, 12:06 AM
MVP

English clubs throw money away. It's true that when a Premier League club comes knocking, the price rockets and they'll still pay it. Spurs sold Kevin Wimmer for West Brom for £15m! I couldn't believe it. He barely played. If the only suitors were clubs from other countries I bet nobody would have offered more than £5m.
Old 06.11.2017, 07:32 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
This is why Americans who say "I wish we had relegation in our sports" should be very careful what they wish for. The reality of the Premier League is that the chief aim of approximately half the league is simply to stay in it. And next season it will be the same again. It's pretty depressing when you think about it. There was a conversation on Football Weekly a few weeks back about what the point is of supporting West Brom (no ambition except to stay up, which they will, dull football) and you see where they are coming from. The idea should be that you stay up a few seasons, build up the team and then you should be able to make a push for trophies. But the teams like that don't. Come league cup and FA cup they just field weakened teams so that they can concentrate on staying in the league. It's depressing, really.

On which is the best league, I think that's a hard question to answer because teams from different leagues only play each other at the top end. The bottom teams are pretty uninspiring in the Premier League but I'm not sure it's that different in any of the other big 4 European leagues really.

I think the strength in depth top to bottom is probably greatest in the Premier League, but then given those clubs have multiple times more money than their equivalents in the other leagues then so it should be. But they are still clearly some way short of the big six teams (the table is already set) even if you do get the odd upset sometimes, or a huge upset with Leicester. If you look at say France, PSG seem to be winning 4 or 5-0 every game: that wouldn't be possible in England as while the rest are some way behind the top six, the difference is not as great as in some of the other countries.

That said, at the very top it has been clear for a few years now that no English team is in the top 3 or 4 in Europe. Let's see if this current Man City squad can make a mark, but Bayern, Real and Barca have been superior and PSG are aiming at it. It may help those teams that their leagues seem to be somewhat easier so they may be less tired when it comes to Europe. Is the Premier League the hardest to win? Yes and no. You could say that La Liga is harder as there is literally zero room for error between the top 2. And of course if you aren't the top 2 it's harder still. With the Premier League there are currently more viable contenders, although let's not forget that Liverpool and Spurs have never won the Premier League and Arsenal not for 13 years, but that also means you can afford to drop a few points here and there because likely so will your rivals.

well i suppose we could just reward the worst teams with the best new players

relegation gives everything an extra edge, teams should move on and fight for cups some never feel that safe.

most systems work for there sport, there would be no way to bring in an NFL system to the Prem.

also the closed system kills off promotion, do we just randomly pick the 20 sides forever that get to stay in the top league?
is that out of the current 92 or do we do further down?
or just lock out those not in the Prem at that moment.
Old 06.11.2017, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

How would a true European league work? Could there be a breakaway of the top 20 teams with no relegation? How many teams from each country would receive an "invite"?
Old 06.11.2017, 02:01 PM
MVP

Bilic sacked.
Old 06.11.2017, 04:28 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffies View Post
Bilic sacked.
Moyes to be appointed tomorrow apparently.

Maybe harsh given his success at Everton, but it's hardly an inspiring appointment.
Old 06.11.2017, 04:35 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Moyes to be appointed tomorrow apparently.

Maybe harsh given his success at Everton, but it's hardly an inspiring appointment.
On a six month contract according to the rumours, hardly a ringing vote of confidence, but I suppose that way Gold and Sullivan can revisit the situation at the end of the season if or when they go down.
Old 06.11.2017, 07:38 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
How would a true European league work? Could there be a breakaway of the top 20 teams with no relegation? How many teams from each country would receive an "invite"?
big 16 teams,opt out of the EUFA competitions then split into 2 divisions of 8 so you play 14 "league" games then maybe have a mini play-off.would still play about 17 games from august to may and maybe play the 1st round of games in the states instead of the champions trophy,maybe 2 teams per nation max and maybe charge an entrance fee.sure the big networks would bid for the rights.
Old 07.11.2017, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffies View Post
Bilic sacked.
An unsurprising move. Bilic largely a victim of the board. Moyes certainly won’t do any better, I feel.

The way West Ham are being run, Bilic is probably better off out of it.