Los Angeles Chargers Thread - Page 768 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Los Angeles Chargers

Old 16.03.2015, 07:30 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltman View Post
I just think he's a pretty serviceable OL who is being hugely over-valued because he played more than one OL position. He's neither a monster run-blocker or the sort of premium pass-protector you'd get excited about your team bringing in. Note I say over-valued, not over-rated. He's undoubtedly a better player than anything we've had a OG over the last few years, but the way some sources were talking you'd think we'd just signed a young Orlando Pace. He's a perfectly decent player, I just don't see anything about him which particularly excites me. It has addressed a fundamentally poor part of the roster though, so if the signing has the desired effect of raising the performance of the entire offence then it's all good.

Really expected more from the initial free-agency splurge than we've got, but understandably it's about numbers and I do respect a front office which wont over-pay for borderline talent. Still really concerned about some of the holes on our roster though and I don't see how we can possibly address them all through the draft and UDRFA. Undoubtedly more FA signings to come.
So Wilfork goes to Houston, amazed we didn't seem to even show an interest in him. JJ Watt and Wilfork - Blimey.

Instead our bloody office don't seem to think NT is an issue or big position which worries me greatly.
Old 16.03.2015, 08:44 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltman View Post
I just think he's a pretty serviceable OL who is being hugely over-valued because he played more than one OL position. He's neither a monster run-blocker or the sort of premium pass-protector you'd get excited about your team bringing in. Note I say over-valued, not over-rated. He's undoubtedly a better player than anything we've had a OG over the last few years, but the way some sources were talking you'd think we'd just signed a young Orlando Pace. He's a perfectly decent player, I just don't see anything about him which particularly excites me. It has addressed a fundamentally poor part of the roster though, so if the signing has the desired effect of raising the performance of the entire offence then it's all good.

Really expected more from the initial free-agency splurge than we've got, but understandably it's about numbers and I do respect a front office which wont over-pay for borderline talent. Still really concerned about some of the holes on our roster though and I don't see how we can possibly address them all through the draft and UDRFA. Undoubtedly more FA signings to come.

Fair enough, I would say he's good rather than decent, but I don't disagree with your point about being over-hyped. Over the length of his contract (should he see it out) he will get elite interior lineman money, which likely means we've overpaid a little, but that's how free agency works.
I think we've signed about the number of free agents I'd expected in the early part, but I would like some more veteran help to arrive this week.
I am also in the camp that doesn't really understand the apparent lack of interest in a NT, but it's been that way since Telesco took over.
Old 17.03.2015, 01:49 AM
All Pro

If the rumours are true and we work out something to get Greg Hardy then I'll be pretty happy with our pass rushers. If we work out something to get Greg Hardy then completely ignore the DT/NT position between now and September then I'll be bloody livid.

The lack of a true NT is the entire reason why our ILB's look helpless against the inside run and the entire reason why our outside rush is consistently one step away from finishing a play. It really is the make or break position when you play a 3/4 front and unless you have it sorted you are completely wasting your time trying to fix everything else.

We could partially get away with Lissemore and Carrethers if both Liuget and one of the other DE/OLB commanded constant double-teams, but as it is we're not gaining the largest benefit inherent in a 3-4 alignment because offences find it pretty easy to find enough guys to block or at least hinder whatever we send, as well as being able to manhandle our ILB's when they run the ball. If it's indifference or a complete lack of cognisance which is preventing this being addressed then someone seriously needs a kick in the balls.

Last edited by Boltman; 17.03.2015 at 01:56 AM.
Old 17.03.2015, 03:41 PM
MVP

Steve Johnson has agreed to join us on a 3 year deal.

I think he's a decent WR that can help us. He's never had a QB of Rivers quality so will be interesting to see what he can do for us. He will be 29 before the season.

Wouldn't be against another WR pick up such as Jennings or drafting a WR fairly high although I think the latter is less likely given other needs.
Old 17.03.2015, 06:04 PM
All Pro

Another signing which is a bit ho-hum, but hopefully we get the player of 3-4 years ago and not the more recent version. Again though, we seem to accumulate receivers who are all of the same type or share similar attributes. I think Johnson's a decent replacement in a pound-for-pound sense for Royal, but I would have liked a genuine deep-threat to compliment Allen and Floyd. Having said that, I was hugely disappointed we missed out on Andre Johnson as even at his age I think he still has more than enough left to put up significant numbers with a QB like Rivers throwing to him. Still think there's scope for picking up a young speed WR in the draft to play in 4 WR sets this season and potentially be a starter down the line.
Old 17.03.2015, 06:26 PM
MVP

I must say though, I'm a little under whelmed by this FA period. I don't dislike any of the players we've brought in and in fact I think some of them will really help us. I'm also not too concerned about some who have left although I wouldn't have minded seeing Royal stay and Gachkar stay. I guess Johnson is very like for like with Royal though.

Thing is I just thought that with our cap room we'd have made more of a splash. I still see glaring holes and I struggle to see how they can all be effectively filled through the draft.
Old 17.03.2015, 07:59 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegend View Post
I must say though, I'm a little under whelmed by this FA period. I don't dislike any of the players we've brought in and in fact I think some of them will really help us. I'm also not too concerned about some who have left although I wouldn't have minded seeing Royal stay and Gachkar stay. I guess Johnson is very like for like with Royal though.

Thing is I just thought that with our cap room we'd have made more of a splash. I still see glaring holes and I struggle to see how they can all be effectively filled through the draft.
I think most would agree with you there. RB, OG, OLB, S and NT all need significant contributors for us to make a push for the playoffs this year. Not forgetting the worrying lack of depth at some positions too (ILB & CB).

We do have some crucial players who will need extensions next year (Rivers, Weddle, Liuget and you could argue a few others), maybe that's playing on the FO's mind?. I know this happens every year to every team but signing our top three players on the entire roster before they reach free agency next year is crucial to our success over the next 5 years.

Also, looking at what the Steelers have done with Roethlisberger's new contract, there might be a possibility of us doing that too before the season starts for our key 2016 FA's i.e. front loading the contract into this year when we have the space to play with, leaving more space for us over the next few years.
Not to forget we could do that next year too if we have a chunk of space left over that can be carried forward.
Old 17.03.2015, 08:44 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegend View Post

We have zero depth in several positions and still need to fill 2 or 3 holes in Vital areas with bona fide starters. It's really worrying to be honest.

Especially if Telesco does his famous "trade a 4th rounder to move up in the 2nd" trick and leaves us with less picks again this year......

Have they learned NOTHING from the injury crisis of last year? Or do they think that they nearly got in the playoffs with an injury crisis so they could maybe navigate the season on a skinny roster?
Old 17.03.2015, 10:56 PM
All Pro

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/...?#article-copy

I don't like this........
Old 17.03.2015, 11:32 PM
All Pro

So the rumour doing the rounds is that Kevin Acee asked Telesco if we were in trade talks with Tennessee about 1.02 for Rivers....TT did not confirm or deny.

This leads to the workouts that was organised for Mariota (which some thought was due to Mariota seeing Rivers as a mentor) maybe having a larger meaning.

One factor is that nothing can really be confirmed till draft night (unless the Buccs confirm Winston at 1 early) as despite it seeming 99.9% that they will go Winston, we don't want to trade up for them to take Mariota.....

Is this why their seems to be so little FA activity because they know we are away to pick up several picks in the draft this year and next and be able to rebuild over the next 2 years for a new QB?

I can't imagine the Chargers without Rivers.....the move to LA would just be the final nail I fear!