NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 10.11.2017, 12:00 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma84 View Post

so you dropped your previous team?
Yep, what's your point?

This isn't a new story, I've mentioned this before. I grew up somewhere with no local teams. As in not a single team in any of the 4 English league divisions, as they were then. Like the other kids age 6 or 7, I picked a team of no local relevance. By about 2008/09 I'd really fallen out with football and barely watched it anymore, and at the same time got hugely into the NFL after discovering it and then losing touch in the 90s. I also moved to London. Not where my childhood club of choice was from. I have zero connection to that club, I don't live there, I am never going to live there, nor near. And I'd lost interest in football. 6 years later, I live in North London, London feels like my city, it's where I'm from and it's the only place I'd live in the UK. I'm also getting bored of the London NFL games between neutral teams. Why not pick your local team and start going to the football again sometimes?

If I'd happened to have bought a house in SE7 I'd be a Charlton fan. As it was, I could have gone for Arsenal or Spurs, but I chose Spurs. A few friends are fans who live near me.... makes sense.

Nothing wrong with that. In fact my 2 best friends from childhood who I'm still in touch with have both done the same - neither supported the team I did growing up and neither supports the team I do now either, but they've both changed. One is a season ticket holder who follows his League Two club home and away. I know someone else who isn't a friend, more an acquaintance, who ditto goes home and away to his new club, in the Championship.

This whole 'you must support the same club for life' thing is a bit of a myth. Plenty don't. Ditto NFL. I've lost count of the number of American fans I've met who tell me they have 2 teams or changed their team, or they support some random team not where they live. And of course you've got plenty who will have switched to the Panthers, Jaguars, Rams etc with team moves or league expansion.
Old 11.11.2017, 12:19 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
Yep, what's your point?

This isn't a new story, I've mentioned this before. I grew up somewhere with no local teams. As in not a single team in any of the 4 English league divisions, as they were then. Like the other kids age 6 or 7, I picked a team of no local relevance. By about 2008/09 I'd really fallen out with football and barely watched it anymore, and at the same time got hugely into the NFL after discovering it and then losing touch in the 90s. I also moved to London. Not where my childhood club of choice was from. I have zero connection to that club, I don't live there, I am never going to live there, nor near. And I'd lost interest in football. 6 years later, I live in North London, London feels like my city, it's where I'm from and it's the only place I'd live in the UK. I'm also getting bored of the London NFL games between neutral teams. Why not pick your local team and start going to the football again sometimes?

If I'd happened to have bought a house in SE7 I'd be a Charlton fan. As it was, I could have gone for Arsenal or Spurs, but I chose Spurs. A few friends are fans who live near me.... makes sense.

Nothing wrong with that. In fact my 2 best friends from childhood who I'm still in touch with have both done the same - neither supported the team I did growing up and neither supports the team I do now either, but they've both changed. One is a season ticket holder who follows his League Two club home and away. I know someone else who isn't a friend, more an acquaintance, who ditto goes home and away to his new club, in the Championship.

This whole 'you must support the same club for life' thing is a bit of a myth. Plenty don't. Ditto NFL. I've lost count of the number of American fans I've met who tell me they have 2 teams or changed their team, or they support some random team not where they live. And of course you've got plenty who will have switched to the Panthers, Jaguars, Rams etc with team moves or league expansion.

my point was more that you dont feel that same connection to a side, one you have been with in those hard fights and smaller wins or getting up and beating the big boys.

so its easier for you to think about plucking the top teams out. as i say its hard to argue that a Euro Super League would be great as a neutral to see those big match ups all the time.
but its would be bad for the smaller sides, no matter how tough and impossible the goal is, its nice to know its there and possible to one day rise up.
Old 11.11.2017, 10:53 AM
MVP

Quote:
my point was more that you dont feel that same connection to a side, one you have been with in those hard fights and smaller wins or getting up and beating the big boys.

so its easier for you to think about plucking the top teams out. as i say its hard to argue that a Euro Super League would be great as a neutral to see those big match ups all the time.
but its would be bad for the smaller sides, no matter how tough and impossible the goal is, its nice to know its there and possible to one day rise up.
Not at all. I lived in Germany for a time and the German team I follow certainly wouldn't be in that elite league. Indeed they aren't even in the Bundesliga currently. Still think it's a good idea... what's the point in a 34-game competition that Bayern run away with most years? And if they don't they take the players of the team who did better than them, so they will next time.

Keep the occasional games against big teams for domestic cup competitions. It might make those higher profile then. One off games are much better for upsets over the big teams. Over 34/38 games it just isn't sustainable. Leicester was a real exception... people will remember that for decades. But normal service has now resumed.
Old 11.11.2017, 01:56 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Not at all. I lived in Germany for a time and the German team I follow certainly wouldn't be in that elite league. Indeed they aren't even in the Bundesliga currently. Still think it's a good idea... what's the point in a 34-game competition that Bayern run away with most years? And if they don't they take the players of the team who did better than them, so they will next time.

