Superbowl 52. Game Thread. - Page 50 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > Gameday Forum

Old 05.02.2018, 01:05 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyrules View Post
I know people have "Pats fatigue" but if you look back at all the Super Bowls they've been in, both ones they've won and lost, they've all been great great games (well maybe bar the 2004 one vs Philly).

And actually we're living in a golden age for Super Bowls - we've had so many great ones recently. The only bad one I can remember was Seattle vs Denver in Super Bowl 48
Pretty much every one in the 80's (except SBXXIII) was a dud. My first one as a kid was XVIII and for years I thought that was how these finals played out

As a game, I don't think it was a classic. As an offensive show it was great, but great football needs some defensive counterbalance, not just one play in the 57th minute
Old 05.02.2018, 01:34 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
As a game, I don't think it was a classic. As an offensive show it was great, but great football needs some defensive counterbalance, not just one play in the 57th minute
Same, it would have been nice to have had some plays/pressure from the D. We had the fumble and INT and that's pretty much it.

Masterclass on O + a Shambles from both D's = A pretty good game overall, wouldn't put it in the classics column, last years was a classic.
Old 05.02.2018, 01:40 PM
All Pro

Talking

And Kenny Britt doesn’t get his Super Bowl ring. There is a God
Old 05.02.2018, 01:51 PM
Starter

Absolutely thrilled for my eagles. Having supported them the last 13 years its amazing to say they are finally Super Bowl champions.

Philadelphia had played such great defence all season but there was absolutely nothing until Brandon Graham made that crucial play which all that mattered in the end.

Even better I put 100 bucks on the eagles to win the Super Bowl after they demolished Denver, the icing on the cake
Old 05.02.2018, 02:12 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenmaestro View Post
Philadelphia had played such great defence all season but there was absolutely nothing until Brandon Graham made that crucial play which all that mattered in the end.
You might need to take a closer look at the game, because that was certainly not the case. The Eagles D was doing fine for the first 25mins or so, limiting Pats to 2 field goals, a missed field goal, a turnover on downs, and a savage knockout on Brandin Cooks, plus pressure on Brady & even a couple of painful looking hits on the GOAT. Eagles D contributed handsomely to their 15-3 lead, and their 22-12 HT lead, although the ease with which the Pat's scored the late first half TD looked ominous, and proved to be just so, in terms of Brady & the Pats offence cranking into touchdown gear.

Perhaps it was Pats adjustments or Eagles fatigue, or both, or neither, but the Pats scored 4 handy TD drives in a row from late in the first half to midway through the 4th quarter. I don't think the Eagles got a stop in this spell of the game, but of course got the critical stop on the Pat's second last possession of the game. The game was a bit like last year's superbowl, in that the Pats started slowly in terms of offensive points, but gradually started to accumulate yards & points for fun. The difference this year was that the Eagles never blinked offensively, and as Brett Favre apparently advised, never took their foot of the gas, unlike Atlanta a year ago, who seemed to sputter just a little offensively when the prize was in their sights.
Old 05.02.2018, 02:52 PM
All Pro

Every year I'm always irritated by the fact the NFL gives the Superbowl trophy to the owner first. We don't care about these old rich guys let the players who put their bodies on the line get it. And the constant thanking of God and Jesus can do one too.
Old 05.02.2018, 03:07 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce70 View Post
There is a God
Certainly is, according to the Eagles presentation platform anyway!

I know I always get banned when I touch on this one, but wasn't there a notable lack of black players on the presentation podium too. Malcom Jenkins for Ertz surely! Good to see the women represented too in this day & age, with the two Foles ladies! It's not Hollywood after all, apart from Bradley Cooper & JLo & Timberlake.
Old 05.02.2018, 03:17 PM
All Pro

Feel I can collect my thoughts a bit better after having some sleep, but it's still pretty raw!

My hope going into this game would be that we could for once have a comfortable win in the Super bowl, something like 42-7 just so my nerves wouldn't be completely torn to shreds! That was obviously a selfish wish rather than expectation, the only way I could for see this was that the Eagles would be overcome by the occasion and play without confidence. That of course was just not the case and the on the first drive they put together an excellent drive only to be limited to a field goal. The Eagles have shown themselves in the regular season and post-season to be a force to be reckoned with and that was certainly the case albeit on the Offensive side of the ball.

