Return of LA Raiders - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Oakland Raiders

Sponsored Links

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 17.08.2014, 02:01 PM
StuartMansfield's Avatar
StuartMansfield StuartMansfield is offline
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: 03.01.2004
Location: Here their and everywhere
Posts: 575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
As an interested onlooker and nothing more, would anyone on here stop supporting the Raiders if the moved to LA?
No chance they were the LA Raiders when I started supporting them, but knew all about their Oakland history. Did I stop supporting them when they were no longer the LA Raiders when they moved back to Oakland? No. As long as they are the something Raiders and stick with the same badge and uniform I will support them.

If they became say the San Antonio Raiders and look the same I will support them. If they became the San Antonio Oilers, change their complete uniform and badge then to me they would be classed as a new team and the Raiders would be history.

Not sure everyone would agree with this.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #12  
Old 17.08.2014, 03:29 PM
morrits69's Avatar
morrits69 morrits69 is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 17.10.2009
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartMansfield View Post
No chance they were the LA Raiders when I started supporting them, but knew all about their Oakland history. Did I stop supporting them when they were no longer the LA Raiders when they moved back to Oakland? No. As long as they are the something Raiders and stick with the same badge and uniform I will support them.

If they became say the San Antonio Raiders and look the same I will support them. If they became the San Antonio Oilers, change their complete uniform and badge then to me they would be classed as a new team and the Raiders would be history.

Not sure everyone would agree with this.
I agree with you Stuart, I'm a Raider fan. As long as they remain the Raiders I will remain a Raider fan. I would prefer them to stay in Cali personally.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 17.08.2014, 04:29 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is online now
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Location: London
Posts: 7,860
Default

For me, if the Steelers move, it would very much depend. I'm a Pittsburgh sports fan generally, been there, like the city, also support the baseball and hockey teams. If the Steelers just moved to a new town and were still the Steelers (unlikely given the name) I would probably follow them unless Pittsburgh had a new team in its place, in which case I would support that. If Pittsburgh had no team and the Steelers moved and completely changed their uniforms and team name I don't think I would support them - I think I would probably just be a fan of the NFL (which I am already really, I watch as many games as I can throughout each week, it's just that I will always choose the Steelers when they are on). Maybe I would stay neutral, maybe over time I would sympathise with someone else. Hopefully I never have to deal with any of that though!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 17.08.2014, 05:51 PM
Raider12's Avatar
Raider12 Raider12 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 05.09.2003
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 11,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartMansfield View Post
No chance they were the LA Raiders when I started supporting them, but knew all about their Oakland history. Did I stop supporting them when they were no longer the LA Raiders when they moved back to Oakland? No. As long as they are the something Raiders and stick with the same badge and uniform I will support them.

If they became say the San Antonio Raiders and look the same I will support them. If they became the San Antonio Oilers, change their complete uniform and badge then to me they would be classed as a new team and the Raiders would be history.

Not sure everyone would agree with this.
The Raiders are the Raiders, simply moving stadium to another area doesnt change who they are, still the Raiders and to be honest in thinking changes like this are probably expected of us.

However a change from Raiders, which includes uniform and badge would be a step far far to far and they would no longer be the Raiders, somehow an iconic name and history that can never be tampered with.

Mark

Last edited by Raider12; 17.08.2014 at 05:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 17.08.2014, 05:59 PM
Tamar Raider's Avatar
Tamar Raider Tamar Raider is offline
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: 12.08.2013
Location: Yelverton
Posts: 807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartMansfield View Post
No chance they were the LA Raiders when I started supporting them, but knew all about their Oakland history. Did I stop supporting them when they were no longer the LA Raiders when they moved back to Oakland? No. As long as they are the something Raiders and stick with the same badge and uniform I will support them.

If they became say the San Antonio Raiders and look the same I will support them. If they became the San Antonio Oilers, change their complete uniform and badge then to me they would be classed as a new team and the Raiders would be history.

Not sure everyone would agree with this.
Agree with this (and the others) as long as they remain the Raiders i'll support them.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 17.08.2014, 06:39 PM
boknows34's Avatar
boknows34 boknows34 is online now
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 03.03.2006
Location: Black Hole
Posts: 15,140
Default

Also agree with Stuart's thoughts. The Raiders brand, colours, history and logo must stay.

To Euro Bob: In the unlikely event the Steelers moved out of Pittsburgh I think the franchise would have a new identity like the Ravens, and the city of Pittsburgh would be promised an expansion team with the Steelers name, logo and history (much like Cleveland in the 1990s).
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 17.08.2014, 08:34 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is online now
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Location: London
Posts: 7,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boknows34 View Post
Also agree with Stuart's thoughts. The Raiders brand, colours, history and logo must stay.

To Euro Bob: In the unlikely event the Steelers moved out of Pittsburgh I think the franchise would have a new identity like the Ravens, and the city of Pittsburgh would be promised an expansion team with the Steelers name, logo and history (much like Cleveland in the 1990s).
I think that is probably right.

Where do you think the Raiders would play? I suppose in the short term they would need to use the Rose Bowl or the Coliseum. After that, are either of those 2 stadium designs even viable (the Farmers Field one and the Grand Crossing one)? I was under the impression that both groups proposing those stadiums wanted a stake in the team that plays there. What kind of stake I don't know, but is that even up for discussion with the Raiders?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 17.08.2014, 08:49 PM
morrits69's Avatar
morrits69 morrits69 is offline
Pro
 
Join Date: 17.10.2009
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Bob View Post
I think that is probably right.

Where do you think the Raiders would play? I suppose in the short term they would need to use the Rose Bowl or the Coliseum. After that, are either of those 2 stadium designs even viable (the Farmers Field one and the Grand Crossing one)? I was under the impression that both groups proposing those stadiums wanted a stake in the team that plays there. What kind of stake I don't know, but is that even up for discussion with the Raiders?
An interesting perspective from an LA point of view.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la...15-column.html
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 17.08.2014, 09:00 PM
Tamar Raider's Avatar
Tamar Raider Tamar Raider is offline
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: 12.08.2013
Location: Yelverton
Posts: 807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrits69 View Post
An interesting perspective from an LA point of view.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la...15-column.html
Interesting read, I knew the Rams were available for a move next year but didn't realise the Chargers were.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the Chargers moved to LA and we ended up is San Diego.

Actually how likely would that be?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 17.08.2014, 09:25 PM
European Bob's Avatar
European Bob European Bob is online now
MVP
 
Join Date: 11.01.2012
Location: London
Posts: 7,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamar Raider View Post
Interesting read, I knew the Rams were available for a move next year but didn't realise the Chargers were.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the Chargers moved to LA and we ended up is San Diego.

Actually how likely would that be?
Unlikely, I think. If San Diego builds a new stadium it will be for the Chargers.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 10:49 PM.