Keep the occasional games against big teams for domestic cup competitions. It might make those higher profile then. One off games are much better for upsets over the big teams. Over 34/38 games it just isn't sustainable. Leicester was a real exception... people will remember that for decades. But normal service has now resumed.
Which German team do you follow?
Old 11.11.2017, 10:59 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle Eagle View Post
Which German team do you follow?
kaiserslautern. Rock bottom of 2nd division.
Old 12.11.2017, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

I understand the passion and insistence on rooting for your local team 30 or 40 years ago - back then most teams still had at least some guys playing for them from the local area, and there was a greater emphasis placed upon loyalty to clubs - it wasn't particularly unusual for a player to spend a whole career at one club.

Nowadays the game has changed beyond belief, players have no link to the local area, fans can watch a 'superior product' on TV from he comfort of their own sofa and not have the cold toes and expense of the day out.

If we here an get excited about our NFL team from 4,000 miles away, It's hard to criticise someone for supporting a football team from 150-200 miles up the road, or even several hundred miles away in Europe.

Personally Roma games give me every bit as much enjoyment as West Ham these days (though that's probably not much of a surprise) and I wear my Roma shirt every bit as often as I wear my West Ham one. (Get plenty of funny looks among the myriad Brexiteers in the area from that one )

The game is changing before our very eyes, and I don't always think it's for the best. What would be best for the England International team would probably be best for grassroots as well, but definitely wouldn't be best for the premier league. What would be best for the sport as a whole wouldn't be best for any of the big clubs across the world.

Last edited by HSTDriver; 12.11.2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12.11.2017, 08:35 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
I understand the passion and insistence on rooting for your local team 30 or 40 years ago - back then most teams still had at least some guys playing for them from the local area, and there was a greater emphasis placed upon loyalty to clubs - it wasn't particularly unusual for a player to spend a whole career at one club.

Nowadays the game has changed beyond belief, players have no link to the local area, fans can watch a 'superior product' on TV from he comfort of their own sofa and not have the cold toes and expense of the day out.

If we here an get excited about our NFL team from 4,000 miles away, It's hard to criticise someone for supporting a football team from 150-200 miles up the road, or even several hundred miles away in Europe.

Personally Roma games give me every bit as much enjoyment as West Ham these days (though that's probably not much of a surprise) and I wear my Roma shirt every bit as often as I wear my West Ham one. (Get plenty of funny looks among the myriad Brexiteers in the area from that one )

The game is changing before our very eyes, and I don't always think it's for the best. What would be best for the England International team would probably be best for grassroots as well, but definitely wouldn't be best for the premier league. What would be best for the sport as a whole wouldn't be best for any of the big clubs across the world.
although my point was never that or much to do with it.

it was more saying that getting to the prem and beating the big boys is a target fans of smaller clubs like.

and i'm pretty sure the bigger clubs would love to go off into Bobs Super League

on the England note, i believe if the player is good enough they make it through.
we just lack that level of talent.

although clubs buying young players and wasting them needs to be looked at.
Old 12.11.2017, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

on the England note, i believe if the player is good enough they make it through.
we just lack that level of talent.
I don't buy this argument at all. We have a population of 65 million people, larger than Italy, France, Spain, Argentina - the talent is being born, but not discovered or not nurtured. The issue lies with coaching and the attitude/approach of the FA and the premier league who are intent on war with each other half the time.
Old 12.11.2017, 09:56 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
kaiserslautern. Rock bottom of 2nd division.
Best place for them. Saw them in 92 at Hillsborough in an early UEFA Cup round.

Fell perfectly into the German cheating/diving stereotype of the time. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than that side.

.......not that I am one to hold generalised long standing grudges based upon limited viewing you understand
Old 12.11.2017, 10:10 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
I don't buy this argument at all. We have a population of 65 million people, larger than Italy, France, Spain, Argentina - the talent is being born, but not discovered or not nurtured. The issue lies with coaching and the attitude/approach of the FA and the premier league who are intent on war with each other half the time.
I agree. Proper Coaching and gameplanning is the essential element in any sport to success. Raw talent is honed, & moulded to repeatedly master skills and thinking to achiueve success

The British Olympic fortunes are evidence of that. Better funding has meant better, full time coaching across many sports and the return is clear. However that funding is performance based. In football, the funding is there, far greater than any other sport. But its in the main wasted and not properly policed. 2 hours of training in a morning for a pro team is laughable

The club game is all powerful. The FA made a deal with the devils in 1992 and now are paying for it as their influence continues to wane to no more than tokenism. The clubs do whats best for them and everyone else can rot.