Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > Gameday Forum

Old 10.01.2018, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Default Playoffs. Jaguars @ Steelers.

Game thread.

Mark
Old 10.01.2018, 08:17 PM
All Pro

Despite Big Ben throwing 5 INTs against the Jags, Antonio Browns still had a big game, but it was Fournette who took the Steelers to the cleaners for 180 yards AND it was a home game for PittsburghDespite much improvement from Big Ben and the Steelers O, maybe the jags have their number? Steelers have allowed only 24 sacks in reg season (joint 3rd) so getting to the QB may be tough for Campbell and co? but then Jags are 2nd on team sacks-only 1 behind...Pittsburgh, so the battle in the trenches could be a big factor, whos O Line stands up best and for longer? Fournette has had a long season, maybe its Bells turn? Its going to be below freezing at Heinz field, will that be a factor too?
Old 10.01.2018, 09:39 PM
MVP

I think Big Ben is going to want revenge big time in this. The Jags defense is insanely good but the problem for them this week is that Bortles is going up against a very good Steelers defense. Steelers, as a whole, are playing a lot better now than they were when they met in the regular season. Low scorer for me Steelers 19 Jags 14.
Old 10.01.2018, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

The Steelers lost to the Jaguars 30-9 in Week 5. Since 2012, there have been 13 teams to face a team in the playoffs after losing by 20+ points in the regular season

Those teams went 1-12 in the postseason rematch (2014 Ravens avenged 20-point loss to Steelers).
Old 11.01.2018, 09:44 AM
Starter

Steelers win by at least 10. Big ben will be out for revenge. Think Fournette is struggling with an injury and has had a hard season.
Old 11.01.2018, 12:24 PM
All Pro

I think you're going to see a lot of Lev Bell running in this one - for Jacksonville they have to get up early and allow their D to play with a lead, and run the ball. If they go down by a TD, or by 10 early, and suddenly Bortles has to throw them back into the game, well, it could get real ugly.

Pittsburgh to win this fairly comfortably imo - Bell to have 150+ yards on the ground, and Ben to throw for 2 TDs and around 250 yards
Old 11.01.2018, 05:16 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyrules View Post
I think you're going to see a lot of Lev Bell running in this one - for Jacksonville they have to get up early and allow their D to play with a lead, and run the ball. If they go down by a TD, or by 10 early, and suddenly Bortles has to throw them back into the game, well, it could get real ugly.

Pittsburgh to win this fairly comfortably imo - Bell to have 150+ yards on the ground, and Ben to throw for 2 TDs and around 250 yards
I wonder how succesful Bell will be in this one. He's possibly/probably the best RB in the league so you'd think he'd be productive regardless, but his patient running style might play into the Jags hands a little. I wouldn't fancy my chances running at any of the Jags front 4 bar Ngakoue perhaps, and the speed they have at linebacker means they can flow to any gaps that do open up. Obviously Bell is talented enough to overcome that but it makes for interesting viewing.
Old 11.01.2018, 07:22 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
I wonder how succesful Bell will be in this one. He's possibly/probably the best RB in the league so you'd think he'd be productive regardless, but his patient running style might play into the Jags hands a little. I wouldn't fancy my chances running at any of the Jags front 4 bar Ngakoue perhaps, and the speed they have at linebacker means they can flow to any gaps that do open up. Obviously Bell is talented enough to overcome that but it makes for interesting viewing.
I think the Steelers interior can handle the Jags D in the main. Bell might not get too much on the ground, but expect him to be repeatedly targeted as a receiver. There the Steelers may have a way of unlocking the Jags pass defense
Old 11.01.2018, 09:19 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_chicane View Post
I think Big Ben is going to want revenge big time in this. The Jags defense is insanely good but the problem for them this week is that Bortles is going up against a very good Steelers defense. Steelers, as a whole, are playing a lot better now than they were when they met in the regular season. Low scorer for me Steelers 19 Jags 14.
The early part of the season the D was very good but I wouldn't use that description just now.Everyone knows about Shazier but Joe Hadens absence seemed to coincide with the start of the downturn.Artie Burns has been a reluctant tackler after expressing his concerns over CTE and Sean Spence has struggled as expected at ILB.

I think we rank 7th in both yards and points allowed but the schedule has been soft with key players missing from the opposition throughout.

Over the 2nd half of the season the likes of Brett Hundley,Deshon Kizer,Alfred Blue and Alex Collins have had big days against Pittsburgh despite all playing for struggling offenses.

Anyone who maybe only watched the game against the Pats would have a more favourable impression but that game was the exception lately.

I had hoped the scene was set for James Harrison to bring a much needed spark down the stretch but even that plan went south!!

I do think we will come through but every now and again I get flashbacks of the Tebow/Broncos game so no way am I taking this for granted.
Old 11.01.2018, 09:41 PM
Team Captain

Jags need to score off takeaways. They're not going to score enough on offense and they won't be able to limit Pittsburgh totally in the way they could Buffalo - they're not great against the run so I expect Bell to be used a lot and to move the chains enough to force Jacksonville to load the box more and create some space for their tight end and Bryant in the passing game who can't be covered by their lockdown corners.

Still think it will be close. Something like 17-10 Steelers.