Both defenses can be pretty ashamed of themselves, each came away with a turnover, with the Eagle's being far more valuable of course. But this was a game where the offenses were able to put drives together with ease.

Our D has been pretty ropey all season, the loss of Hightower was certainly a factor but we had problems all over the defense with exception to our Safeties who have been excellent all season. Our CB's have had all kinds of problems, Malcolm Butler has been a shade of the CB he was the last 2 seasons, Stephon Gilmore has been largely awful but the biggest factor for me was losing Logan Ryan who in my opinion is one of the most underrated corners in the league and who really sured up our secondary, I'd have kept him over signing Gilmore any day of the week.

We were completely out coached in this game Pederson had a game plan and executed to perfection. The first half it was the Eagles who looked they were playing in their 3rd Super Bowl in 4 years and not us, we looked nervy, summed up in a few plays, the missed FG and XP, the Brady drop and the failed 4th Down conversion. The Eagles on the other hand looked supremely confident and played liked they'd been here before. The second half was a much better showing by our offense, Brady being Brady, getting Gronk involved in the game, clutch performances from Hogan and Amendola, the O Line doing a great job and James White/Rex Burkhead running the ball really well. But our defense continued to let us down, there was an air of inevitability with every Eagles 3rd down conversion.

Some people have made a big deal of the calls that gave the Eagles 2 TD's, the first one for me was not a TD, others may well disagree, but the 2nd one was called correctly in my opinion. However I'm not bitter about these, these didn't lose us the game, had our defense played well they would never have been in the position to make these plays, missed tackles and blown coverages all over the place cost us this game.

I'm disappointed, of course I am, I thought we'd play better, but I'm not surprised at the result. Congratulations once again Eagles fans, your team has been excellent all season and are worthy Super Bowl champions!

Onto Free Agency and the Draft!
Old 05.02.2018, 03:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni Kohoutova View Post
Certainly is, according to the Eagles presentation platform anyway!

I know I always get banned when I touch on this one, but wasn't there a notable lack of black players on the presentation podium too. Malcom Jenkins for Ertz surely!
Is this a common theme in Superbowl podiums?
Old 05.02.2018, 04:54 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
I do wonder what role Goodell's pre SB comments about re-doing the catch rule played. The refs have to think the Commissioner knows it's messed up, the teams know it's messed up, the players and fans know it's messed up, so why should we apply it to the letter?
i think the rule is a tough one to change and that 1st TD call was a huge screw up, the rules need to be the same all season long.

last offseason they said they looked at it and decided to leave it.

anythings going to seem fairly random, cos the only other way to go is the amount of time a player holds on to the ball with full control, rather than surviving the ground.
fumbles are too key to make the rule too loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni Kohoutova View Post
The Chris/Al commentary was really poor on the Ertz TD. It was reminiscent of the Jesse James play, but was clearly distinctly different, in that Ertz made a clear 'football move'. He clearly took possession, took about 2 steps (becoming a runner), before diving to break the plane. In sharp contrast, Jesse James falls over the goal line while making the catch, didn't survive the ground, never made a 'football move', so never had possession. Simple. I spotted this call immediately, and was flabbergasted to see Chris/Al debating it, saying it should be reversed etc. What were they looking at? Couldn't believe they didn't seem to spot the 'obviousness' of that call.

The Clement one probably was reversible, I agree, even though the degree of 'lack of control' was extremely minimal, which may be why he got away with it, along with the fact that everyone wants to see the Pats beat, bar Pats fans.

I don't agree with any changes to the catch rules. I think they are good. I had no difficulty on the Ertz one, and can't for the live of me figure out how many didn't see the clarity of that call, including unbelievably the two revered commentators.
the thing is you can take 300 steps with the ball but if you were going to the ground while making any part of the catch and fail to hold on, its a incomplete pass.

with this one its as close it gets, i think overall sticking with the call on the field is right.
if the call was made without any decision to go back to they might still be looking at it now, as theres no way to be 100% either way.